Home U.S. Coin Forum

Boeing Coin Show Report - 1/20/18

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello all -

Made my way from rainy Redmond to charming Kent, for the annual Boeing Coin Show. I rolled in around 10:30am, and wandered for a few hours, getting the lay of the land. Usual set of dealers, of course, but sadly no Charmy or Pony Express! Booooo!

Attendance seemed a little light to me, as you can see by the pics, but it seemed to be picking up a bit as I was leaving. Lots of nice coins, and lots of money being exchanged.

I felt there were a lot of Half/Large cents for a show this size. Morgan/Peace dollars stacked to the sky.

One interesting thing I did see was a complete set of O-mint Barber Halves in PCGS Fine. Beautiful, original, dirty examples. Price: $3,200. Would have LOVED to leave with that little set. Wish I had snapped a picture of those buggers. Very cool looking set!

www.westcoastcoinsoregon.com had a large impressive table (actually multiple tables)...lots of beautiful Bust, Seated, and Barber material. You name it, they had it. Original material! I need to spend some time looking at their website. Awesome inventory, and very friendly dealers. They were the bright spot for me, as far as 'eye candy' goes.

Sadly, I didn't find any upgrades to my PCGS VF Barber quarter set, but I saw a few tougher dates in PCGS/NGC Fine.

Overheard multiple dealers complaining about how no one wanted junk silver (esp Merc/Roosy rolls). Found that a little odd, but it seemed to be a theme I heard several times.

Overall, a good little coin show for the Northwest, and well worth the drive. Luckily, I was even able to avoid @Bochiman again this year! Was also able to get home without swinging into Emerald Downs to play the ponies.

Few random pics:

Only purchase (for me) was a pathetic $10 bag of junk for 12x face. Who says no one wants junk silver? Counted it when I got home. $9.75. Oh well...

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice small show. Thanks for the report.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's always been a great show, because there is a priority for Boeing employees (non dealers) on tables (at least there used to be). That way you get a lot of other-than-normal stuff. I once found a "dealer" selling a dozen trime RPDs - now that's not a common find...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report.

I hope to run into you sometime at a NW show Dave99B

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pics - thanks for posting!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Great report

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    It's always been a great show, because there is a priority for Boeing employees (non dealers) on tables (at least there used to be). That way you get a lot of other-than-normal stuff. I once found a "dealer" selling a dozen trime RPDs - now that's not a common find...

That is actually kind of cool to have Boeing employees have their own tables.

The Boeing Coin Collector medal display is cool too.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

12X face is a good price for standing liberty quarters even if you did get shorted one.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must have been there early - aisles much busier when I was there after noon. Thanks for the report!

Wish I had known ANACS was going to be there - would have brought some Carr pieces to be graded!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report - and pictures. I always liked the Boeing show when I lived there...always something good to take home... Cheers, RickO

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

The big display cases show the same thing I usually see - very few CAC stickers. I see three in the 6th photo, the 7th photo is the same case, and one in the 8th photo. I may have missed one or two, but that's a lot of slabbed coins to see so few stickers. Is this what you run into? Do CAC coins get snapped up? Is most of the stock just the same "tired" material you see show after show? Or is it just that the ratio of stickered to non-stickered is that low?

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAC stickers? Aren't the stickers, on coins in dealers' cases that say "SEND TO CAC!" good enough? That assuredly means that those coins are worth more and justify the higher prices.....they don't even need a CAC sticker for that since the dealer has marked them as "SEND TO CAC" for you ;)
    (Revick and I think a few others)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms71

I'm not really a CAC guy, so I frankly didn't notice. I try to ignore all the stickers, except for the one with the price. I can say that I saw a lot of nice, fresh material, particularly at the WestCoast table. They had a mountain of high end for the grade material (with corresponding high end prices!).

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang I missed you sorry!

“charming Kent” .... good one :mrgreen:

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a good time.

Thanks for the report.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

The set of Barber halves was indeed put together very well.

Good haul on the SLQ's. I can't say that I saw many vf barbers on the floor. If they were anywhere, they were likely in Rev's cases.

Thanks for the report

• HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    You must have been there early - aisles much busier when I was there after noon. Thanks for the report!

Wish I had known ANACS was going to be there - would have brought some Carr pieces to be graded!

ANACS will be at the PNNA in Tukwila March 16-18th

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

While going through my collection, I stumbled across this old cardboard 2x2. I've been going to the Boeing Show for quite awhile!

Dave

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report!

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    While going through my collection, I stumbled across this old cardboard 2x2. I've been going to the Boeing Show for quite awhile!

Dave

That’s awesome!

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:

Very cool! Guess the wooden nickels don’t go back quite that far! ;)

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look like a great show nice lighting big displays and I like the setup. Sucks to get ripped on a small bag of face. The little things just drive me nuts. Anyway I seen some real nice Pony Express tonight on EBay. Of course I got outbid at 2 seconds.

Great report thanks for sharing.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• FishproFishpro Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

It was a very nice show,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file