Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

*** American Innovation $1 Coin Act one step closer to reality ***

KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

From today's Coin World email newsletter

https://coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2018/01/american-innovation-1-coin-act-closer-to-reality.html

A new 57 coin series like the States Quarters and America The Beautiful Quarters but this time, like the Presidential Dollars, using Dollar coins.

Questions for you:
A good idea for Dollar coins? A good topic ?
Will you collect these ?
Did you collect the Presidential Dollars ?

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. No
    2. No
    3. No
    4. Yes, mostly the MELs.

Looks like the government shut down in the nick of time!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will be great for YN's....and educational as well... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Until they get rid of paper dollar bills these will just be a huge fail.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least it seems like the learned from the ATBQs and will be sticking to 1 per state.

• Options

I don't see these as circulating. There are a ton of dollar coins in stock ready to distribute. As fcloud says, the only way a dollar coin will circulate is to pull paper dollars. The rest of the world has learned this to a great success. A bi-metalic ringed coin is also enjoyed by thee rest of the world too. How nice if they would combine these ideas for these Innovation Dollars. But they won't. Too bad as the mint could have move into the 21st century.

I see these as being in annual sets, PF & Unc., as the only way these will be released. Hopefully they will take advantage of innovation to produce a series we will all be proud of design and execution wise.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    I don't see these as circulating. There are a ton of dollar coins in stock ready to distribute. As fcloud says, the only way a dollar coin will circulate is to pull paper dollars. The rest of the world has learned this to a great success. A bi-metalic ringed coin is also enjoyed by thee rest of the world too. How nice if they would combine these ideas for these Innovation Dollars. But they won't. Too bad as the mint could have move into the 21st century.

Instead of moving from paper dollars to coins to save money, we shut down the government. :s

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stupid is as stupid does...

There is no way we're going to get a portrait of the inventor(s) and an understandable picture of the invention in the space of the dollar coin.

It's just going to be a couple small blobs on a coin nobody ever sees...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

And mint and proof sets will remain at prez $ era levels....

I wish all these quarter and dollar series would end so we can get back to a 5 or 6 coin set.

• Options

I'm waiting for the statehood cents, nickels, dimes and half dollars. That way everyone can have a state denomination set!

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr

Do you it would be possible for the U.S. Mint to overstrike the millions of Sacagawea and Presidential in storage for this new design?

• Options
    edited March 18, 2018 12:11PM

@djm said:
    Do you it would be possible for the U.S. Mint to overstrike the millions of Sacagawea and Presidential in storage for this new design?

Of course it's possible and they've done it before. Not sure if they will now though. We're in different times now.

Here's a thread on US Mint Overstrikes:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/984354/us-mint-overstrikes

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they ever release the bazillions of SBAs that were in the vault?

Why do we need more dollar coins? They don't circulate as it is now. Unless we are getting rid of the $1 bill.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

@Cameonut said:

Why do we need more dollar coins? They don't circulate as it is now. Unless we are getting rid of the $1 bill.

Getting the public to go along with a dollar coin needs the change you offer. Many other countries have adopted a coin and ceased low denomination paper bills. First there is some opposition but quickly they gain acceptance and every day use.

I have proposed before and again now that any dollar coin must be a bi-metalic ringed coin as a majority of countries have adopted. Why we haven't taken a leadership roll on this is baffeling.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

@Cameonut said:

Getting the public to go along with a dollar coin needs the change you offer. Many other countries have adopted a coin and ceased low denomination paper bills. First there is some opposition but quickly they gain acceptance and every day use.

I have proposed before and again now that any dollar coin must be a bi-metalic ringed coin as a majority of countries have adopted. Why we haven't taken a leadership roll on this is baffeling.

Agreed. Those that travel have seen coin and currencies that make much more sense than what we have.

I'm all for a dollar coin as it is inevitable.

I also believe the only reason why we can't seem to get the dollar bill phased out is to protect Crane Currency - the only supplier of the "paper". Imagine the possibilities if we could switch to more durable plastic currency which has been used worldwide for decades.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great, now we get a legal whore house on a coin.

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    This will be great for YN's....and educational as well... Cheers, RickO

The vast majority of the population outside of the limited amount of coin collectors will be completely clueless. Think along the lines of handing a half dollar to someone in a fast food restaurant and having them ask "is this a dollar?'

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gov't must think us coin collectors are ignorant people. After all, we are the only ones who see these dollar coins. They must think we need lessons on Presidents, Native Americans, and now American Innovation.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

With one stroke of his pen, Trump could require we stop making paper $1 & $2 bills, and switch to metal. When that happens, I'll gladly collect the new issues, as I would assume then they'd actually have to circulate without a premium, along with all the stored SBA, Prez, Sac, & N.A. $1 coins that came before them........

But if these will just be minted for premium-only issue, then thanks, but I'll pass. The only reason I continue(d) with the prior ones is that they were all initially offered to the public in circulation. I'm not about to start with anything requiring a premium from the get-go.

And I'd like to stick with the current composition of the $1 coins (similar to that of our neighbor, Canada's "Loonie") and add a bi-metal $2 , similar to their Toonie.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we keep the new $1 and $2 coin portraits the same as the currency we can have a "Georgie" and a "Jeffy".

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2018 3:46PM

I like the idea of a $1 & $2 coin. I think it would be best to make both bi-metalic. Possibly making the $2 reverse bi-metalic to the $1. And using the portraits from the bills is interesting but would have two coins with Washington and two with Jefferson. Don't think that will fly.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there another G20 country that still uses paper $1?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just about to suggest a $2 coin. Enough with the little dollar coins. They always start out made for circulation, then later become just collectors items not released for common usage.
    Pull the paper dollar. Another brilliant idea that would really push the dollar coins!!!
    A Georgie and a Jeffie!!!!! That is excellent however the mint opts to change the designs every few months.
    Might as well just release monthly designs and really confuse those cashiers!!! It's so true though, whenever I hand a cashier an Ike or even a SBA, they're lost!

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

More than enouph coins made prior to 1964 to keep me more than happy hunting them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file