Home Precious Metals

Monster Box of 2018 ASEs vs. 1 Tube of 1/4 oz. 2018 AGEs vs. (5) 2018 Proof Plats?

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2018 6:52AM in Precious Metals

Assuming that sufficient funds were available for any of the above options, which?

Note - this is a rough representation of my desired mix, but I want to choose the one that makes the most sense for today’s market.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

A tube of AGE might impress the ladies more than a green box.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2018 7:16AM

Whichever of those I can get at nearest spot I would take.
    The ladies get in for free.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

I choose silver

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spot play for me for the gold first, then silver, but absolutely not the plat.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

wait for a pull back then go gold

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold, then silver.... I would not do the platinum.... Cheers, RickO

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's your mix and I like it generally--but proof Pt vs. bullion silver and gold doesn't seem "fair".
    Pt is at a 5 year low. So for a straight Ag-Au-Pt mix, I vote Pt right now. But throwing numismatic premiums into the mix makes Pt less desirable.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2018 11:56AM

It’s true that it isn’t a “fair” comparison, except that my most recent purchase was a roll of Pt Canadian Maples. I used to balance everything with about a 50:50 ratio of Modern “collectible” bullion and regular US Modern bullion (I.e., ASEs, AGEs, and my Registry Plat collection), but since the collectible component hasn’t been “on fire” for about 10 years, I’ve backed off the collectible component a bit, unless I think there’s a potential “dark horse” low mintage key in the works, such as the Unc Boys Town or the Unc Betty Ford, or an ignored Proof Plat. I do suspect that this year’s Proof Plat will sell out, but the real question is “how many?” Even then, does it matter? Thanks for y’alls inputs!

I knew it would happen.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think (guess) they will have a ridiculous mintage on the proof plats this year. (lessons from recent past)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

its almost time for the olympics so go for the gold

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I knew the best answer. I get in moods - sometimes I am in the mood for silver, sometimes gold, rarely platinum. I don't know if any one makes more sense over the other.

@bronco2078 said:

@hchcoin said:
    I wish I knew the best answer. I get in moods - sometimes I am in the mood for silver, sometimes gold, rarely platinum. I don't know if any one makes more sense over the other.

I set up a health care proxy that kicks in if anyone sees me buy platinum or palladium coins. Thats the signal that I should no longer be allowed to make any important decisions.

Excellent!

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

As much as I love the proof PAE’s , I only get one from each year.
    That’s the only platinum I own.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot about one important caveat for the platinum. It won’t spot, it won’t tone and it stores easily.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2018 9:36PM

@jmski52 said:
    I want to choose the one that makes the most sense for today’s market.

For today's market (short term) choose numismatic plat proofs. For tomorrow's market (long term) choose the bullion silver eagles.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭

Which one has incredible upside?
    Silver

Loves me some shiny!
    edited January 21, 2018 6:38AM

@carew4me said:
    Which one has incredible upside?
    Silver

Agreed . Platinum might have upside but the terrible liquidity , wide spreads , and bizarre nature of your future buyers means any profit disappears like rain in the desert.

With stuff like that you get buyers that would ask why it wasn't slabbed , or they will be pulling out the 30x loupe because the nimrods want to actually send the silly things in to be graded . Then you spend 6 days holding the buyers hand while they try to decide will they or won't they .

Those buyers will then sit on the things like that scrawny chicken in the foghorn leghorn cartoons trying to hatch the only egg she ever laid , while the spot price of platinum crashes to new lows once again

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO the end result for a stacker should always be to have more gold but with the GSR hovering close to 80 I'd say silver is currently the better buy.

Personally I haven't swapped any of my gold for silver at this level (although historically the ratio says that's exactly what one should do) but any new purchases have been strictly silver. I know your question specifically mentioned silver eagles but it should also be noted that premiums on 90% junk are as low as I have ever seen. Regularly without much effort finding nice 90% under spot and it's very liquid when you need to move it quick just like the eagles.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

edited January 21, 2018 6:59AM

@blitzdude said:
    IMO the end result for a stacker should always be to have more gold but with the GSR hovering close to 80 I'd say silver is currently the better buy.

Personally I haven't swapped any of my gold for silver at this level (although historically the ratio says that's exactly what one should do) but any new purchases have been strictly silver. I know your question specifically mentioned silver eagles but it should also be noted that premiums on 90% junk are as low as I have ever seen. Regularly without much effort finding nice 90% under spot and it's very liquid when you need to move it quick just like the eagles.

The 90% premiums are great right now I agree and it is easier to move than a monster box . If you want to sell $10 face at a time or $50 face or $1000 you just divy it up. If you break into a monster box then buyers suddenly want to gaze at each coin

Actually, the monster box I bought early last year was Effigy Mounds - I grew up near there. :) I don’t play this like a trader, so a % or two don’t really phase me much as long as I’m buying close to the competitive price for whatever it is that I’m buying. I’m probably going to go ahead with some silver. The reason I like ASEs or ATBs at this juncture is because it gives a clear delineation of what was bought when - for tax purposes. Yeah, I do like 90% too, but it seems that the market is still transitioning towards 100%. Que sera, sera.

I knew it would happen.

@jmski52 said:
    Actually, the monster box I bought early last year was Effigy Mounds - I grew up near there. :) I don’t play this like a trader, so a % or two don’t really phase me much as long as I’m buying close to the competitive price for whatever it is that I’m buying. I’m probably going to go ahead with some silver. The reason I like ASEs or ATBs at this juncture is because it gives a clear delineation of what was bought when - for tax purposes. Yeah, I do like 90% too, but it seems that the market is still transitioning towards 100%. Que sera, sera.

Why would you want a monster box of ATB's? you are going to sell for back of spot when the time comes

I actually like ATBs, and truth be told, I’d much rather have them than FRNs. ;)

I knew it would happen.
    edited January 22, 2018 12:59PM

@jmski52 said:
    I actually like ATBs, and truth be told, I’d much rather have them than FRNs. ;)

Why go out of your way to buy the most illiquid items though? If I wanted 500 ounces of silver I'd buy 5 100 oz bars then with the leftover money I'd buy the effigy mound puck and put it on my desk so I could look at it.

10 years from now you are going to sell that monster box for spot if you are lucky unless you have 6 months to place it in the hands of the one guy that wants it.

When I cash in my stack I don't anticipate having to do it in 20 minutes time but I could unload at least half of it in a few days without getting slaughtered. The other half might take 6 months to unwind over ebay or a few visits to coin shows

The market is always transitioning somewhere , but it will never move an inch in the direction of the pucks

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the monster box.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

monster box does not need one future buyer, 500 opportunities to sell when the time comes.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

I probably won't ever buy another box of pucks, but when I sell them, it will be a roll (100 oz) at a time, just like when I sell ASEs, it will most likely be a roll (20 oz) at a time. Bars hold not much interest for me, I can't help it. :)

Hey, I keep reading more often now that metals are going up this year. Think it might be true? B)

I knew it would happen.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) Silver
    2) Gold
    3) Platinum, in the order you listed them. I think Silver is the most depressed, currently. So the more, the merrier. My opinions are usually wrong. Bet against me.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

Hey, I keep reading more often now that metals are going up this year. Think it might be true? B)

Seems to be the story at the start of every year, at least as long as I have paid attention. This year seems as good as any. Debt still out of control and I suspect it will get worse with all the corporate tax breaks that were just handed out. Artificially overinflated stock and housing markets again and a US dollar that's barely worth the paper it's printed on. All should be good for metals, logically speaking. Who knows, your guess is as good as any.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

This thing goes up and down more than a newlywed ;)

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    I probably won't ever buy another box of pucks, but when I sell them, it will be a roll (100 oz) at a time, just like when I sell ASEs, it will most likely be a roll (20 oz) at a time. Bars hold not much interest for me, I can't help it. :)

jmski52: Aren't your rolls of pucks 50ozs? I've only got one tube (2016 Cumberland) and it's ten 5oz pucks.

And yes, Effigy Mounds is pretty cool.

@VanHalen I bet that roll has some heft to it. I haven't seen a full roll in person before. Very cool.

VH, you’re correct, a puck roll is 50 oz. I haven’t opened the monster box, so I forgot the breakdown. I once thought of collecting a roll of each issue, but it was too late when the thought crossed my mind.

I knew it would happen.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

How are the 5 ox pucks doing? I have many dating back to the BU's in 2010.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.