Home U.S. Coin Forum

1853 Engraved Half Dollar with Arrows

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2018 12:44AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Given all the discussion of engraved coins recently, I thought this half dollar with arrows sold by Steve Hayden last month was interesting. It looks like it used to be a pin. Imagine wearing this at the local IOOF meeting for Smyrna, likely in Syracuse.

Here's some info on Smyrna:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smyrna,_New_York

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The engraving is very nicely done....Must have been an ID pin.... nicer than those silly paper stick on badges given at most events....Cheers, RickO

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very nice!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I like the engraving. Well presented, and it makes for a very handsome show piece.

EAC, ANA Member
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

In case anyone doesn't know.....IOOF = International Order of Odd Fellows. It is (was?) a fraternal organization.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the beehive represents.

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    The engraving is very nicely done....Must have been an ID pin.... nicer than those silly paper stick on badges given at most events....Cheers, RickO

HELLO MY NAME IS

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait a minute......."D.P. Brown?"

I thought Doc Brown ended up in 1885!

:)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does Steven Hayden post here? It seems he has a endless supply of quality civil war tokens. Just wondering and thank you for the coins Mr. Hayden

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Does Steven Hayden post here? It seems he has a endless supply of quality civil war tokens. Just wondering and thank you for the coins Mr. Hayden

I agree. I wonder how he comes across so many!

I'm not aware of him on these forums but it would be great if he were.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file