Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Things that surprise you

Let’s post anything card related that surprises you.... might be a fun thread and we might learn some things.... for me I am surprised at how many 87 Donruss Maddux 10’s there are because always seemed it was a very tough card when busting boxes. Second, 2001 Bowman Drew Brees has zero 10’s and a relatively small amount graded. Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

How condition sensitive some “junk era” late 80’s, early 90’s cards are. In my opinion, it doesn’t matter that they literally made millions of cards in this era, some cards will never exist in a PSA 10 grade.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea who how or when did the original cataloging of vintage cards, aside from Jefferson Burdick's significant work.

Who made the lists? :o

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have hundreds of TV channels. 24 hours a day I can watch news, weather, hunting, cooking, buy ridiculous items at prices well over their actual value, learn how to get rid of saggy skin and even one that asks the question "Do you poop enough?". Hell, at Christmas time there is a channel that shows a fire burning in a fireplace 24 hours a day. Yet, with all these channels, there is not one program that I can find that involves the card and memorabilia hobby.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2018 1:10PM

I’m going to double dip in this thread, instead of just editing my original post. I’m suprised of the rarity of early 70’s and earlier baseball unopened. I believe there are still “finds” out there, and that SOME of this stuff isn’t as rare as it seems.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Yet, with all these channels, there is not one program that I can find that involves the card and memorabilia hobby.

Overall, I agree. It would be nice to have at least one weekly show dedicated to the hobby. There are few out there, like a couple episodes of Strange Inheritance that have dealt with cards. Occasionally on American Pickers, storage auction, or pawn shows you'll see cards briefly. I never got Back 9 Network, but this show was on there as well as YouTube if interested in golf cards/mem: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqmFSp6XawdjiirlnZ06JTw If the comic book and vintage toy crowd can get shows, there should at least be an attempt at one sports cards/mem related on one of the basic cable channels. I'd much rather watch that than half of what the various ESPN channels put out these days.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my surprises stem from my own ignorance. What I mean is, I have sort of an internal clock, if you will, that is familiar with the eras/sports/issues/players that I have previous experience in. When I begin to branch out in new territory I carry with me what I believe to be a rough estimate of worth, based on my previous experiences with similar items. It's when I come across things that have a dramatically different worth, be it lower or higher, than what I thought, that my interest gets piqued and I become surprised. Late-20s Gehrig cards, 50s regional cards, Star basketball cards, etc.

Arthur