Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Will someone please identify this cob?

Thanks,

The coin is a Real, assayer "B." I need to confirm the country and ruler.

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

With the P mintmark, it is Potasi, Bolivia, but the P could also stand for Peru, since Potasi was part of the viceroyalty of Peru. The assay mark (B) was Juan Ballesteros (1577-1587). All the shield cobs before 1617 are undated. I am not a cob expert, but knew that I had the book "The Practical Book of Cobs, 1990" so I looked at the book. I could be wrong, but that's what you get having a cob rookie look things up. My expertise is Canadian Vicky Large Cents.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have guessed it was from Vatican City since it is Holey.

Other than that, no idea, but I would like to get some cobs someday.

• Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2018 1:39AM

I'm also a cob rookie who likes to look things up. Using the info syl gave it appears to be this coin: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces61946.html

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

BTW, the assayer Juan Ballesteros (assay mark "B") returned to the job and worked on and off from 1591-1615 with other assayers

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Information from a total Inexperienced COB person.
    3 types of COBS Hammered produces rough irregular coins, milled produced roughly round but not well defined which came later than the Era in discussion and ROYAL. ROYALS were nice and round and we're made for royals only, so they were better made. If real, extremely rare as they were made in very limited quantity for Royal use only. Cautious approach as there are many fakes available but if real another word for rare is Expensive.