Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Yet another NYINC post!

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 16, 2018 12:56PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Really, I could write a 2 page essay. Let me cut to the chase.

Had loads of fun and met some great forumites in person and saw some neat coins. Wished I hadn't missed a few others.

Ate too much cheesecake and it was good.

Didn't buy a single medal as the ones I really wanted were seen after my rather large budetary indiscretion.

Found out previewing auctions is one of the best parts. Saw/touched a Yap stone in said preview, among other things. Sitting in on the auctions for parts was also entertaining too. Watched a lady duke it out with a phone bidder to get a fantastic Italian coin. That one got applause.

Bought some cool little items (a fun 5 sen variant from Karl Stephens), a 20 sen upgrade I didn't know I was shopping for, a 10 sen date I wanted (HJB and very reasonable). Spent a whopping $5 with two different dealers (who'd of figured that one???). Stopped by a lot of dealers and most of them were very nice and helpful. Otherwise visited the usual suspects.

Peeked at a couple lots in the upcoming Stephen Album auction--they did not photograph well, and were much nicer in hand. Nice people there too. One of their fellow Santa Clara sellers was burned out and they are letting him work out of their spaces(!).

Found not one, but two, Japanese chogin money to buy.

Finally found Subalpine Italian State under Napoleon I've been wanting (with a bit of wear the one female allegory looks about 8 months pregnant). That was a Josh/Civitas buy. Poor Josh. I stop at his table at every show and literally say 'I'd like to buy something I don't collect', without necessarily knowing what that is. This time I'd seen that coin on his website but forgot to ask him to bring it. Fortunately it was there anyway, along with an ancient (Hercules strangling the lion, a theme borrowed and used on Albanian coins) and who doesn't need the Malay Peninsula chicken coin?

Speaking of Albania, the highlight started as a mental freak out (sorry for those of you who had to hear me freaking...I got over it :smiley: ). A highly desired Albanian coin that is rarely seen turned up in someone's case, When seein it is usually very baggy (supposedly most of the gold left Albania in the back seat of King Zog's getaway car going over bouncy mountain roads). The price was waaayyy more than I intended to spend at the show, including a cool yen auction. But, this has a mintage of 500, they aren't usually even remotely close to gem, and they don't come up for sale very often. At all. So, I held my nose and wrote a check.

A few of the buys:

Ansei era, very debased silver content in these:

Doesn't she look pregnant?

The 20 sen I found:

The Albanian (sounds like a movie title):

Comments

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pieces. I really like the Albanian :smile: .

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Great buys for the lady with the purple bag! ;)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to finally meet you, Stork. Glad you got over the Albanian purchase. That was a fantastic find and a great addition!

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    Nice to finally meet you, Stork. Glad you got over the Albanian purchase. That was a fantastic find and a great addition!

It didn't take too long :smiley:

Once I sat down and looked over the sales archives I have access to it reminded me this was not something I could find easily. In fact I was an underbidder last year for one of the 63s at Heritage, and recall wishing I'd bid more then.

PCGS has graded one in 62, NGC has graded 15 including a solo 64, 65, and 66. I know who has the 64 (and it's owner isn't a seller anytime soon that I'm aware of....and I've hinted!). Not that I have to have a certain number on a label, but just as a relative score keeping and I'm not likely to buy a raw coin at these levels without eyes on and/or agent.

With a mintage of 500 plus the (alleged) history of most of the Albanian gold, really what are the odds I'd find this one again? 2017 was a big year for similar words though and who knows what those Italian collectors are holding onto right now and when they might sell. But I had to go with my gut and my gut finally said "Hold your nose and buy the dang coin or you will fuss about it forever".

The coin I didn't bid on was a type III 1870 yen...not found too often, but they do turn up periodically. I happened to like the one selling at Stacks and probably would have gone for that and maybe something else...but those will all turn up again.

In the end, WORTH IT.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. II enjoyed having the opportunity to meet you.... Congrats are in order in connection with the Albanian. Well played and finding such an addition makes a show such as this all the more worthwhile.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Great report. II enjoyed having the opportunity to meet you.... Congrats are in order in connection with the Albanian. Well played and finding such an addition makes a show such as this all the more worthwhile.

I second that!

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice pickups Stork. Huge congrats on that scarce Albanian gold 100 Franga. A great acquisition and I can feel your excitement and passion coming through my monitor! Great job!! Never been to NYC myself...I would love to someday make it to this show.

Jeff

• Options
    GreigGreig Posts: 89 ✭✭

I am very impressed that this forum has had so many different threads devoted to this show!

Fortunately, Stork's description of her purse (purple) was the key to my meeting her; I would have liked some more time, but the crowded aisles (described in other threads) and the fact that she was seated at a dealer's table kept our conversation short.

My buying experience was similar to Stork's; Del Parker had some gorgeous Irish Free State coins that he had obtained recently and I ended up spending more than I had intended on two of them (1933 half crown and 1937 florin). I stupidly didn't take photos of them before dropping off at the PCGS table, but will have some TrueViews...eventually.

Overall, the new setting for this show is somewhat better than at the Waldorf-Astoria in my opinion. especially having everybody in one room. The lighting was pretty good. My one beef is the width of the aisles, 'way too small (especially compared to the big shows (e.g., the ANA August shows) that used to take place at the Rosemont (IL) Convention Center). As always, the best part of shows like this is the chance to talk to people; got some great stories from Bill Murray and a very personable Florence dealer, Matteo Cavedoni, and, as always, thoroughly enjoyed seeing Wolfgang Meirer (who sold me some great looking German Empire minors) and Karl Stephens, among others.

God willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be there next year!!

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Poor Josh. I stop at his table at every show and literally say 'I'd like to buy something I don't collect', without necessarily knowing what that is.

And yet we always seem to find something. :)

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more I think about it that Albanian coin was a must have. Looked great in hand and while not a bargain, seemed to be priced right. Congrats again.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's only money.