Home Precious Metals
Options

Raw Morgan vs Peace Price Differential

skier07skier07 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

From Stacks Bowers Daily Gold Fax

Pre 1921 Morgan VG+ 22/24
Peace Circulated 15.75/17

Why do the pre-21 Morgans sell for so much more? I get it, they’re older and more desirable, but at the end of the day the silver content is the same and it’s still “junk” silver. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

My question exactly. I have been trying to trade Peace for Morgans to fill an album unsuccessfully. I would just assume the collectible factor(numismatic value) as the culprit.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

People are enamored with the "wild west" and Morgans in general. No so on post WW1 Peace dollars. You won't find takes for even up trade, grade for grade.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought it was because they melted all those pre 1921 morgans so while we have the original mintages we don't know how many of each kind got melted.

The peace dollars are decades newer for one thing and we also know the commons are actually common

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd much rather have peace dollars than Morgans, but I know I'm in a very small minority.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan/Peace dollars are not "junk" silver unless they're culls. Notice they're paying around silver value for culls, premiums for everything else.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having looked for a Peace dollar recently, I can tell you that the prices are not cheap....of course, it may be just what I am looking for...and my critical eye. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PachuckoPachucko Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited January 15, 2018 6:17PM

@Weiss said:
    I'd much rather have peace dollars than Morgans, but I know I'm in a very small minority.

I'm with you; I think the Morgan is a little ugly.

• Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

I find the Peace more aesthetically pleasing.

1922/3 Peace dates should trade at the same level as '21 Morgans....most other Peace dates had much lower production numbers, but the Morgan seems to be much more highly collected...

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭

Did not realize SB buys and sell bullion morgan etc is their s minimum in buying and selling them?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are some of you complaining the coin you like is too affordable? :p

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giantsfan20 said:
    Did not realize SB buys and sell bullion morgan etc is their s minimum in buying and selling them?

I have never bought or sold from them. I don’t know.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've sold very few raw circ Peace Dollars to retail customers. I sell tons of pre 21 Morgans though. It's about supply and demand. Morgan Dollars have a much wider collectors base, not to mention the set is huge. So if I have a customer wanting to build a set I will go out of my way to help him out. This locks in a steady customer for years and years.