Home U.S. Coin Forum

"The only STUPID Question..."

"...Is the Question that goes unasked."
I heard this statement more in Army Basic Training in 1972 than, "being dropped for 10". My "stupid questions" earned me a teacher's aide position later in college. Statistically, if one person has a question, another person probably harbors the same thought.

No Question is "Stupid"

Comments

• BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

OK ! ????

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sowwwww...Patwick; what was the weason for this unnecessawy and awbitwawy qwestion?

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about STUPID answers?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    What about STUPID answers?

Pete

If I remember correctly, those are free. Answers requiring thought cost extra.

• 1patwick1patwick Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Can I ask a stupid question? What brought this up?

@WildIdea said:
    No stupid questions, agreed, but I'm going back to the Omega thread!

-Go back to the Omega Thread.

The purpose? Many new collectors in most threads can be overwhelmed by the collective knowledge of contributors.

Stupid answers are a detriment to the author.

This post was meant for new contributors only not established collectors. No offense meant.

We're just having a little fun. No harm meant.

Cheers

Bob

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard it put that way before.

I was lucky and @zoins helped me ease into this group. The point is,
    Were you, the original respondents, reluctant to post a question?
    That's my point.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1patwick said:
    That's my point.

NEVER! That's how you learn. Questions are another way of discovering the knowledge of another person, perhaps even the experts here. Questions are often helpful to the teacher. That's how they learn too!

@ms71 said:
    When I was an in the Navy and an instructor at the USN Electronics Technician school in Great Lakes, IL in the 1970s, I used to preach that to every new class the first time I walked into the room, before I started the lesson plan. Then, when the very first question was asked, I always replied with: "that's the stupidest &%#$?&# question I've ever heard!".

I was in the Army's Field Radio Mechanic Center(FRMC) at Ft. Sill OK

Electronic Techs may be more anal than collectors! LOLOLOLol...
    It may be a prerequisite to collecting...nah, I was anal at age 11 with cents, nickels and dimes.

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2018 5:22PM

deleted

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive found the Search function to work well and usually find answers there that already address many inquiries. If I have legitimately exhausted the information there I would post a question without hesitation.

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

1patwick - I went to an Army school in 1973. USASCS, Ft. Monmouth NJ for a course in maintaining a piece of crypto equipment (the Signal Corps HQ later moved to Fort Gordon, GA). They tried to talk me into staying there as an instructor, but I had orders to a Naval Facility in the Bahamas. Not a hard choice, the Bahamas (which counted as sea duty) or NJ.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one you did not ask or know the answer to. Basic in 1969.

AW!! I broke my arm at Oakland Depot and was sent to Korea rather than Vietnam (damaged goods).'' "It shoulda been me" Oh well, tomorrow's Tuesday... lol.

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also did boot camp in 1969.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
    edited January 8, 2018 6:54PM

@Kkathyl said:
    Does this bust look ok

It's very impressive, but I just want to ask you a few questions.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I always say, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

But seriously, if one person has a question there is a very good chance others do, too, and they'll probably secretly thank you for asking it.

Boot in 1/72 at Ft. Campbell KY, the last training cycle thru there. Got a hernia in 4th week and completed basic. I took Radio Repair at Ft. Sill - After surgery. Unfortunately, I didn't collect Military Payment Certificates (MPC's). My loss but there were only $1.,$5., $10. & $20. The koreans discarded obsolete and non-negotiational bills.

I wrote this blog in hopes that New Members will...ask questions and spread their knowledge... freely. My 'expertise' is limited to So-Called Dollars of the West Coast - a very small niche on these boards. As seen on another 'old thread' in SCD's, " Would more PCGS slabbed So-Called Dollars increase interest in So-Called Dollars?"
    The above thread drew more comments to "So-Called Dollars" than other threads. I'd guess we offer experience rather than advise ("advise is like as____...").

To me, SCDs are a black hole. In other words, privately issued in unknown quantities (in some cases), and seemingy arbitrary definitions (SCD vs medal). The whole thing seems so undefined. Of course, that also opens up all sorts of possibilities. No rules, just collect what you like. And of course, some of them are extremely attractive and/or historical.

Is a gross of gross grouse 144 foul fowl?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... I attended Navy boot camp in '59 and Radio School followed that...The 'no stupid questions' statement was used, often, in both scenario's.....Seemed to be part of teaching's credo.....and I thoroughly agree with it. Cheers, RickO

@Outhaul said:
    Is a gross of gross grouse 144 foul fowl?

"Well! Let me say this about that....Well stated!

• Uh geez, I thought I was gonna read on coins instead of something from my Navy days. The bad thing is that if ms71 was still teaching at ET-A school in '79, then I probably got lessons from him; and then he mentions crypto gear and Fort Gordon, GA. I swear I'm gonna have a headache tonight. My tour of duty was '78 to '85 and was on an aircraft carrier, and then on a small fast-frigate as the TACAN Tech. I had fun B)

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

A question is only stupid the THIRD time you ask it ;)

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just please do not ask if a common coin that looks like it has been run over by a tank is a rare mint error.

• Sun DiegoSun Diego Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

Asking your wife for sympathy when you are sick. Especially if she is a RN.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Never heard it put that way before.

......or after! :)

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know. Every time someone asks me about a "bowtie fantastic" (and then argues about the answer), I need to reconsider "stupid". :wink:

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2018 10:02AM

I never have problem asking questions....
    However my problem is seeing the questioner got so defensive; bordering argumentative with the responses :s rather than being open minded ;)
    .....well my little lovebird does NOT like his feathers ruffled up either >:)

@Insider2 said:

@1patwick said:
    That's my point.

NEVER! That's how you learn. Questions are another way of discovering the knowledge of another person, perhaps even the experts here. Questions are often helpful to the teacher. That's how they learn too!

<3 don't ruffle my feathers please <3

On occasion I find that a question I have is based on the fact that something I have been told does not make sense to me, and my attempt to understand the logic behind the answer leads me to realize that the "expert" has no idea what he/she is talking about. (That is NOT the case here, just generally in the outside world).

As for here on the forum, I used to say "there are no stupid questions", but I want to amend that to: "there are no stupid questions, only stupid people". No offense, of course, but I figure any question is fair game once or even twice, but when it is asked repeatedly and the answers are ignored, well....

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ruffles have ridges.

Feather me this, Batman.

See? There are stupid answers.

I can't yet explain repetitive stupid questions, though.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't yet explain repetitive stupid questions, though.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people that ask questions. ;)

thefinn

Reminds me of a line that was supposedly from an old John Wayne move: "Life is hard. Life is harder for stupid people."

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

No stupid questions?

Have you ever listened to Congress?
    How about stupid answers?

Frank

BHNC #203

• halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    <3 don't ruffle my feathers please <3

Do you have a pair . . . of errr . . . Lovebirds?

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

He lost his better half awhile ago and became hostile to any potential so he is exercising his abstinence for time being.
    <3 remains very tame and loving toward human though :)

@halfhunter said:
    Do you have a pair . . . of errr . . . Lovebirds?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file