Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1960 D lincoln cent small date rolls

privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭


Hello all. Certainly these rolls had been sitting somewhere for years. The tape has yellowed with age. Bought these about a year ago for $1.99 each. Question is do i keep them as they are, or open and search for a small over large date?

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

Comments

  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

    well there not original bank rolls. so sure pop them open and search. they didn't come from the bank that way so they might have already been searched

    New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING


  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What COINS MAKE CENTS said.

  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 25,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think you overpaid.........................................

    bob ;)

    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

    May be a fun afternoon project getting them out of the rolls. Those look like freezer rolls.

  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

    .> @AUandAG said:

    I think you overpaid.........................................

    bob ;)

    I remember pulling all kinds of 60-D small date cents from circulation as late as 1967. They are not rare.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

    RE: "I remember pulling all kinds of 60-D small date cents from circulation as late as 1967. They are not rare."

    True. But in in 1960/61 they were going for huge prices. A fellow inmate at reform school had several rolls and sold them for quite a bit. The rest of us were very jealous. ;)

  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2018 3:35PM

    @AUandAG said:
    I think you overpaid.........................................

    bob ;)

    I think you underpaid, and I definitely think you should open them and search for small over large dates (my avatar). I've never found one in a roll, but I know of others who have. My one and only find in the wild was in an album where it occupied the small date slot.

    @RogerB said:
    But in in 1960/61 they were going for huge prices.

    They peaked in 1964 at about $22 per roll ($175 in today's dollars).

    @BuffaloIronTail said:
    I remember pulling all kinds of 60-D small date cents from circulation as late as 1967. They are not rare.

    Did you find any 1960 Philly small dates in circulation? I've been searching since the early 1960's and have never found one. Neither has anyone else, as far as I know. The entire mintage of approximately 2 million was evidently captured before they could be released into circulation.

  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I pulled a roll of 60-D SD's out of circulation in the Chicago area but I never saw a 1960-P SD either.

  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'll check them all soon. I didn't think it was that bad of a deal especially when they are all red uncirculated. Only equals out to 3.98 cents each, not a big loss for a radical chance. Thanks for all the opinions.

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Barberian said:
    I pulled a roll of 60-D SD's out of circulation in the Chicago area but I never saw a 1960-P SD either.

    That's because you and I live in "Denverland".

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The only 1960 small over large date is a Philadelphia proof. So you won't find any of those is a solid Denver Mint business strike roll.

    There is, however, a 1960-D large over small date (with boldly re-punched mint mark). There is also a 1960 [Philadelphia] proof large over small date variety.

  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2018 10:24PM

    I think the typewritten labels are an indicator that they've been put away for some time which is interesting in itself.

    I would search them since there's really nothing to lose.

  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Is this the variety your referencing?

    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/82867

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2018 11:52PM

    @dcarr said:
    The only 1960 small over large date is a Philadelphia proof. So you won't find any of those is a solid Denver Mint business strike roll.

    There is, however, a 1960-D large over small date (with boldly re-punched mint mark). There is also a 1960 [Philadelphia] proof large over small date variety.

    The 1960-D is a small over large date, and is recognized as such by all three major grading services. Several that I'm aware of were found in solid Denver small date business strike rolls.

    FS-101

  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Overdate said:

    @dcarr said:
    The only 1960 small over large date is a Philadelphia proof. So you won't find any of those is a solid Denver Mint business strike roll.

    There is, however, a 1960-D large over small date (with boldly re-punched mint mark). There is also a 1960 [Philadelphia] proof large over small date variety.

    The 1960-D is a small over large date, and is recognized as such by all three major grading services. Several that I'm aware of were found in solid Denver small date business strike rolls.

    FS-101

    Yes, that is correct, my mistake.
    The 1960-D small over large date looks at a glance like a LARGE DATE (your avatar, of course).

  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @dcarr said:
    The 1960-D small over large date looks at a glance like a LARGE DATE (your avatar, of course).

    Yes, on all of the digits the small date is overwhelmed by the large date. The outline of the small date over the large date digits is the main clue as to which size was punched first. It's my favorite Lincoln cent, which is the reason it's my avatar.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well worth searching those 'rolls' since they are not OBW..... let us know what you find...Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Barberian said:
    I pulled a roll of 60-D SD's out of circulation in the Chicago area but I never saw a 1960-P SD either.

    I agree. I had to purchase a 1960-P SD from an ad in a coin magazine way back when. (I live in an Indiana Suburb of Chicago)

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2018 12:41PM


    Ok. Just finished. No overdates, but there were 10 of these. Looks like a cracked die in the 6?

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Probably a die chip, very common in this date.

  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @mannie gray said:
    Probably a die chip, very common in this date.

    I assembled a whole roll of die chip 1960-D small dates from a search of eight rolls of that date.

  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BuffaloIronTail said:

    @Barberian said:
    I pulled a roll of 60-D SD's out of circulation in the Chicago area but I never saw a 1960-P SD either.

    I agree. I had to purchase a 1960-P SD from an ad in a coin magazine way back when. (I live in an Indiana Suburb of Chicago)

    Pete

    It would be interesting to discover the story behind how all the 1960 small date cents were intercepted before they could reach circulation. I don't think any other 20th century coin shares that distinction. Even the 1950-D nickel saw a substantial quantity released to circulation (I found three).

  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Overdate said:

    @AUandAG said:
    I think you overpaid.........................................

    bob ;)

    I think you underpaid, and I definitely think you should open them and search for small over large dates (my avatar). I've never found one in a roll, but I know of others who have. My one and only find in the wild was in an album where it occupied the small date slot.

    @RogerB said:
    But in in 1960/61 they were going for huge prices.

    They peaked in 1964 at about $22 per roll ($175 in today's dollars).

    @BuffaloIronTail said:
    I remember pulling all kinds of 60-D small date cents from circulation as late as 1967. They are not rare.

    Did you find any 1960 Philly small dates in circulation? I've been searching since the early 1960's and have never found one. Neither has anyone else, as far as I know. The entire mintage of approximately 2 million was evidently captured before they could be released into circulation.

    I did find one, exactly one, since 1960.
    And that was recently, within the last 5 or so years

    Frank

    BHNC #203

  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Search and have fun

    Steve

    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Overdate said:

    @BuffaloIronTail said:

    @Barberian said:
    I pulled a roll of 60-D SD's out of circulation in the Chicago area but I never saw a 1960-P SD either.

    I agree. I had to purchase a 1960-P SD from an ad in a coin magazine way back when. (I live in an Indiana Suburb of Chicago)

    Pete

    It would be interesting to discover the story behind how all the 1960 small date cents were intercepted before they could reach circulation. I don't think any other 20th century coin shares that distinction. Even the 1950-D nickel saw a substantial quantity released to circulation (I found three).

    Theory I put forth in a recent COINage article:
    Since 1959 was the first year of the Memorial reverse, the two mints overproduced to meet anticipated demand. The supply carried over into 1960, especially in Philadelphia.
    Then in 1960, Philadelphia struck a relatively small number of cents with the Small Date before switching that production line over to filling several back orders for foreign coins, some of which were in the same bronze alloy that would otherwise have gone into cents. While this was going on, Denver produced a much larger number of Small Dates before switching over to Large Dates.
    A collector quickly noticed the difference and reported it to Numismatic Scrapbook Magazine. Word got out, and speculators ferreted out the 1960-P Small Dates which were still in the pipeline.
    TD

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @CaptHenway
    Do you have any estimates for the number of 1960 Philly small dates struck? I've read a few estimates in the 2 million range for circulation strikes and 100,000 for proofs. If monthly production figures are available for that year, it could be the case that coins struck in January were small dates while coins struck in February or later were large dates.

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Overdate said:
    @CaptHenway
    Do you have any estimates for the number of 1960 Philly small dates struck? I've read a few estimates in the 2 million range for circulation strikes and 100,000 for proofs. If monthly production figures are available for that year, it could be the case that coins struck in January were small dates while coins struck in February or later were large dates.

    Philadelphia struck 2,075,000 cents in January of 1960, along with similar quantities of other denominations, and then spent most of January and all of February striking foreign coins. Not sure when in March they resumed striking U.S. coins, but by then the cent dates had changed.

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @CaptHenway
    Thanks, can you tell me in which issue of COINage magazine your article appeared?

  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

    So...just curious...did they come out of the tubes easily? I have a lot of wheaties sorted by date / MM and I cannot get the coins out.

    K

    ANA LM
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ElKevvo said:
    So...just curious...did they come out of the tubes easily? I have a lot of wheaties sorted by date / MM and I cannot get the coins out.

    K

    There was one brand of tubes that say Mehgrig on the bottoms that shrank with age. Monstrous pain getting the coins out. Other brands OK.

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Overdate said:
    @CaptHenway
    Thanks, can you tell me in which issue of COINage magazine your article appeared?

    Feb. 2017

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ElKevvo said:
    So...just curious...did they come out of the tubes easily? I have a lot of wheaties sorted by date / MM and I cannot get the coins out.

    K

    Both caps were difficult to open. After the caps, one roll came easy, the other took some tapping to get them all out.

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file