Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where are all the AU58 Buffs?

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is becoming harder and harder to find common date Buffs in AU58. I know that they have too little a value to send in for grading, but many were graded AU58 when being sent in for MS consideration. At least that is my opinion. At my local coin club(now expired), I heard many stories of this occurring for all coins sent in. I feel it is true. I think that if folks would place a fair value on these coins they would sell well above the price lists.
Jim


When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yeah I only saw one semi decent AU58 on eBay last time I glanced.

    Might be time to not focus on the holder grade so much and look for AU55's.

    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Maybe it is time for me to revisit my not inconsiderable store (hoard - yeah, that's the ticket .. the RickO Hoard) of Buffs to see if there are candidates for this most desirable grade. Nah.. that would mean I would have to part with coins....(shudder)... the very thought of it makes me ill..... ;) Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

    a quick look at the pop report shows around 9k Buffalo Nickels graded AU58. I suppose there are some out there, but I'd presume that the vast majority of them were cracked out and either resubmitted or sold raw as Mint State coins.

  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2018 7:57AM

    There are tons of them, they are just still raw. Why would people pay $20 to slab a $6 coin?
    I agree that many mistakes were probably cracked out again.

  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I agree, they are surprisingly hard to find.

  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 14,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

    For your search just type in “Buffalo Nickel BU” and they’re all there for ya :)

    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

    They are sitting in plastic holders labeled "MS-63" or some other fantasy.

  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AYE, there's the rub....or "That coin rubs me the wrong way"...or "My cabinet has friction" all apply here, as well as Roger's comment about MS-63.

    I think 63 (Choice) is pushing it a little. I have seen coins that I thought were 58 that ended up MS.

    Must be the lighting.

    Anyway, 58's are around. Some of them are actually "Super 58" coins that come back 62

    Would CAC recognize a Super 58 Buff?

    Bean me up, Scotty!

    I should stop. It's time for my Shrink appointment.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You think if I asked PCGS to downgrade 62's or 63's to AU58 they would? lol
    I've got many AU55's but only a few might upgrade to AU58 and not worth the expense, it would be nice if PCGS would offer a discounted upgrade fee and if they would not upgrade leave in AU55 holder. Or do they already? I would do that with several of my 55's. Thanks for your replies.
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

    where?

    In MS-62 & 63 slabs

    Frank

    BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file