Home Precious Metals
Options

Solid gold bottle of vodka stolen

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copenhagen, Denmark (AP) -- Copenhagen police are investigating the theft of a bottle of vodka that is claimed to be the world's most expensive at $1.3 million.

Denmark's TV2 says the bottle of Russo-Baltique is made of 3 kilograms (6.6. pounds) of gold and the equivalent amount of silver with a diamond-encrusted cap.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-03/-world-s-most-expensive-vodka-bottle-stolen-from-danish-bar

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The vodka comes in a flask which is a replica of the radiator guard used for the Russo-Baltique cars, made from gold coins minted between 1908 and 1912. This is the period when the company manufactured its first car. The flask cap is made from white and yellow gold and contains a diamond-encrusted replica of the Russian Imperial Eagle. The bottle itself is made of bulletproof glass and is 30 cms thick..."

I'm assuming this article is correct, and that the bottle is naturally made from melted Russian coins of the era. Those would be 90% (see #y62, #y64, etc.) If they don't refine the gold any further than that 90%, the bottle contains 106.1 troy ounces of 90% gold, or approximately 95.5 troy ounces of pure gold. If we can assume 90% silver is also used, and the article is correct, the bottle contains the equivalent in silver (95.5 troy ounces).

So the metal value as of 4:00 central today is about $125,391.50 in gold, $1,638.78 in silver = $127,030.28

Of course they'd argue the diamonds are worth a fortune (hint: they're not), and that the bottle is a work of art worthy of a high value, too (I'd argue craftsmanship does not equal artistry).

So if the bottle is "worth" about $125,000 and the vodka sells for $1,300,000, they are implying the vodka contained within the bottle is "worth" well over a million dollars. :)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do I suspect an insurance scam?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    "The vodka comes in a flask which is a replica of the radiator guard used for the Russo-Baltique cars, made from gold coins minted between 1908 and 1912. This is the period when the company manufactured its first car. The flask cap is made from white and yellow gold and contains a diamond-encrusted replica of the Russian Imperial Eagle. The bottle itself is made of bulletproof glass and is 30 cms thick..."

I'm assuming this article is correct, and that the bottle is naturally made from melted Russian coins of the era. Those would be 90% (see #y62, #y64, etc.) If they don't refine the gold any further than that 90%, the bottle contains 106.1 troy ounces of 90% gold, or approximately 95.5 troy ounces of pure gold. If we can assume 90% silver is also used, and the article is correct, the bottle contains the equivalent in silver (95.5 troy ounces).

So the metal value as of 4:00 central today is about $125,391.50 in gold, $1,638.78 in silver = $127,030.28

Wow, your Sigma PMV told you all of that?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! ;)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate vodka

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I hate vodka

m

You need to add enough really good orange juice to kill the lack of taste!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had to be a thirsty coin dealer !

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss ... Great analytical breakdown....and there is not a shot of vodka anywhere worth over 50 cents....It is an attractive bottle... but the price makes it ugly. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ranger1202ranger1202 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Weiss ... Great analytical breakdown....and there is not a shot of vodka anywhere worth over 50 cents....It is an attractive bottle... but the price makes it ugly. Cheers, RickO

I've always heard ultra premium vodka is a waste of money because unlike bourbon or scotch it doesn't need to be stored and aged "justifying" the cost and that it all pretty much tastes the same. Anything more than Ketel one or Chopin is a waste IMO.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

in that case im glad i dont drink

• Options
    ranger1202ranger1202 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

"not insured and loaned from Russian businessman". I'd hate to know what happened to the poor guy who stole it.

• Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

The high premium vodka bottle was found intact and undamaged at a construction site, empty. Evidently the thief only wanted to get smashed on the contents, while assuming the flashy bottle was worthless.