Thanks all for the comments. Clearly some vote safe deposit box and some vote at-home safe, both with good reasoning. I agree that Hugh Wood insurance is important either way.
@ms70 said:
If you go with a safe, make sure it is bolted through the floor or to the wall studs. Some people throw a few bags of lead buckshot in the bottom.
If you have 1000 pound safe or a 200 pound safe bolted to the floor with a monitored security system, it would take a professional safe cracker to get at it.
Nothing could be further from the truth.....I wouldn't trust my grandfathers pocket watch in a gun safe, regardless of what it weighed. The fact is, you need a TL30 rating, or better......
@ms70 said:
If you go with a safe, make sure it is bolted through the floor or to the wall studs. Some people throw a few bags of lead buckshot in the bottom.
If you have 1000 pound safe or a 200 pound safe bolted to the floor with a monitored security system, it would take a professional safe cracker to get at it.
Nothing could be further from the truth.....I wouldn't trust my grandfathers pocket watch in a gun safe, regardless of what it weighed. The fact is, you need a TL30 rating, or better......
There is a photo of one earlier in the thread. A 200 pound safe will fit the same category. No safe weighing 200 pounds is 'safe', whether it's bolted down or not.
We all have our own forms of security Jim. Whatever you are comfortable with is OK for you.
I live in a neighborhood full of nosy geezers, zero lot lines. Central alarm, big safe, insurance, low profile. A lot has to do with where one lives and how conspicuous a target one is. Main concern is family safety, which has very little to do with where I keep my coins.
I'm curious, do most of you use a Post Office Box instead of your home address when you sell coins either on ebay or BST? I'm looking to sell most of my raw duplicates and have mixed feelings about using my home address. My wife is totally against using our home address. Keep in mind that I'm and amateur collector with mostly low to mid value coins.
Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc
If one has a POB, it should also be the preferred address for numismatic publications and correspondence - or the like. Had one for many years when I was more active.
Comments
Thanks all for the comments. Clearly some vote safe deposit box and some vote at-home safe, both with good reasoning. I agree that Hugh Wood insurance is important either way.
LIBERTY SEATED DIMES WITH MAJOR VARIETIES CIRCULATION STRIKES (1837-1891) digital album
Nothing could be further from the truth.....I wouldn't trust my grandfathers pocket watch in a gun safe, regardless of what it weighed. The fact is, you need a TL30 rating, or better......
https://youtube.com/watch?v=B8ViUdd-2LM
There is a photo of one earlier in the thread. A 200 pound safe will fit the same category. No safe weighing 200 pounds is 'safe', whether it's bolted down or not.
We all have our own forms of security Jim. Whatever you are comfortable with is OK for you.
I live in a neighborhood full of nosy geezers, zero lot lines. Central alarm, big safe, insurance, low profile. A lot has to do with where one lives and how conspicuous a target one is. Main concern is family safety, which has very little to do with where I keep my coins.
I'm curious, do most of you use a Post Office Box instead of your home address when you sell coins either on ebay or BST? I'm looking to sell most of my raw duplicates and have mixed feelings about using my home address. My wife is totally against using our home address. Keep in mind that I'm and amateur collector with mostly low to mid value coins.
Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc
Your wife is smart !
I've had a po box for forty years.......
If one has a POB, it should also be the preferred address for numismatic publications and correspondence - or the like. Had one for many years when I was more active.