Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC Old Fatty Questions

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spent some time looking through my collection this afternoon and realized I have lots of old NGC holders. Lots of the coins look very nice and perhaps undergraded by today's standards. While I have no plans on selling anytime soon, it did get me thinking if I should send them in for regrading or to CAC for evaluation. Perhaps Ill just keep them in the safe for now. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some Fatty's are really nice, some are dogs. The DPL Fatty's are usually wrong.

What type of coins and grades are we talking here?

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I face the same dilemma, but have kept the coins in original holders. To me, the old holder shows the coin has not been recently messed with and is stable.

As I plan to sell a number of pieces this year, a trip to CAC is likely in order.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a grade bump is more important to you than the old holder you might use PCGS's reconsideration service.

If you're enamored by old fatties then use CAC.
    Lance.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    If a grade bump is more important to you than the old holder you might use PCGS's reconsideration service.

Lance.

Does PCGS offer the reconsideration service for NGC slabbed coins? I would think not, but who knows?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding the original question, I typically take the least invasive route for most numismatic paths and in this case it would be a trip to CAC when and if it is needed.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 4:54PM

Tom,
    If they are Roosies send them to me. I’ll give you a free opinion and promptly return the ones I don’t like. Happy New Year.
    Bill
    ;)

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd keep them in the original holder, if anything, maybe send in a few nicer ones to CAC !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the series, look, grade and spread between grades.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 6:57PM

@barberkeys Recently proved that philosophy totally wrong! :#

@TomB said:
    Regarding the original question, I typically take the least invasive route for most numismatic paths and in this case it would be a trip to CAC when and if it is needed.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are such a classic holders and I agreed with you most are under graded. Their asking price reflects these factor as well.
    CAC and don't loose the holder unless a couple points improvement on the grade.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 8:06PM

IMHO most fattys have great personalities. I have a few in my collection but I don’t advertise that to my friends. The percentage that receive CAC is greatly underestimated

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins in question are both Peace and Morgan Dollars. They all grade MS64, so there is a jump up to MS65 in terms of pricing.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not send to CAC if for nothing more than giggles. Plus, if you're a collector member, you only pay for ones that sticker

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

@lkeigwin said:

Lance.

Does PCGS offer the reconsideration service for NGC slabbed coins? I would think not, but who knows?

What was I thinking? Maybe celebrating New Years a little early. Thanks, Tom.

I like the NGC old fatties. Toning from the cert can benefit. At some point it's done and time to move on.

Cross, sticker, or leave alone. Don't crack.
    Lance.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless there is significant potential in grade/price increase, the value of the old slab will likely sell the coin faster than a reholder.... JMO.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    The coins in question are both Peace and Morgan Dollars. They all grade MS64, so there is a jump up to MS65 in terms of pricing.

If they are common dates then the jump to 65 from 64 usually does not even warrant the regrade fee. I would go for CAC and see if one lands you a Gold. Not easy to do with Morgan or Peace dollars in 64, but still possible.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the old fat holders. I would send them for stickers. :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:

@erwindoc said:

If they are common dates then the jump to 65 from 64 usually does not even warrant the regrade fee. I would go for CAC and see if one lands you a Gold. Not easy to do with Morgan or Peace dollars in 64, but still possible.

That is SWEET!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file