Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will there be any "Instant Sellouts" from the mint this year?

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy New Year 2018 !!!!! Any US Mint sellout predictions for this year? How many do you think there will be? Which ones are more painful, the "Instant Sold-out" or the long drawn out "available/not available/available/sold-out"? It'll bet fun to look back on this string a year from now and see who has the closest predictions! There have to be a couple SOLD OUT in less than half an hour. It really depends on how the mint restricts limits and mintage #'s and of course pricing.

I think there will be 3 sellouts. Palladium will be an instant sellout. The reverse proof set will be another instant sellout. The 1 oz gold Eagle will be a slow sellout. The 1 oz gold Buffalo may be a close sellout.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 9:35AM

They'll come up with something for sure...LOL. I'm in - then out quickly $$$$. :)

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't say unless we know the mintage/product limit of each product.

The Palladium may sell out if they keep the mintage at less than say, 20K, but ultimately I see the Palladium proof do as well as the Platinum proof, especially at today's price point.

If the product limit of the silver RP set is say, oh, I don't know, 225K, it may sell out, but it won't be quick.

If there's a low mintage for the S-Mint ASE (which I doubt), it'll probably do well. But I think there'll be a bazillion of 'em made.

Otherwise, I don't see anything really exciting (and that's a relative word) on the product schedule.

Perhaps your question is wrong. Perhaps it should be, how long will the Mint products take to sell out?

For instance, the rose gold breastie commem might do well, but I suspect both the commems coming off sale (not sold out) on Dec 28 of next year. (The medals may be the initial driving force for the sale of the WWI commem, but there's no way they're selling 350K. The 50K/400K/750K mintage for the breastie commem is also highly optimistic.)

• Options

The rose gold breastie is our first Pink Gold coin. That is made from a blend of gold and copper...I don't know if that will help it sell or not, pink gold is kind of a pretty color. I don't know the percentage of gold to copper just as long as it's not called golden copper!!!!!

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 6:39PM

The graphic a little larger for easier viewing and some more info

The most common metals alloyed with gold are silver, copper, and zinc to strengthen the gold. Copper turns the alloy pink and creates rose gold. Silver or palladium added to gold creates white gold. The percent of gold used in the alloy determines the karat value.

18K Red gold: 75% gold, 25% copper
    18K Rose gold: 75% gold, 22.25% copper, 2.75% silver
    18K Pink gold: 75% gold, 20% copper, 5% silver
    12K Red gold: 50% gold and 50% copper.

• Options

Ahha, they'll probably add a tiny bit of silver! A sliver of silver.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

My only question .... to my self.

Will there be anything at all you will buy this year?

Answer : Depends on your self control , you US Mint Buying Junkie.

Got the Buying Monkey on your back.... good luck.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FullStrike said:
    Answer : Depends on your self control , you US Mint Buying Junkie.

Hey, you talkin' to me? ;)

But since you ask, I am still downsizing, so I'm not going to be chasing a $500 medal set or a $200 1/10 ozt gold coin I didn't even buy the silver version of. :smiley:

The only thing I'm looking at this year (if nothing is added to the schedule), is the S-Mint ASE and the silver RP set. (Plus my annual purchases like the pucks, Proof/Uncirc W-Mint ASE, and the annual coin sets, including a roll set of Kennedy's. That's still a lot, but it's adding onto an existing collection, rather than something new.)

@Kudbegud said:
    18K Rose gold: 75% gold, 22.25% copper, 2.75% silver
    18K Pink gold: 75% gold, 20% copper, 5% silver

I thought I've seen it described as "rose", but the law does say "pink".

(1) $5 GOLD COINS
    .—Not more than 50,000 $5 gold coins, which shall—
    (A) have a diameter of 0.850 inches; and
    (B) be made of ‘‘pink gold’’ which contains not less than 75 percent gold.

Noticeably absent is the weight, which is usually specified. At 75% gold, the coin should be quite a bit thicker than a normal half-eagle, or they're going to reduce the amount of gold in the coin. The Mint hasn't released the final specs of the coin yet, and we probably won't know for a couple of months. I can't see the Mint reducing the amount of gold in a $5 gold piece, but hey, it's the government...

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they do have a sellout, I won't be any part of the cause.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

there will be NONE "sold out" on the first day. Why? Because they generally don't ever do that. They go "unavailable" until the process cancellations, payment rejections, etc.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not heard of growing excitement/anticipation over any of the projected issues....Usually there is some indication of interest before a hot coin is put on the market - i.e. the gold Kennedy... Maybe that will develop later... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

No instant sellouts.
    People only become interested when the product is pulled for lack of interest. >:)o:)

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put me in the "so what" camp.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2018 11:40AM

Well if they do a congrats set with a s mint eagle for 2018 and limit the mintage to 25,000 I think that would sell out...

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Breast Cancer Stamp and coin set, if the the coin is a different finish or mint mark than the rest made and they limit the mintage...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file