Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS guide to eye appeal

gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

just looking around and saw their guide on toning and eye appeal.
https://pcgs.com/eyeappeal

Comments

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's interesting, Thanks for the link.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

For @Insider2 's benefit ! :#

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, just goes to show you.....
    3 of the commems pictured as possessing Negative eye appeal, are examples of toning that I absolutely love.
    I appreciate them as randomly original toned, unmessed with and interesting.

Don't grade on these merits, PCGS.
    Eye appeal is really in the eye of the beholder. Just leave it to us to decide.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dogwood said: "Wow, just goes to show you.....Eye appeal is really in the eye of the beholder. Just leave it to us to decide."

AMEN. However, there are certain things that are considered a plus by the vast majority of knowledgeable, experienced, trend-setters, market-makers, and TPGS. While these things do change, it is best if your "tastes" are
    close to the status quo. Blazing, off the wall, rainbow. ARTIFICAL TONING can be very BEAUTIFUL yet...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading, being a very subjective process at best, it is made even more subjective by including such a nebulous criteria as 'eye appeal'.... This is no more applicable to coins than it is to cars, art or the opposite sex. Some like it, some don't.... therefore it has no business as part of a grade. Rant over....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins shown under "amazing" and "positive" don't do it for me.
    I'll keep collecting "above average" eye appeal and be perfectly happy.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

No mention of error coins and eye appeal which is the one of the most important aspects of error coin collecting.

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good info. Had been wondering about proof grading. Thanks for sharing.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file