Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

~ Copper 4 The Weekend™ ~

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2017 6:22PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Santa brought me some Red Copper...

Cup is pretty cool as it keeps coffee warm for 6 hours left in the car when it's 10 degrees out.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you let a cup of coffee sit around for 6 hrs., you didn't need it anyway. :#

• Options

Nice Lincoln!

• Options

Is the little neckid dude working on the fountain or is he going to whack the bear in the head?

Looks like most of the folks I work with.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he is defending his soda from this creature! What an awesome design.
    It was their company logo and is on many tokens and medals from the business. Love pictorials like these

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 2:40AM

@DCW said:

I'm assuming this one commemorates John Matthews, Jr.

Yes it's the son who Muller depicted with peach fuzz instead of the comb over his Dad had. These memorial medals had also been issued in silvered copper. Although I've never seen one either way that didn't have a minor issue as I've never seen one accompanied with a box. If you do a grave search you can see the elaborate monument Karl Muller was paid $30,000.00 to design & erect in Brooklyn NY.

Here’s an example of the 1882 John Matthews memorial medal 46mm diameter by 6mm thick designed by Karl Muller.

Matthews was the inventor of the soda fountain and the reverse features his company logo...

A cherub in such a hurry to beat the bear off the soda fountain with a monkey wrench that he loses his diaper.

1876 John Matthews, Soda Water Apparatus, New York, 28mm Diameter, Rulau NY-190 / Miller NY-525 / Wright 674, R-4, Ex: Steve Tanenbaum Collection.

A tough to find store card in high grade which was hard to resist as there's something very appealing about a woman with a dolphin in her face. This obverse design was used on a more common 1863 CWT with a 7 line script reverse... However finding the 1876 trade token which also features the wild reverse design of a cherub in such a hurry to beat the bear off the soda fountain with a monkey wrench that it looses his diaper has been challenging as all most are seen heavily circulated with signs of abuse. Matthews was the inventor of the soda fountain and the reverse features his company logo designed by Karl Muller

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brass, but very cool to me... :#
    Medallic Art Co.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@ECHOES said:
    Brass, but very cool to me... :#
    Medallic Art Co.

Lincoln in a box, very nice medal!

Best, SH

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck... I have never seen that brand of thermo cup......
    @coinsarefun...I have been looking for a Chubbuck token... I was a Radioman in the Navy, back in the old days when they used Morse Code (still fluent in code, can hear it and 'read' it anywhere)....Got to get back to my search for that one. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    I have posted this one several times here but still enjoy and appreciate the detail on the halfpenny token

Hey, I don't remember if I told this story before, cause I am old! The iron mill shown on coinsarefun's token is called a Hammer Mill. You can see the hammer in the photo on the left. I was actually on a building crew that built one of these. It was a fairly authentic timberframe reproduction that was used for demonstrations and I even ran it sometimes after completion. The hammer (300 lbs.?) and the huge bellows to stoke the fires were run by a waterwheel. Even though the hammer dropped only about 3 feet it shook the ground every time it struck the anvil. (500 lbs.? set in a huge concrete footing.) Dangerous work, amazing we had all our fingers after working in there.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Icollecteverything said:
    >

Hey, I don't remember if I told this story before, cause I am old! The iron mill shown on coinsarefun's token is called a Hammer Mill. You can see the hammer in the photo on the left. I was actually on a building crew that built one of these. It was a fairly authentic timberframe reproduction that was used for demonstrations and I even ran it sometimes after completion. The hammer (300 lbs.?) and the huge bellows to stoke the fires were run by a waterwheel. Even though the hammer dropped only about 3 feet it shook the ground every time it struck the anvil. (500 lbs.? set in a huge concrete footing.) Dangerous work, amazing we had all our fingers after working in there.

.This is the very coolest things to hear. I have no clue why it took 2 years to see this!!
    Thanks for posting that.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2020 9:14PM

1958-D Lincoln Cent - "Open Book" Lamination Error

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2020 2:43PM

Notice the mint state look? NGC graded this as UNC details, due to the fact that there are no fleur de lis on the Minerva’s shield protecting the infant. All of these had 3 fleur de lis on the shield, but on this one those were polished away. I figure this one must have been owned by a loyal Brit who liked the medal but hated to see France getting the credit! (This is the second specimen I’ve seen with the shield polished down, so I expect this was intentional.)

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you need to find a specimen with polished-out fangs and claws, looking a bit long in the tooth!

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file