Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Are the Mexican 8 R. a popular collecting series today?

What is the best reference on them?

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Resplandores is one and the other one is Hookneck. I think that covers the 8 reales series very much.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

And yes, I think is very popular... And nearly impossible.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reference books were shown on another thread recently.

The 8 Reales are popular, but the pieces are so fully priced nowadays that most people should simply aim for a type set. If doing Caps and Rays, maybe aim for a mintmark set.

Resplandores:

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you "really" get into collecting them I suggest "Counterfeit Portrait Eight-Reales, The Un-real Reales" by Robert Gurney. A companion book to the Cap & Ray coins is in the works. You'll learn more than most dealers about the genuine coins after you finish it. It is not a book for children but it is easy to understand if you are a numismatist.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 6:13PM

Are you talking specifically about Mexican Republic 8 Reales? If so - Resplandores and Hookneck are the two books you want. There are lots of other 8 Reales series - this denomination has been around since the late 15th Century.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just find them to be an interesting series and want to know more about them. These days what I collect is knowledge,

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love them.
    I have a few nice ones myself.
    As for valuations, compared to US coins they are not expensive.
    Of course, they have fewer collectors.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy looking for the Cap and Rays and buying them when it makes sense. This is a series like no other.. That is for crown size coins. I have reasonable expectations. The closest I will come to completing any type of set would be a type from each mint. I doubt that I will complete of a date run from one of the mints even though it might be possible excluding varieties.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @BillDugan1959 says, I would (and am) work on a mint mark set. The coins from each mint with the exception of Estado de Mexico, Guadalupe de Calvo and Real de Catorce are available up into MS64 and become genuinely scarce in gem.

Given that most collectors are type collectors I would focus on coins regardless of grade which have outstanding eye appeal regardless of the targeted grade for your set.

Good luck!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins and the outstanding eye appeal concept for collecting is spot on

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.