Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What are your 2018 hobby resolutions?

Mine is to open more wax packs (starting with a 1981 Topps Box on Monday)!

Go Dodgers!

Comments

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 1:39PM

To actually start staying focused on completing sets, as opposed to just starting new ones when my current projects “slow down”. I could be further along in my projects by buying unopened and actively submitting, but usually I’ll just start something new when cards I need don’t pop up on eBay. Not this year!

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@MarsAttacks said:

Crazy, I just pulled an '81 box out from storage and was going to rip in the next few days.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

@Sdub said:

@MarsAttacks said:

Crazy, I just pulled an '81 box out from storage and was going to rip in the next few days.

Sounds good...think Ill do the same...Come on Fernando!!!

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options

I will not over pay for some item I want and need to add to my collection.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Sell more items that are not important

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hardly know anything about pack sequencing, but one thing I know
    about 1981 baseball, if you get a George Brett, then Eddie Murray
    should be following within the next two cards.
    All my years of opening packs and that's the only thing I've learned.LOL.

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Sell Mortimer, Sell!

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

My collecting focus has stayed consistent for the past 10 years. My only resolution is
    to stay on that path, and not get into new adventures.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

mine is to finish up a bunch of sets. I've got 15 sets I need 3 cards or less on, and need to wrap them up before starting something else.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

@Sdub said:

@MarsAttacks said:

@seebelow said:

@Sdub said:

@MarsAttacks said:

Sounds good...think Ill do the same...Come on Fernando!!!

Awesome - Looks like 3 1981 Topps breaks are on the horizon!

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine would be to cross off as many cards as possible on my Michael Jordan want list this year.

• Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

wanna build a 1964 Topps baseball set around EX to EXMT ..........thats one of the first sets i started 20 years ago in PSA grade but sold it. Now just wanna build a decent raw set to enjoy

1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

To save as much unopened baseball as possible. Oh wait, that is ALWAYS my New Year’s Resolution.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Break the 1k mark on my Greg Maddux Master Set, 66 needed to meet that goal.

Add at least 4 more Hank Aaron signed cards to my Topps run quest. Crossover my blue flip autos to red flip and have the cards graded for my current red flip autos.

Anybody looking to help on my quests let me know!

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

My goals are to hit .300, score 100 runs, and stay injury-prone.

Oh wait, that's not me, that's Mickey Rivers.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

To have as much(or more) fun collecting in 2018 as I did in 2017.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy, buy, buy. Within reason for my specific sets..

• Options

Try to re-balance my collection by selling off odd and ends and focusing on core items. And of course, a legit Jordan game used jersey would be nice.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

to have more discipline and not on impulse... that's should be my tough new year resolution

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Seek out nice old GAI graded cello packs
    Reduce my eBay watch list
    Reduce my want list
    Sell some stuff

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Great thread...agreed, need to tighten the focus and cut the excess that's been accumulating. Happy new year.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

Mine is to get one new card every single day during the year, to celebrate my 30th year in the hobby.
    Not a goal, but something I'd like to do, is hit 200 posts for the year on Cardboard History. I hit 189 in 2017, my best year yet. But I'm not going to churn out bad posts just to increase my numbers.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a set in first place on the PSA Registry. However, since I may hit that in two weeks, I'll say that I'd like to add a nice Babe Ruth card from his playing days to my collection of Yankee greats.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Find out the list of cards on the 'buyers group' for this year.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

Mine would be to get one new (to me) HOF'er -- t206 or t205, in low but lovely grade; and keep working on 51 Bowman, 53 Topps. Plus any vintage type I don't have.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    Break the 1k mark on my Greg Maddux Master Set, 66 needed to meet that goal.

Add at least 4 more Hank Aaron signed cards to my Topps run quest. Crossover my blue flip autos to red flip and have the cards graded for my current red flip autos.

Anybody looking to help on my quests let me know!

Time to look back on the resolutions all! I will hit the 1000 mark for cards in my Greg Maddux master set as soon as the group sub pops(currently sitting at 988 which equates to 54 added over the year). I have added two Hank Aaron autos through signings and purchased 3 others if memory serves me right. The two from the signing and one from a purchase that is a crossover will be off to PSA before the year is up. I consider this a successful year in my eyes!

• Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Acquire less and put more effort into finishing sets and organizing. Too many things I've bought this year that need catalogued. Buying is more fun than organizing. Cull the herd a bit and stay focused.

• Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

To buy as high grade 52T Mantle as I can afford.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Have a set in first place on the PSA Registry. However, since I may hit that in two weeks, I'll say that I'd like to add a nice Babe Ruth card from his playing days to my collection of Yankee greats.

I have not found the right Ruth card but I landed a heckuva Joe D. So I’m calling that a resolution kept:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Get into the top 10 in my Walter Payton Basic PSA Set. Currently at 21. (Which that 76 PSA 9 will help quite a bit)

Happy New Years!

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Mine was to get rid of my bulk low value cards and downgrade from graded to ungraded 70s and 80s HOF and Detroit rookies. And no more pack ripping. Check, check and check (minus 4 retail boxes. Close enough)

I now do not own a single card I don’t want minus what’s in the donate box.