Home U.S. Coin Forum

CIA Challenge coin

rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was given this challenge coin by a friend. While looking at ebay I noticed it with a BIN of $649.00. I am not selling it, but I thought that was surprising, and my S/N is much lower than the one offered. Cheers, RickO

Comments

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 1:19PM

#1. The first rule of CIA Club is that you don't talk about CIA Club.

#2. Afghanistan map (outline), yes, but the whole schomo may just be a fantasy.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Interesting I like the reaper part! Scarry

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are available in the agency gift shop along with tongue-in-cheek christmas ornaments, and ricin detection strips for your morning coffee, etc.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB ....Are they also numbered? Trying to figure out why it has such a high price on ebay..... does not make sense. Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't take BIN (Buy It Now) prices too seriously. It may just be a seller trying for a big score.

All glory is fleeting.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 3:37PM

Interesting piece.....thanks for sharing.

No way that I see it being worth anywhere near $650.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of "sucker" BIN pricing on eBay.

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year, I went to a reunion, where the honoree jointed the Army as a Private, retired after 30 as a general, and then put in 20 with "those people'. Wounded 3x in Vietnam and 1x in Kabul.

There were station chiefs, field agents, etc. everywhere at this reunion. Also lots of large men with no necks and mirrored glasses. There were a LOT of high value targets in the room, including many from the Bin Laden take down team.

My wife did not know me during that time of my life. The only things she knew was when we were first married, I had just come back from a job interview at Langley, and she asked about it. Although my wife is very intelligent, she is a true blond. She though the job sounded interesting, but did not know what part of the government was the Central Intelligence Agency. When I changed it to CIA, the looked absolutely horrified, and said absolutely not, NO NO. The other thing she knew was at this reunion was people I had never mentioned greeted me by name. She asked, "Do you know everyone in this room?" and I told her, no, but I know enough people that would know everyone in this room.

I guarantee none of them had that challenge coin.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 5:11PM

@ricko said:
    @RogerB ....Are they also numbered? Trying to figure out why it has such a high price on ebay..... does not make sense. Cheers, RickO

There are several designs and some have places for numeral punches or other symbols. To the best of my understanding the pictured item is not a CIA memento.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Don't take BIN (Buy It Now) prices too seriously. It may just be a seller trying for a big score.

Thank you! I had no idea what BIN stood for until now, that makes sense.

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have all sorts of challenge coins in the Agency gift shop. No idea y the absurd bin.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Do a web search on that "CIA" Challenge Coin and you can find them typically in the 6.95 - 12.95 range. I would think anyone actually in the CIA wouldn't dream of owning anything like it.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally agree @Raufus, @FullStrike..... just surprised at the BIN and the engraved number.....Cheers, RickO

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

My son in law is an officer in the USAF currently deployed in Afghanistan and received this from VP Pence two weeks ago. No S/N. He has a lot of challenge coins and I haven't notice any S/N 's on any of them. The CIA challenge coin must be a special coin. Thanks for sharing this , I'm interested in challenge coins.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some searching on the WWW leads me to agree that it isn't a CIA specific challenge coin. Follow this link, and you'll see the same logo and sayings, (Reaper, and Timetus Mortem), on a Airforce patch for the 62d Aircraft Maintenance Unit, (AMU....or EAMU?)

http://usmilitarypatches.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=7967

The CIA may have worked WITH them....but they aren't CIA themselves.

BTW: I know there is a variant of the drone shown on the coin known as a "Reaper"....so there is that connection too.

Easily distracted Type Collector

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file