"Jim Harbaugh named as Ravens QB coach by brother John."

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 1:03PM

Patriots win yet another Super Bowl. Brady MVP. Same as it ever was. Yawn

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

Miggy joins the 500 HR Club!

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Final four relocated to Leavenworth gymnasium to accommodate Arizona coaching staff.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NFL's ratings continue to decline over the National Anthem debacle, which the UBER overpaid Commissioner failed to contain early on. His abuse of his authority over Brady (with no prima facie evidence) and lack of common sense use of his authority over the ongoing insulting of our National Anthem will continue to hurt the bottom line. No, I will not renew my currently free NFL ticket, of which I've only watched snippets of Patriot's games.

The football Bowl Commission comes to their senses and gets the Bowl thing under control...not likely I'm afraid.

Brady and the Pats make the Superbowl and a victory.

The Red Sox perform a miracle and make the playoffs in October. This, despite the ongoing inept play of overpaid and underperforming boat anchors entrenched in contracts to the team. Please trade Ramirez and Price!

The Yankees have a mediocre year with Mr. (I have no managerial experience) Boone at the helm. He can only be one of two things, very good, or very bad. One continues to wonder how Joe G got ousted in favor of Boone instead of a more season manager.

The Astros will continue to thrive.

With North Korea a mere afternoon drive away, the winter Olympics in South Korea could be more interesting than normal...hopefully I am way off base here.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Browns make the playoffs.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Browns make the playoffs.

Fake News Headline

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dateline Cooperstown, 2018: Having officially discarded being good at baseball as a requirement for induction last year, Dave Adlesh has been voted in to the HOF. The old-timers committee, when presented with the case that Adlesh's card was the first one ever owned by dallasactuary and DA thought it would be cool if Adlesh was in the HOF, had to concede that Adlesh's qualifications were stronger than those of Jack Morris and quickly made Adlesh the newest member in Cooperstown. Asked for comment, Adlesh's widow said that while she hadn't been aware that her late husband had ever been a baseball player, she was grateful to have something to do this weekend since the bridge game was at that bitch Millie's house this month.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

HOF Committee votes in known steroid user(s)

It’s 1961 all over again on the NYY

David Price turns in a HOF-worthy season (ie better than Jack Morris)

• Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

Patriots cheat..... Again

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Romo agrees to return to the Cowboys for one final season.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Michigan beats south Carolina as the BIG TEN makes history by going 8-0 in the bowl games.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

That would be impressive. The BIG however many is much better top to bottom than they were given credit for. Impressive win by Wisconsin going on the road and taking care of business.

Ralph

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Falcons win the super bowl, UGA national champs.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2017 12:31PM

@Brick said:
    That would be impressive. The BIG however many is much better top to bottom than they were given credit for. Impressive win by Wisconsin going on the road and taking care of business.

Indeed. It kind of dispells the myth we have been fed that that Big Ten is at a complete disadvantage in Bowl games. They were favored in 6 of the 7 so far and came through with flying colors. The better teams tend to win no matter where they play

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Brick said:

Indeed. It kind of dispells the myth we have been fed that that Big Ten is at a complete disadvantage in Bowl games. They were favored in 6 of the 7 so far and came through with flying colors. The better teams tend to win no matter where they play

mark

what are the odds of these games with the locations?
    Iowa vs Boston College at Yankee Stadium, NY
    Purdue vs Arizona at Santa Clara, CA
    MSU vs Washington St at San Diego, CA
    NU vs Kentucky at Nashville, TN
    OSU vs USC at Arlington, TX
    PSU vs Washington at Glendale, AZ
    Wisconsin vs Miami at Miami, FL

My GPS skills may be a little off but it seems to me that each location favored the Big 10 opponents?????????

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minnesota Vikings win their first Super Bowl.

• Options

Big ten is a feel good story and I give my thanks to Purdue for taking out Arizona.

All will be forgotten though when the final four hit the gridiron.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kyrie Irving's Celtics knock Lebron's Cavs out of the playoffs.

Earlier I thought about adding the Buffalo Bills finally make the playoffs for the first time since 1999 and they just made them. Congrats to any Bills fans here.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2017 6:42PM

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Brick said:

mark

My GPS skills may be a little off but it seems to me that each location favored the Big 10 opponents?????????

One game. The rest both teams travel. 6 of the 7 games the Big Ten was favored. They did what they were supposed to. That's a good thing.

For sure Columbus is closer to Arlington then Los Angeles is. For sure Evanston is closer to Nashville then Lexington is to Nashville. Santa Clara is nowhere close to Tucson. Washington State is a two day drive to San Diego or Arizona and so on an so one. Boston to NY is a five hour bus ride as opposed to a 3 hour flight from Iowa to NY.....

m

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 6:26PM

Tom Brady faces Jimmy Garropolo in the Super Bowl

• Options
    edited December 31, 2017 9:08PM

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Brick said:

mark

One game. The rest both teams travel. 6 of the 7 games the Big Ten was favored. They did what they were supposed to. That's a good thing.

For sure Columbus is closer to Arlington then Los Angeles is. For sure Evanston is closer to Nashville then Lexington is to Nashville. Santa Clara is nowhere close to Tucson. Washington State is a two day drive to San Diego or Arizona and so on an so one. Boston to NY is a five hour bus ride as opposed to a 3 hour flight from Iowa to NY.....

m

Makes no difference who is favored. Vegas is wrong all the time. Last year both OSU and Michigan were favored in the bowl games.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Brick said:

mark

m

Makes no difference who is favored. Vegas is wrong all the time. Last year both OSU and Michigan were favored in the bowl games.

Sure didn't help them in a 3-7 campaign last year that's for sure

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Brick said:

mark

m

m

No doubt. Your boy Peppers sitting out didn't help any.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dodgers comes back

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dodgers comes back...

To Brooklyn?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2018 9:42AM

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Brick said:

mark

m

m

He was the smart one just like Ward for OSU did this year. Why get hurt in an exhibition game with so much on the line personally? Jake Butt played tore his ACL in fhe first half of the Orange Bowl last year and cost himself millions. The non playoff blown games are fun but now are nothing more then a side show because of the system. I'd rather go back to no playoff and no BCS and let the Bowls stand on their own merit

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Brick said:

mark

m

m

He was the smart one just like Ward for OSU did this year. Why get hurt in an exhibition game with so much on the line personally? Jake Butt played tore his ACL in fhe first half of the Orange Bowl last year and cost himself millions.

mark

Why play? Because it's called being loyal to your team. I guess you never played on a sports team before.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2018 11:42AM

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Brick said:

mark

m

m

He was the smart one just like Ward for OSU did this year. Why get hurt in an exhibition game with so much on the line personally? Jake Butt played tore his ACL in fhe first half of the Orange Bowl last year and cost himself millions.

mark

Why play? Because it's called being loyal to your team. I guess you never played on a sports team before.

Indeed I have. But, I have to admit that I never had to make the desicion where it was going to be my career and million dollars were on the line. It's easy preaching loyality when you are in your basement lying on the sofa with a pair of fuzzy slippers on.

College Football is indeed a business. The innocence is gone.

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Brick said:

mark

m

m

mark

Indeed I have. But, I have to admit that I never had to make the desicion where it was going to be my career and million dollars were on the line. It's easy preaching loyality when you are in your basement lying on the sofa with a pair of fuzzy slippers on.

mark

I didn't see too many star players sit out this year. I guess they all know the smart thing to do is go out and play.

• Options

Team loyalty is a fine thing but you must have common sense. You are in a position to sign for millions, you shouldn't jeopardize that. I know young people don't have the life experience that their parents and grandparents do. I wish I hadn't been young and dumb (nothing to do with athletics). These guys are in a position to set themselves up for life. They are in a position to give their future children the best education, life in a safe secure neighborhood. I would like to see the NCAA have some type of insurance for players going pro after the bowl game to prevent them from needing to sit it out.

Ralph

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Brick said:

mark

m

m

mark

mark

I didn't see too many star players sit out this year. I guess they all know the smart thing to do is go out and play.

I haven't seen any games up until today. I know Rosen of UCLA and Dixon Ward OSU both top 15 picks sat out.

m

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

keets beat me to it but I'll second it: Vikings win first Super Bowl!!

Daniel
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Minnesota Vikings win their first Super Bowl.

this

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Golden Knights end storybook inaugural season with win in Stanley Cup finals and Disney makes a movie about them... starting with the horrific shooting a couple weeks before the season started, the amazing opening night, etc.... Pretty amazing story for an expansion team.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the following players

Spieth
    McIlroy
    Mickelson

will join the following players

Nicklaus
    Hogan
    Sarazen
    Player
    Woods

in rarefied air.

hny to my sports talk brethren

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2018 7:37AM

You forget the man who started it all, who "stormed the impregnable quadrilateral of golf"? For shame.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    You forget the man who started it all, who "stormed the impregnable quadrilateral of golf"? For shame.

i love me some BJ -- and that '30 season was one for the ages -- but imo if a green jacket isn't donned, then any other grand slam can be confused with the one you can pay for at denny's

• Options

It's easy on the men's side, pre-Masters era = only BJ, post = the names you listed. Take a look at the women's grand slam (not even counting the Euro & Japan variations). The Seniors is just as bad or worse.

The cool thing is, it's possible for all 3 you mentioned to achieve it this year since they're all missing different events.

My predictions: All announcers will finally be able to pronounce Schauffele correctly. Dbacks take the West as Dodgers falter. Mayfield is the Cards starting QB week 1. Luck retires after another unsuccessful shoulder surgery. XFL2 starts drafting and training in preparation for 2019 season.

• Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Major sports stories of 2018.

1- More states discuss legalized sports gambling in their state, with a few passing.
    2- Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez begin talks about Alex coaching the Marlins.
    3- More than usual soccer stars from overseas begin coming to the USA to play soccer.
    4- Vince McMahon and a few other investors launch a new professional football league.
    5- Seattle will get a professional hockey team.
    6- Mickey and the Duke have passed, and this year Willie will join them at age 87.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    keets beat me to it but I'll second it: Vikings win first Super Bowl!!

that would be an incredible feat and if i recall correctly,it would be the first time any team won a Super Bowl playing in their home stadium.

• Options
    jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

The San Francisco Giants win the World Series. Longo WS MVP!

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

They had a match on TV between Gene Littler and Byron Nelson, and it looked like an average
    drive for them was 235-245 yards. Littler started off very slow, and even topped a drive. I think
    Littler finished 6 over and Nelson 4 over. Not very impressive considering the high level of golf today.
    I know equipment has improved a lot compared to back then but I wonder how many of those golfers
    could have successfully competed today. Ben Hogan, maybe?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2018 4:54PM

@Darin said:

I know equipment has improved a lot compared to back then but I wonder how many of those golfers
    could have successfully competed today. Ben Hogan, maybe?

all of the greats from that era. and i say that without hesitation. simply handing them the latest version of the Titleist Pro V1 would add 30-40 yards right off the bat to the figures you mentioned. then hand them some modern sticks and things would get even better. they would hardly recognize the speed of their clubheads.

a couple of months ago i played a round of golf with a few sleeves of balata balls in my bag. for those unfamiliar, they were all the rage back in the 80s and 90s. fun as all get out to play with. the cores were liquid and the covers were so soft that it felt like you were hitting a marshmallow. you could spin the hell out of them, and that in turn provided unparalleled control around the greens. but as is typically the case in many walks of life, you had to sacrifice something in return. and in the case of balata balls, that something was durability (you could not play more than about 9 holes without carving one up) and (much more importantly) distance.

my average drive is 275-280 nowadays. when i really catch one on the screws, i can sniff 300 at times. the day i played with nothing but balata balls, i could not hit a drive longer than 250 yards. that made my round of golf infinitely more trying. when you're hitting 3-4 clubs more into a green, conventional wisdom says that you should be prepared for your scores to head north.

this is why you're hearing public comments from guys like Nicklaus and Woods about the current state of technology. the balls and clubs used today are highly conducive to longer distances and lower scores. if the trend continues, before too long we'll see 8,000-yd layouts just to keep 72-hole scores from becoming obscene.

• Options
    edited January 4, 2018 5:17PM

I hit my 3 wood 280 o:) Hockey background

I love hitting balata balls with a 60 degree Cleveland still to this day. I've hit the ball backwards over my head a few times. Not intentionally I might add

A putt like a bear. I wish the hole was the size of a hockey net. So bad

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

mark

i feel your pain brother. all too often it feels like i can't hit the side of a whale's d*ck with my putter

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

i feel your pain brother. all too often it feels like i can't hit the side of a whale's d*ck with my putter

Pebble Beach is a tough course.

• Options

So... No predictions to a return to the use or persimmon head woods?

• Options

@coinkat said:
    So... No predictions to a return to the use or persimmon head woods?

Damn those were hard to hit. Those and pre Ping Black Eye blade type irons.

m

• Options

I think I still may have a set of older Ping irons and a couple of Ping putters. Still use a Ping putter

• Options

Hey, some of us here still use the original Ping Eyes (black dot). The only modern clubs I use are a G30 driver and Callaway lob, though I'm thinking I might need a 3-wood with the gap between the G30 and a 1-iron now.