Home U.S. Coin Forum

Interesting 1792 (c1859)Electrotype of a Dickeson Restrike Token Defiant eagle perched on a rock

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2017 9:11AM in U.S. Coin Forum

A little background that I was able to find but nothing more was on Dave Wnuck's site
He said, describing the token he was selling.........and I quote:

"1792” (Circa 1859) Electrotype of a Dickeson Restrike Token, Uncirculated [uncertified]. Breen-1380, Judd-C1792-1. A handsome red & brown "coin", and well made for an electrotype. The obverse features a

. The reverse displays the legends "TRIAL PIECE/DESIGNED FOR/UNITED STATES/CENT./1792." According to Walter Breen's 1988 Encyclopedia, Dr. Montroville Wilson Dickeson obtained a pair of dies created by early mint employee Adam Eckfeldt. These dies were never used for coinage or pattern purposes, and were likely sold as scrap metal by the mint. Dickeson apparently believed the die was connected with the 1792 Getz or Birch cents. I never saw or heard of one of these when I was collecting electrotypes of colonial and early American coinage, so I was surprised to see this piece."

I've had my piece for several years now but it appears that one he sold is much nicer that mine.
I would love to know who did these and how many were made.
Any help would be fantastic and much appreciated.

Here is mine

This was Daves that has been sold

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 10:18PM

Many here can tell it is an electrotype just by its surface. It would be nice to show the edge if you can as that is usually the first place to examine if a coin is a possible "electro."

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    but it appears that one he sold is much nicer that mine.

I'd much rather own yours :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is really cool. I've never seen it before.
    Sorry I can't help.

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 7:13AM

@Broadstruck said:

@coinsarefun said:
    but it appears that one he sold is much nicer that mine.

I'd much rather own yours :)

I agree.
    I love brown copper though.
    I know @coinsarefun likes hers red.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice... I cannot help with the history, but look forward to contributions to this thread. Cheers, RickO

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 I have already put the piece away so I will try soon to get this and many others back out and get them to someone who can do much better than me to image them and get the rims too.
    @Broadstruck, Thanks I do like mine but the other does not have the flaw on the reverse.
    @Timbuk3, thanks
    .@thebeav , thanks as well.
    .@Flatwoods actually I like brown as well but do prefer red if its obtainable, you know me too well :)
    But as I told Broadstruck regarding this particular one the only reason I like the other is it doesn't have the flaw on the reverse. But it does make it easier to see which one is mine if more show up over the years.
    @ricko thanks for the nice words.
    I know many here despise electrotypes but in many cases it allows me as well as others that really appreciate
    certain unattainable coins. It provides a great opportunity to hold such Wonderfull history in your hands vs. looking at pictures.
    btw, I should have included in my first post, the envelope that came with the piece. Even though I don't remember who/whereI purchased this one from it appears to be an older Coin Rarities on the envelope. Hmmmmm, guess I'm getting old :/ But I'm pretty sure I did not buy it from them as I only remember buying a certain electro from him.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love electrotypes and will post an edge image this coming week to save you a trip. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file