Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

To this board Thank you my Peace Dollar Collection from 2017

GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted to share with the board my small collection that I just recently started. Prior to coming here August 5th of this year the only coins I collected are the new coins coming out of the mint. I have only been collection for about 5 years and I am a newbie here in the coin world. So with this year coming to an end I just wanted to thank everybody here on this board for sharing all your great thoughts and wonderful pictures of your collection. Most of what I bought came from fine people on this board. Mostly cause I wanted to trust the people here since there is so much counterfeit coins for sale. So with that here is my Peace Dollars collection, since joining this board. Thank you and may everybody here have a great New Years and a prosperous 2018 .

Comments

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fine start . . . . . .

Drunner

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good stuff there!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m liking it. I’ve always thought Peace dollars were a great series to start with. They drew me back to collecting and I’ve been infatuated with them ever since.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peace Dollars are beautiful. Looks like you've got a few nice looking ones!!!

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice collection.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2017 9:22PM

Way to break out of moderns! Looks like a nice accumulation of Peace Dollars so far... are you going to expand to a true date-MM set in 2018? Best of luck in the new year.

• Options

@mvs7 said:
    Way to break out of moderns! Looks like a nice accumulation of Peace Dollars so far... are you going to expand to a true date-MM set in 2018? Best of luck in the new year.

I was not thinking about going that way but now why not? Thank you for planting the seed!

• Options

Be very careful! I started out with a bit of quasi-junk silver and ended up with a top 10 registry set. :)

• Options

Okay but sounds great top 10 nice.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice start Gluggo! Here is my starter and I definitely owe it to all members for my keener eyes.
    34 & 35 are on their way. My plan for Valentine gift is a nice 28 MS64 perhaps?

• Options

I loved every minute of it, learned tons, made lots of friends, but it became a little too all-consuming and very expensive to take it any further. I sold the set and put the $$ toward something even better......... but I feel the beginnings of the second iteration of the set rumbling.

• Options

oh...and Dan's Broken Sword of course... <3

• Options

@mvs7 said:

What is the MM set?

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice set and thanks for sharing. I'm working on a PD set but I find them difficult to grade at higher grades.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

@mvs7 said:

What is the MM set?

Date-MM set = date-mint-mark set

Basically a set of all date/mint-mark combinations. For Peace Dollars, that would include 24 coins:

1922 1922-D 1922-S
    1923 1923-D 1923-S
    1924 1924-S
    1925 1925-S
    1926 1926-D 1926-S
    1927 1927-D 1927-S
    1928 1928-S
    1934 1934-D 1934-S
    1935 1935-S

Another type of collecting is a Date Set, which for Peace Dollars would be just 10 coins including one of each date, regardless of mint mark. This allows a collector to work around tough coins like 1928 or 1934-S by using 1928-S and 1934 or 1934-D for those dates.

• Options

Date-MM set = date-mint-mark set

I greatly appreciate your time & expertise. It is quite substantial to do the MM set. Mahalo again

• Options

The 24 coin set is a blast. Just drop the grades you’re looking a bit for the keys & semi-keys. There’s plenty of nice AU coins out there.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set of peace dollars, 64 and 65 grades are a challenge to work with.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great start in a great hobby, congrats :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Peace dollars.... you have a nice start, and if the 'set bug' bites you, it will be a fun journey....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 6:48AM

@Gluggo said:
    I wanted to share with the board my small collection that I just recently started. Prior to coming here August 5th of this year the only coins I collected are the new coins coming out of the mint. I have only been collection for about 5 years and I am a newbie here in the coin world. So with this year coming to an end I just wanted to thank everybody here on this board for sharing all your great thoughts and wonderful pictures of your collection. Most of what I bought came from fine people on this board. Mostly cause I wanted to trust the people here since there is so much counterfeit coins for sale. So with that here is my Peace Dollars collection, since joining this board. Thank you and may everybody here have a great New Years and a prosperous 2018 .

What a great note, @Gluggo. Thanks for writing it. I'm sure all of us here wish you (and each other) the very best for 2018 as well. Group hug?

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file