Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1979 Topps Baseball Tray amputated.

OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭
edited December 28, 2017 5:06PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Purchased knowing the gum had soaked through a least 2 of the cards in each pack. The seller clearly stated so. Time to find out how bad it is.

Comments

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

PLEASE let us know. I bought 3 trays and waiting for them to be delivered!!!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

hopefully its not too bad

• Options

At least this pack was totally as described on the web site. Each card past the first two are totally normal, no signs of gum smegma creep. The centering is beautiful on them too :) Two other packs tomorrow.

• Options

Does anyone know if Don Mattingly secretly came in as a rookie in 79 under the name Garry Hancock playing for the Red Sox ? He failed, so he then came back in to the league in 84 as a rookie under the name we know him as, Don Mattingly ?

• Options

"At least this pack was totally as described on the web site. Each card past the first two are totally normal, no signs of gum smegma creep. The centering is beautiful on them too :) Two other packs tomorrow."

Tomorrow??? What do you mean, "tomorrow"???? Haven't you heard of not putting of something until tomorrow that you can do today????

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

79 is so brutal. I opened a vending once and did manage a PSA 9 Rose but a lot of brutal

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    79 is so brutal. I opened a vending once and did manage a PSA 9 Rose but a lot of brutal

Agreed. With the degree of difficulty involved, you'd think that many Mint 9 commons would be worth more than a cup of coffee, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

regular coffee or the starbucks prices coffee?

• Options

The centering continued to be immaculate in the 2nd pack. Only the first card was heavily damaged, the 2nd card does has residue but more minimal.

• Options

Last one:

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting...I was curious about these...now it appears I'm going to have to order a few! I love ripping 79 baseball but the prices just can't usually be justified

• Options

Just got mine. They look a little nasty and smell a little funky. Will rip some and post results later!

• Options

Ok, so I purchased 3 of the trays....9 packs total. All but one pack the two cards next to the gum is ruined, one pack only one card was. Centering was decent on about half of the cards. I got near no star power. Off center Robin Yount and off center Eddie Murray. Luck of the draw and that's how it goes. Just for those of you possibly looking to purchase some of them, please note that they stink. In that I mean they smell really bad. Mold/mildew. Will need a good hand washing after handling them. Two of the trays the mold and mildew was just on the side of the pack where the gum is located. On my third tray there was mold and mildew all over the inside of the packs. It didn't damage any of the other cards, it was just in there. If the cardboard trays weren't in perfect condition, you would think these were subjected to water. Good luck to any of you that have some on the way or are going to purchase. Was a fun little rip!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I'm disappointed at what that gum did to one of my favorite players - Pedro Guerrero.

Mike
  • Options

STONE !! (in an Archie Bunker mode) Stiffle YourSelf ! until pics of the finished rooms are done. :)

if anyone wants the lot, minus '2' of them which could get a 7 and I could sell them for no lower than 1/3 grading fees, the below is yours with a PM'd address.

• Options

I have to ask....did your not stink horribly?? Like you had to wash your hands multiple times to get the smell to go away???? I threw away the packs but the cards still have that stink. It's like getting that stench from a sweaty butt crack to go away, just doesn't happen.

• Options

No man. Not here with my tray.

May be biased though. To me there isn't anything more wonderful than a gooshy bum already achieved by the 3rd hole in an 18 hole round of golf.

No, the tray did not actually stink. Lyme disease, other, notwithstanding.

• Options

Lol, I don't know how I got so lucky then.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@pjb103183 said:
    Thanks for posting...I was curious about these...now it appears I'm going to have to order a few! I love ripping 79 baseball but the prices just can't usually be justified

Maybe this is an inside joke because oddrodz was a little crazy, but the centering on these looks awful. Is anyone happy with these purchases? I haven't seen one decent card posted from these rips.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

@Sdub said:

Maybe this is an inside joke because oddrodz was a little crazy, but the centering on these looks awful. Is anyone happy with these purchases? I haven't seen one decent card posted from these rips.

No offense to anyone or the seller, but I would have rather spent my $145 on something I am working on, or really anything else. I was just in a major rip mode at the time.