Home U.S. Coin Forum

2017 D nickel errors

Foumd a 2017D nickel that has doubling errors on both sides. The date and the word liberty has noticeable doubling. And on the reverse it has noticable doubling on the word "Monticello"
Have i found a possibly rare and potentially valueable coin?
Thanks everybody. Please help

Comments

• Here are a few more pics

• howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

It's all very common strike doubling. Not worth any premium.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@howards said:
    It's all very common strike doubling. Not worth any premium.

I think it is actually a form of die erosion doubling, since all the doubling is spread in a radial direction.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting pics and thx for posting, but the fact that it is on 2 sides is a huge clue that it is likely mechanical doubling rather than a doubled die. A true doubled due would impact one die, and the chances of having two doubled dies on one coin are extremely unlikely to say the least.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like MD.

• Thank you everybody who gave me an insight to this nickel. I am very new to coin collecting. I havea question..
    Why is mechanical doubling so much valueable, or sought after as compared to a "double die". It seems that both have remarkable beauty as well as being one of a kind????

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mechanical doubling, no added value

Frank

BHNC #203

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

@Hvacdave said:
    Thank you everybody who gave me an insight to this nickel. I am very new to coin collecting. I havea question..
    Why is mechanical doubling so much valueable, or sought after as compared to a "double die". It seems that both have remarkable beauty as well as being one of a kind????

You have this backwards, 'doubled dies' are more valuable than 'machine doubling' because it's the actual coin press that randomly spits out a machine doubled coin vs a set of dies that were prepared that has the doubling on them producing a 'doubled die' on every struck coin...a true 'mint error'

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hvacdave.... Welcome aboard.... Yes, it is likely die erosion doubling or machine doubling.. in either case, no added value. A true 'doubled die', or DD (O or R) is worth more for the reason outlined above. Cheers, RickO

@Hvacdave said:
    It seems that both have remarkable beauty as well as being one of a kind????

That statement is incorrect and is at the root of your confusion, A doubled die has the "error" (die variety) on the actual die. The details were impressed into the die twice with at least slight movement in between impressions. every coin made from that "defective" die will have the same result. There may be tens of thousands of coins made from the doubled die. Collectors seek these as a legitimate variety.

Mechanical Doubling (or, Ejection Doubling, or Machine Doubling) will essentially be a separate event each time it occurs, although the same effect may look similar or even identical on coins exhibiting this. MD is basically sloppy workmanship. No premium is normally attached, although you might find an extreme example that people might want to collect as a curiosity or for reference.

Sometimes worn dies may also produce coins that appear to have some doubled features. These sometimes are collected as curiosities, but they usually do not have any real value. The exception is when a die is polished or damaged and produces a variety that gains an audience - three legged Buffalo nickels for example - and then they may have some value.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that an "online pamphlet" should be given to each new member when they join the boards.......stating the difference between MDD and a doubled die.

On second thought....NO. This place would become "Sleepy Hollow II".

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK Thanks for the wonderful explanation on the differences of Mechanical Doubling versus a true Double Die variety.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

@divecchia said:
    @JBK Thanks for the wonderful explanation on the differences of Mechanical Doubling versus a true Double Die variety.

Donato

Thx!

I meant to add that the OP's coin is an extreme example of MD and I for one would keep it if I found it.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2018 11:55AM

Here is a classic example of a doubled die, the 1955 1c DDO. As @JBK noted, the error was caused in the obverse die manufacturing process by two subsequent impressions from the hub that are not aligned. As the rotation error is more noticeable as you get farther away from the center, the mottos and devices nearer the rim (farther from the center) will have the most doubling. The key is that ANY coin that is struck from this die will have the doubling. Mechanical doubling, on the other hand, is just happenstance where one coin is struck twice by a normal die with slight moving of the planchet between strikes... that's why each is unique... but it also happens a lot, which is why there is no premium, even if they are cool.

(H/T PCGS CoinFacts)

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:
    Here is a classic example of a doubled die, the 1955 1c DDO. As @JBK noted, the error was caused in the obverse die manufacturing process by two subsequent impressions from the hub that are not aligned. As the rotation error is more noticeable as you get farther away from the center, the mottos and devices nearer the rim (farther from the center) will have the most doubling. The key is that ANY coin that is struck from this die will have the doubling. Mechanical doubling, on the other hand, is just happenstance where one coin is struck twice by a normal die with slight moving of the planchet between strikes... that's why each is unique... but it also happens a lot, which is why there is no premium, even if they are cool.

(H/T PCGS CoinFacts)

Excellent example/photo of the 55 DD.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • @Hvacdave said:
    Foumd a 2017D nickel that has doubling errors on both sides. The date and the word liberty has noticeable doubling. And on the reverse it has noticable doubling on the word "Monticello"

So is it a double die error if i have the excact same coin with the exact same errors.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smithtim28 said:

@Hvacdave said:

So is it a double die error if i have the excact same coin with the exact same errors.

To be more exact:
    It is a "doubleD die" error if it was caused by a die that had doubling on it. All doubleD dies will have exactly the same coin impression.

Mechanical doubling is a random process error that varies considerable. It is an "error" of sorts, just not an error anyone cares much about. If you look at enough coins you will see minor versions of "strike doubling" or "machine doubling" VERY FREQUENTLY. The coin you have is on the extreme end and, if you find it interesting, may be worth saving. But it is not rare and incredibly valuable.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago when I searched through $200 US Mint bags of Jefferson nickels, from one bag I sorted out machine doubling of the EPU with the use of an egg carton. I had 5-6 varieties I think, where the EPU shifted from left to right to some degree. I think I still have them in a bag somewhere.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Great info - thanks

• I have a 2017 d with exact same doubling both on the obverse and reverse I especially took note around the mint mark... I believe it's legit. and remember on these newer coins there it's not the same kind of doubling it's the single squeeze strike process that is different than the older striking.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

True doubled die vs strike doubling and die deterioration
    https://youtu.be/-OuUC1ecnq8

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@Blizake82 said:
    I have a 2017 d with exact same doubling both on the obverse and reverse I especially took note around the mint mark... I believe it's legit. and remember on these newer coins there it's not the same kind of doubling it's the single squeeze strike process that is different than the older striking.

How do you get past the fact that the OP's coin shows the flat, shelf-like doubling that is an indicator of machine doubling?

• I found this same error on this nickel so based on the conversations above would this be considered a DD error or MD error? I was a little confused. Thanks in advance, and ill post more photos.

• Here is a another photo of the face and a photo of the obverse of the nickel with the same doubling as the nickel initially mentioned in this thread.

MD. "Flat and shelf-like".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file