Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My New Years Resolution 2018 - Wax Packs are to be opened (unless they have some stars showing!)

tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
edited February 26, 2018 6:26PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hey everyone. I'm finally back online and in a place where i can start going thru my card collection again (slowly, but hey, it beats removing wet drywall!). I had decided that after all of this, that I needed to enjoy my collection and not store away too much stuff as I just couldn't get enough of it safe from Hurricane Irma (although most of my collection did fine, less a few PSA graded cards, some sets in binders, a ton of 1997/1998 donruss preferred tins (with packs still inside, quite soggy) and a few boxes of football singles. Most of my unopened collection survived, so I decided that it's time to rip!...And rip, and rip!...So up first, and I'm going to try real hard to do this all next year (and get a head start today!), I'll be ripping boxes of mostly junk wax stuff, but I'll also throw in some early 80's football/baseball boxes too, just to keep things interesting..

Okay, enough blubbering, onto the first box, a fine one at that, a sealed 1992-93 Topps Basketball Series 1. Going to be looking for the star power and all of the Jordan's I can handle.

So here's an image of a pack

3 Packs in, I'm quite happy as I already got 2 Jordans!...

Let the ripping continue!

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!

Comments

• tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

9 packs in, nothing special other than the above, will continue more tomorrow

Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball

Half the box gone, did find another Jordan and his AS on the front of another pack (I missed another pack with his regular issue :( )

3/4 thru the box, 2 more Jordan's for viewing pleasure!...Hoping to get a gold edition Jordan, but I'm happy so far!

Okay, box is finished, didn't hit any other Jordan's but did find Magic lurking on the back of a pack so I will set aside. Up next I found a couple of eBay boxes that I was going to sell, but the value of selling vs the fun of ripping made my decision to open. Up next is a couple of boxes of 1992 Topps Football, Series 1, 2 and the High Series. I had already pulled the star packs out, so these don't have any stars on top, but plenty of chances for some Favre cards, along with the normal HOF's (Smith/Sanders/Allen/Elway/Marino/Montana/Young/Rice/and a few others). Nothing too fancy, but would be nice to get some gold versions of the HOF's..

Opened up 10 packs last night, not too much excitement, but here's a sample of the goodies!

Another 10 mixed packs, got a few cool ones!...Mr Favre showed up (hoping to find one in gold!)

Another dozen packs, not much on the series 1/2 packs, but those high series packs are sweet!..Got a Rice Gold card!

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2018 10:03PM

I love this thread. I remember ripping those 92 BK packs when they came out in search of a Jordan Gold. Good luck with your rips this year. Looks like you’re in for some fun this year. To ring in the new year I had my own junk wax rip last night. First time I can remember not hitting a Barry RC out of a PS2 box. Two gem worthy Deions made it a worthwhile rip though:) Gotta love 89 Pro Set collation: I got both Deions in one pack and both Aikmans in another pack.

Steve
    edited January 2, 2018 8:39AM

Well, to close out that batch of packs, I only ended up with an Elway, but onto more fun!...Next up was a large flat rate box of various rack packs (89 Bowman & Donruss, 90 Fleer and 91 and 92 Topps). 70 packs in all (along with a straggler from 1987). Will be of course looking for pretty Griffey's and some Johnsons, Sosa's from the fleer, Chipper from the 91 Topps, and geez, is there really anything much of value in the 92's, except the Manny's and maybe the 2nd year Chipper?. Pretty sure Shawn Green isn't where the money is at in this set, funny how the top 2 graded cards in this year was Manny and Shawn followed by the Nolan and Chipper

Well, what are the odds when you open a single 1987 rack pack and pull a Bonds...Pretty good in my case...Unfortunately not grade worthy :(, also out of 8 packs or so of 89 Bowman, happened to pull the only card with a grease spot on it...can you see it :( Guess that was my luck, but still quite fun to pull the 2 big cards from each!...Going to try the 91 Topps next, maybe Chipper shows up (and centered would be nice too!)

Up next was a lot of 1991 Topps rack packs. Didn't do too bad on this, 15 packs and I got a Chipper, a couple of Griffey's and a Thomas. Also got that extremely rare insert of Chuck Hinton. Who you may ask? Well, I also pulled a vintage card from 1969 out of this lot too!...Unfortunately, some paper damage on the back holds this one back, not great to begin with, but hey, I found an actual vintage card in one of these packs!

So far after 3 different rack pack types, I have pulled the key card from each year. Going to try the 89 Donruss next, Griffey and Johnson's I hope!

Okay, busted out around 15 packs of 89 Donruss...My luck ran out, unless you are a big Gary Sheffield RC collector...Can't believe out of 15 packs I pulled 4 of them!...No Griffey's or Johnson's, but I'm pretty sure I still have some extra racks out in my storage container!.. Onto the next fun batch, 90 Fleer! Looking for Sosa's and old Juan Gonzalez, along with Griffey's and oh, what the heck, even my buddy "Joey" Belle and Larry Walker!...These were the "schlitz" back in the days!

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Opened a lot of these back in the day. Oh, the memories!

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
    edited January 5, 2018 8:15AM

Well, so much for the 1990 Fleer!...Did pull a Sosa!...Also a couple of Griffey's and oh, if ol "Joey" could have held out a bit longer (and a bit better attitude!) he could have been a nice HOF card for this set..Oh well, that is how it goes

Onto some 1992 Topps rack packs, maybe we'll find a Manny (geez, from Albert to Manny, what a pair!) or a nice gold edition of Griffey/Thomas/Ryan and such

Okay!...That was fun!...Nothing too exciting with the 92 Topps, but here's a few samplings of my finds. I use the top 5 or so cards of that year that were graded, so sometimes you have a few that didn't pan out as well, but I found 3 Ripken's in this batch and a Griffey!...

Onto the next box!...Another medium flat rate that was suppose to sell in my eBay store, but again, the cost vs ripping fun makes it not worth the time to sell, much more fun to rip! We have 88 Donruss (woohoo!), 88 Topps and then 89 Fleer and Donruss (now these will be fun looking for some error's and Griffey/Johnson!). Unfortunately, there are about 4 packs of 88 Donruss to each of the others, so I'm ripping lots of 88 Donruss looking for Glavine and Alomar rookies, along with who??? Devon White???, the 3rd most graded card in this set, just above the Mark brothers (Grace and McGwire)...Should be fun!

Okay, most of those 88 Donruss packs are opened, pulled some nicely off-centered Glavines, but I did get 3 Devon Whites!!! I think the one on the bottom has a chance at a 10 :D , at least the centering is pretty dang close, top to bottom a bit off, but not too much!...Could it be worth some big bucks? Time will tell (or not!)

Okay, finished up those 88 Donruss, just a McGwire for the best of the rest, onto the 88 Topps. Only 9 cello's of these, did pull a Glavine, just a tad off center.

Onto some 89 Fleer Cello's...Crossing fingers for FF's and Johnson/Griffey's!

Alrighty, last night I opened the 89 fleer's and got skunked, nothing but a Smoltz card, so I figured I would try the last of the cello's, the 89 Donruss, even worse, just a pair of Schilling RC's.. That was it for the cello's!

So onto another box of racks, same stuff as before, maybe some better luck!

Up first was the 89 Bowman's...No Griffey's again! :( but still a fun rip!

Next up the lovely and never ending batch of 90 Fleer! Maybe some more Sosa's and Griffey's!

• jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

This is such a fun thread. I have been ripping some late 80's wax with my 8 year-old recently. This brings back some great memories of my teenage years, where much of my cash went toward opening packs, until girls came into the picture.

Okay, enough 90 Fleer!...Nothing too fancy, a few of the cards, but probably not worth much more than the grading fees...But just the fun of pulling a star card makes up for it!...

Up next is some 1991 Topps...Going after those Chipper's!

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanx for sharing.

Have opened loads of this when they came out - with my son - was tons of fun at a good price.

Looking forward to the upcoming stuff.

Mike

All done with the 91 Topps, got me another Chipper and 2 Griffey's!..Plus a Thomas sighting!...Quite a bit of fun...

Okay, onto some 89 Donruss, hoping for better luck than last time!...Come on Griffey's and Johnsons!

Alrighty!...Hit some good cards this time!..Got my Griffey and Johnson!....trying a new trick with the scanner, using a black sheet background to see if that makes them pop out a bit more..will look cooler on the white border cards!...Anyhow, here's what we got!

Onto some 1992 Topps Football!...Got a bunch of loose packs of all 3 series, so going to work on those for a bit before moving back into some other stuff, will keep the photos going. Goal is to try and update each day with more pics!

Opened up 40 packs of 92 Football, just series 1 and 2 (holding the high series for tonight :) ), boy, talk about a lousy set, unless it's the high series, very little star power in those boxes. I remember 92 was that strange year, don't remember all of the facts, but most of the quarterbacks were either in the 2nd series or update sets. Anyhow here's what I pulled and up tonight will be a bunch of high series packs looking for Favre's and any good gold ones!

3/4 of the way thru the packs, hit me a Favre and a gold Aikman!..Gotta love junk wax fun!

Okay, finished those up, not too shabby in the end, another Favre and Mr Rice showed up too!...

Onto some 1992 Topps baseball next. I promise something better soon, just still digging thru the shipping container and can't remember where some of the stuff I want to rip is at. So for some eye candy, I put these babies up as they did survive the storm!.And Mantles are always good to see!

Well I found another batch of 92 Topps football, so I did fun quick rip of those puppies today!...Quite fun and when ripping 80 packs, you get some good stuff!...Finally got me a Favre gold card so was quite happy on the last batch that I got one...Sorry about the photos, but I like showing the good stuff!...

I found a portion of my unopened basketball boxes and to celebrate, a 89-90 Fleer wax will be exhumed from the container and dealt with appropriately...Hoping for some nice pulls there! Should be starting on that tomorrow!

Here's the 89-90 Fleer box!

Have gone thru the first 9 packs, and I was happy to find 2 Jordan AS's!...One I caught on the wrapper, the other I somehow missed in my analysis, but either way, I'm happy to find a pair on the first lot of packs as that tells me that someone probably didn't cherry pick this one!

Centering hasn't been very good, unless it's a low end common, then it seems to be perfect! :s , but here's the star power of what was pulled so far (note the 1992 Topps Manny was an earlier day rip that didn't provide any good candy, except this card!

Time to rip some more packs!

Okay half way thru the box, haven't had a Jordan sighting yet, but I did pull another 2 packs back that have Larry Bird stickers on them, so 4 of 18 packs have been set aside. Centering is still terrible, this box definitely needed some quality controls!

Okay, 3/4 the way thru the box, had another Jordan AS showing on the top pack, so that one is set aside along with a Johnson AS. So 6 packs I have set aside and still, no regular issue Jordan's (hoping this box wasn't sorted since I did find 3 Jordan AS's), but anyhow, here's the highlights, still this box stinks as far as centering, kind of glad I haven't seen a Jordan since it would be OC anyways.

After the last batch, I've got a good ole 90-91 Fleer box lined up to be cracked and ripped!...more Jordan's I hope!

edited January 18, 2018 6:42AM

Woohoo!...We had a Jordan sighting!..Unfortunately, like the rest of the box, too far OC for any grading...that was a fun box and I'm happy to add some more unopened packs to my star pack collection! 2 Johnson AS packs were put aside so 8 packs out of the 36 were kept and I missed catching a Bird on the back of one other (these are hard to see the back card and sometimes I only get a few letters to go by. Anyhow, here's the goodies

And onto the next box, a fine box of 90-91 Fleer..Looking for more Jordan's!...

Couldn't hold out too long, so I ripped away the first 9 packs, put aside a Johnson on top pack and boom, 2nd pack in I hit a Jordan!...OC again, but better this time, still not worth grading, but fun pulling!...Here are the rest of the stars from these packs

Ripped another 9 packs, set 2 aside as I found Johnson and Kemp on top. Pulled another Jordan!..This one is close, easily a 9, maybe it has a chance at a 10...Someday maybe...

3/4 of the way thru, nothing too fancy, onto the last 9 packs!

Okay, I finished off that box, did get another Jordan!...Centering close, just a tad OC top to bottom, probably a 9, doubt it has a shot at a 10. Also found a pack with Bird on top, so I sat that one aside

Okay, taking a quick break from the basketball, for another box of football..Up next is the exciting (okay, I'm joking) 1991 Bowman wax box!...Woohoo!...Who might be lurking in here worth tons of money, well, looks like absolutely nothing!...Okay, just the normal ones, Sanders/Smith/Rice/Marino/Elway/Montana and such..2nd year Emmitt's highlight this set...Oh well, maybe I'll find some winners showing on the fronts and backs as you can see thru these.

First 9 packs done, did have an Emmitt sighting!..Nothing to write home about, but it's always a fun rip finding the stars

Okay, the rest of the box wasn't that great, but got most of the normal cards you would get, so it ended up being a decent box.

Onto the next fun project!....1992-93 Fleer!!! Series 1...Get me some Jordans!!!!

1/2 thru the box and got me a few jordans! :)

Okay, finished that box, got a few more Jordans!...Not sure what to rip next, but will start digging into the storage container!

Found a box of 1989-90 Hoops Series 1 box that became my next victim! :) 9 Packs in, got me a Jordan from the second pack but too OC for much...More to follow!

That was a fun box to rip yesterday!...Okay, finished that one up, got me plenty of Jordan's and even the "Admiral" showed up twice, so I was quite happy. Found one pack with Magic on the back, so I put aside.

Next up will be another pile of baseball rack packs, nothing fancy, haven't opened the box, but probably more of the same junk wax stuff, but always fun to rip!

Here's what is ripping next!...Bunch of junk wax, but gotta love the 89's as there are chances for Griffey's and Johnson...91's for Chipper!...

Opened those 91 packs, not too much exciting but did pull a Griffey and Thomas, no Chippers...Oh well, onto something!...Will open the 90 Fleer's and pull Sammy's and Griffey's...Then save the 89 packs for last..

Finished off those 90 Fleer's..No Sosa, but still got me a Griffey and Mr Juan himself...Onto some 92 Topps looking for Manny's!

Got thru those 92's...Boy, if Mr Floyd had been the card, I would have been rich!...Oh well, still some nice cards...Onto a pair of 87 racks and then the 89 Donruss racks.

Fun so far!....Just 6 packs into the 89 Donruss and a pair of Johnson's and Griffey showed up (unfortunately the Griffey is pretty ugly looking with the diamond cut :( ) . Opened the 2 packs of 87 Topps and Larkin popped out!..And it's a pretty one too!...Think that one could pull a 10, the Johnson's look like 9's to me with the centering..

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:18AM

@robert67 said:
    Great stuff so far. My favorite thread this year!

Thanks!...Trying to update this each day as I can, going to be a fun year of ripping as I have quite a few things hidden inside the container, I just need to get deeper into the boxes :) I have some 81/82/83 Topps boxes/racks/cello's that will be on the chopping block, just got to find them first!

Just an update for the day, opened the rest of the 89 Donruss, nothing too exciting after the first 6 packs, so I'm now opening the 89 Bowman, 4 racks in and nothing to talk about...Will try and finish the rest tonight or early tomorrow...

Okay, I busted out the remaining Bowman racks and lo and behold, Mr Griffey showed up!...But like my last one, it seems to have a small grease spot on the bottom in the border area :(. Not sure on the odds of pulling the same problem in 2 different cards but it was fun anyways!...It was a little too OC top/bottom so I use that as a good excuse.

Onto the next stuff!...Looks like we are back to basketball again. Up first is a box of 91-92 Hoops Series 1 Rack packs. Those have the Jordan Slam Dunk inserts so will be on the lookout for those, usually get 2 per box, 12 racks per box, the slam dunk series was just 6 cards.

Let's go find some Jordans!! :)