Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

First Card show in years this weekend

Headed to my first show in many years this weekend. What can i expect? Do dealers take debit/credit cards now or is it all cash like the old days? Do i still have bargain power or has the internet killed that? Thanks. I’m quite excited to be going.

Comments

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Cash talks but some dealers take cards depending on the size of the show. Yes you have some bargaining power with most all dealers. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Be prepared for sticker shock.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck to you. Hasn't been a card show in my area for five years now.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Wow. My first show in over 10 years and i was like a kid in the candy store. Only 20 or so dealers but had some stuff i never would have expected to see at a small Orlando show, 52 Mantle, t206 Cobb, Jordan rookies, mantles from every year, all the newest boxes...I’m hooked again on the hobby but on the business side. If your ever in Orlando i was told this show runs every other month. Great crowd too. Pman

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

Glad you had fun, what did you pick up?

• Options

@heritage said:
    Glad you had fun, what did you pick up?

Didn’t buy anything. Was taking in the
    Scene. The quality of high grade cards was awesome. Tried to deal on some current wax but couldn’t come to an agreed price.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are pretty lucky then. Went to my first show in years, little one in my town of 115k people, a couple weeks ago. It used to be a big show with a huge room(for a hotel show) full of deals. It was in this tiny room with horrible lighting, maybe 8 dealers with 20 total tables. Most of the stuff was new insert stuff. I did talk show with the guy that puts the show on, he had some nice older stuff, mid to higher grade PSA and his prices weren't bad. Almost pulled the trigger on a 56 Mantle but didn't pull the trigger as we were $25 apart. Maybe next month one of us will bend, lol. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

give us a trip report....interested in what struck you as new or shocking vs what u remembered

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options

@seebelow said:
    give us a trip report....interested in what struck you as new or shocking vs what u remembered

So it was just as intimidating as always standing in front of a dealer table trying check out the goods. I didn’t remember such a mix of dealers, super low end low value stuff and super high end, can’t believe i am seeing this card in person, stuff (52 mantle, t206 Cobb, a guy with every year + of psa graded mantles, all the newest judge cards, etc ..
    I also remembered a lot more unopened stuff being sold in the past, of the 20 or so dealers only 2 had current boxes.
    Anyhow, made at least 5 loops around. Had a few nice conversations and saw a few dealers who weren’t as friendly. 10/10 experience in my book.

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Wierd, I wouldn't think $25 would be enough to be too far apart on a '56 Mantle

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mintacular said:

+1

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mintacular said:

Well, sometimes negotiating is half the fun when it comes to higher priced cards. Not to mention that it has too be too far apart; either the seller could have hit the bid or the buyer could have lifted the offer, yet neither did. I think it's implied that we're not talking about a 9.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this show at the Fashion Square Mall?

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    Is this show at the Fashion Square Mall?

No. The Sheraton North in Maitland. Great show. Next one in february.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I really miss shows. They used to be weekly here but I haven't been to one since 2005...and it required a 4+ hour drive to Massachusetts to get to at that.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History