Home U.S. Coin Forum

My type set 12/26/17

FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 26, 2017 6:44PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I finally got out my type set coins and went through everything.
I started this years ago as a Dansco 7070 set and it is still evolving.
Sort of a sideline project but I enjoy it.

I don't do this nearly as often as I should because it is a pretty time consuming process.

It gives me a chance to find coins that I bought and didn't put where they should have been put.
Reminds me of the ones I still need.

It also gives me a chance to practice my photo skills. I really enjoy my coins much more now that I can take images of them.
It lets me see things that I never could before.
I actually found pvc on my Barber dime that I wouldn't have seen without the huge pic.
Posting them here, where I can see them all together, helps me to see how well matched they are as well.
These weren't intended to be glamour shots. I set the camera and lights up and imaged everything the same.

I have done this a couple of times in the past and I found the old threads.
That is the main reason I do them.
I thought it would be fun to compare the progress through the years.
But alas, my pics are in the Photobucket netherworld.

I'll upload these here and maybe they will be around for a while.

There are a couple of duplicates that I am trying to decide which to keep.
Any comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Comments

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perfect presentation . . . and quite advanced (3cS Types!). Matching quite well in grade and representing commerce yet with a lot of 'meat' on every coin. A lack of any 'problems' too . . .every coin just has a perfect skin of circulation.

Very well done. Enviable.

Drunner

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great group of coins, looking forward to the quarters and halves and dollars.

Nice that they're original higher grade circulated even when BU would be easy.

Even so, i think you can find a better T2 Buff and clad Roosie..

Awesome set nonetheless!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice group of coins! It is amazing what details a person can miss until its in a full size screen picture. Lol

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys.
    I really enjoy posting these here. It helps me get a good overall impression.

The clad Roosie was kind of a setup. I pulled it out of my pocket last night.
    I just wanted to make sure that I got some honest feedback.

Thanks, Baley! :)

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy oh boy.....That's a well matched type set. Very nice coins.
    I was wondering why you don't have a type 2 SLQ. That's got to be an easy hole to fill.....

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I did until today!
    That's the reason I do this. I must have had 3 dozen of them over the years but dang if I can find one now.
    Something else to look for.

• robecrobec Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it. ❤️ Great job putting these together.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Flatwoods said:
    Thanks guys.

Your 1970- D Roosie is the "scarcer" of two reverse types for the year, RDV-002. It has heavily incised lines in the torch.
    It is supposed to be "rare" but I have found that around 1 in 20 coins is this type.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set. Lots of fun without all the hand-wringing and pearl-clutching that comes with the money required to buy condition rarities. Nicely matched set. Thanks for sharing!

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a nice looking 7070.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good looking set!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    Great group of coins, looking forward to the quarters and halves and dollars.

Nice that they're original higher grade circulated even when BU would be easy.

Even so, i think you can find a better T2 Buff and clad Roosie..

Awesome set nonetheless!

That is what I like about this set, the nice circulated look the coins have.
    And they're all in a pretty tight grade range with a similar look.

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice. I especially like your FE cent and the first '21 Peace dollar, but they're all evidence of great choosiness on your part.

mirabela
  • OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, a nicely matched set. Congrats.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a great set of coins.... really nicely matched. Overall a set to be proud of.... represents the essence of coin collecting. Cheers, RickO

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome looking set and I could not agree more with ricko's assessment.

Great job putting this collection together.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to pick between the 1859-O and 1859 dimes. I would go with the 1859, since it is a nice match for the 1859 quarter.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2017 12:59PM

Thanks for sharing, nice set you have going so far. The Peace dollars I have a hard time deciding on. The first one has nice color and the second one a bit stronger strike and/or more detail. Edit to add... I agree with @mirabela on that FIRST Peace dollar.

• vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. nice collection.

The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

@Flatwoods said:
    Thanks guys.

Even though it was a setup, I absolutely LOVE the matched-circulated aesthetic you went for. All the coins are wonderful. The circ steel cent (without rust!) is great, as are the silver trimes, the seated half dimes -- all of them! Love it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file