Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Slabbed "milk-spotted" silver

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Recently I've seen milk-spotted silver in an NGC slab. I verified the number, and the very noticeable white spots WERE present at slab / phto time.

Does anyone know if PCGS would slab such a coin at grade? Or would it be deemed "details" only?

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2017 3:10PM

Now that the major grading services do not guarantee the grade of coins that spot in the holder, perhaps they are being more liberal. Unfortunately, you did not give the grade of the coin as it appears on the label. Spots should not be on MS-70's but one tiny spot on a coin can drop the grade to MS-69.

• Options

It's an NGC PR64 UCAM.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

A photo would be nice here. I have a feeling the coin in question, grading PR64, isn't an ASE, and that its spots are of a different nature from those that grow on ASEs in slabs.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2017 6:26AM

NGC has graded a tad under 200 PF 64's over the last 30 years (thirteen 95-W's) . There are even a few 60's and 61's out there. The spots would be a reason for a downgrade but would not prevent it from getting a numerical grade
    It would be appropriate to have a pic

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

If possible can you post a photo of this coin?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Milk spots will definitely downgrade a coin.... Not sure why someone would submit a coin with milkspots... and, unfortunately, they do form after slabbing. That being noted, I personally would not submit one with spots already on the coin... Cheers, RickO

• Options

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess there's a market for coins that look like that, but it's not chez moi.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

A market filled with uninformed collectors. I own a few spotted coins (raw & slabbed) that I bought just to show people. :wink:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file