Home U.S. Coin Forum

New generation of counterfeit $100 "Supernotes" reported

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

High stakes criminal on a suicide mission willing to take millions of people with him.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's too bad that the story doesn't give any pick-up-points to help identifying these. Perhaps the SS thinks this would be of too much help to the manufacturers.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be good to know how to detect these notes. I understand that broadcasting such details allows the counterfeiters to correct their errors... however, without such information, the public is subject to the fraud. Cheers, RickO

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

Such high quality counterfeits could wreak havoc on our economy if allowed to proliferate, a scary prospect.

I recall several years ago attending a Numismatic Theater presentation at an ANA World's Fair of Money, presented by a Secret Service agent under the auspices of the Treasury Department Counterfeit Detection Division, discussing the threat of then new counterfeit $20 Federal Reserve notes which they had recently discovered. He described them as the very best they had ever seen, and almost impossible to detect. At the end of his presentation he opened it up to questions from the audience. One attendee asked the obvious question: "If they were so good as to be virtually undetectable, how was the Treasury Department able to detect them? His response was a bit sobering. He replied that they were discovered in circulation one week before the release of the new, official $20 Federal Reserve notes, being issued to avert counterfeiting.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrHalfDime said:
    Such high quality counterfeits could wreak havoc on our economy if allowed to proliferate, a scary prospect.

I recall several years ago attending a Numismatic Theater presentation at an ANA World's Fair of Money, presented by a Secret Service agent under the auspices of the Treasury Department Counterfeit Detection Division, discussing the threat of then new counterfeit $20 Federal Reserve notes which they had recently discovered. He described them as the very best they had ever seen, and almost impossible to detect. At the end of his presentation he opened it up to questions from the audience. One attendee asked the obvious question: "If they were so good as to be virtually undetectable, how was the Treasury Department able to detect them? His response was a bit sobering. He replied that they were discovered in circulation one week before the release of the new, official $20 Federal Reserve notes, being issued to avert counterfeiting.

That explains WHEN they were discovered, but not HOW!

theknowitalltroll;
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

"His response was a bit sobering. He replied that they were discovered in circulation one week before the release of the new, official $20 Federal Reserve notes, being issued to avert counterfeiting."

Sooooo, identifying those "super" 20s was justification for the upcoming new 20s? Ugh!

This does give me reason to wonder, when the most recent note redesigns were done, it was to implement anti-counterfeit measures. I guess they need more of those.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

nope. By 1 week before introduction, the educational literature for the new $20s had been in circulation for over a year. Remember, every bank teller and cashier in the US needed to be alerted so they would accept the bills. Also the public. There were brochures, adverts, even downloadable guides to the new security features.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you see pics of American $100 bills where drug people and other places have them in bundles or even pallets full of them, it makes you wonder how easy it would be to slip some fakes into the bundles.

I've seen one place where they had a counterfeit detection device that they ran the bill though [even $1 bills] before they accepted it.

theknowitalltroll;
  • MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2017 9:15AM

"That explains WHEN they were discovered, but not HOW!"

Actually, it does explain how, as BStrauss3 states above:

"By 1 week before introduction, the educational literature for the new $20s had been in circulation for over a year. Remember, every bank teller and cashier in the US needed to be alerted so they would accept the bills. Also the public. There were brochures, adverts, even downloadable guides to the new security features."

The high quality counterfeit notes were of the 'new' design, incorporating all of the anti-counterfeiting elements of the new, but not-yet-released official $20 notes. I guess I should have explained that chronological detail in my earlier post.

Another scary aspect of those counterfeit notes was that the Secret Service agent said they were produced in Israel, our friend and ally.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

Do you think the North Korean government may have covertly hacked the BEP’s suppliers like Crane for the technical specs on paper, ink, engraving material, etc.? This might explain the high level of cloning.

I would think that reverse engineering form sample notes, at best, would only give mediocre results. The intricate methodology of note production is not readily discernable by finish product observation and analysis.

The distributed literature on detection may show the various devices but it does not elucidate the chemical or mechanical intricacies on how to create these features and embed them into the printing process of currency.

unus multorum
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, "super note" = counterfeit?? Why not just say so? :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    So, "super note" = counterfeit?? Why not just say so? :D

maybe they are better than the originals, making them 'super'

some are saying North Korea is source of super notes along with internet crime such as WannaCry virus extortion

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrHalfDime said:
    "That explains WHEN they were discovered, but not HOW!"

Actually, it does explain how, as BStrauss3 states above:

"By 1 week before introduction, the educational literature for the new $20s had been in circulation for over a year. Remember, every bank teller and cashier in the US needed to be alerted so they would accept the bills. Also the public. There were brochures, adverts, even downloadable guides to the new security features."

The high quality counterfeit notes were of the 'new' design, incorporating all of the anti-counterfeiting elements of the new, but not-yet-released official $20 notes. I guess I should have explained that chronological detail in my earlier post.

Another scary aspect of those counterfeit notes was that the Secret Service agent said they were produced in Israel, our friend and ally.

Where they were manufactured has no bearing on anything Governmental. Who manufactured them is the question. I rather doubt the Israeli Government was behind it.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman
    @davewesen

AFAIK, the US Treasury refers to all "extremely deceptive counterfeit currency" as "SUPER NOTES." Everyone (?) knows that means "Counterfeit."

It is similar to the way that many authenticators refer to the very deceptive counterfeits that are certified as genuine and slabbed as "state-of-the-art" but they add the word "counterfeit" because "SUPER COIN" was already used for highly regarded genuine specimens. :wink:

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why counterfeit an obsolete design?

There are very few of this design still in circulation. Any quantity showing up would be greatly scrutinized.

This story doesn't add up, to say the least.

Series 2009 and 2013 notes are the now current design.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:

There are very few of this design still in circulation. Any quantity showing up would be greatly scrutinized.

Not obsolete. Still legal tender, still in circulation world-wide.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:

Open the link the OP provided. The "Super Notes" are of the newest design.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most $100's of all generations are offshore, and we've never repudiated any, so you could counterfeit any and make money. I believe that it's also still true that all of the presses used by counterfeiters for supernotes have been traced back to us...yep we sold them over the years. Same with minting equipment and die steel.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

it never ceases

• vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

That's frightening. Thanks for sharing.

The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2017 6:18PM

No, these are not our current designs. They are series 2006. I'll insert a pic of a 2006 note and a current note and you'll see quite a difference. More than 99% of the $100s in circulation are now the newer design.

And no, it makes no sense to counterfeit obsolete designs. Even though they are still legal tender, they are impossible to pass in ANY quantity without raising major suspicion and therefore something that nobody with half a brain would counterfeit.

And the printing presses are the least difficult to obtain component in making good counterfeits, provided you have some money. Paper with convincing security features and plates are much harder to duplicate.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you are correct about circulation, but at least 70% of all the $100's ever printed are offshore. They mostly don't circulate, they are the "mattress" currency of the world. The official position is that we do not know where they are, but they aren't here in the US.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sister inherited a teapot stuffed with 8 1977 $100 bills my dad had once stashed.. older stuff is still out there.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, and it'll go on and on....... !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does our government care at the rate they are spending / destroying the dollar anyway?

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2017 7:48PM

I think what is missing from your equation is the amount of US currency that is used overseas. It's certainly not 99% of the new stuff!

I lived in Russia around 5 months out of 1 year(2003-04) and while they loved US currency more than there own...it had better be crisp if you wanted to use it!

@sellitstore said:
    No, these are not our current designs. They are series 2006. I'll insert a pic of a 2006 note and a current note and you'll see quite a difference. More than 99% of the $100s in circulation are now the newer design.

And no, it makes no sense to counterfeit obsolete designs. Even though they are still legal tender, they are impossible to pass in ANY quantity without raising major suspicion and therefore something that nobody with half a brain would counterfeit.

And the printing presses are the least difficult to obtain component in making good counterfeits, provided you have some money. Paper with convincing security features and plates are much harder to duplicate.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file