Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1772 Spanish Colonial 8 real coin!!! Help?

Any idea what it’s worth or if it’s real? All I can tell from it is that it’s Mexico by the mint mark.
https://postimg.org/gallery/1trw2zg6e/802e5b75/

Good deals with KollectorKing, ChrisRx, Tookybandit, LukeMarshall, and Ajaan! On cointalk, Histman, Sakata, Blisskr, and a few others!

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2017 4:40PM

While these coins often come with lumps all over them, and I cannot magnify the reverse enough to take a good look I'd be suspicious of any coin I was trying to examine that was linked to a "pick-up" site.

Furthermore, If you need to ask the value, I'd suggest that you pass on this coin and become more informed on the series before buying raw coins offered on the internet.

Gun to my head, I lean possibly OK and the seller knows to post an image of the edge. This series is counterfeited. This piece does not have the appearance of a modern fake. Sorry, I was of no help but I tried.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2017 4:03PM
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2017 6:30PM

Looks like a vf35-xf40 example, but as mentioned before there are a lot of other factors to consider with these. Design elements, dentils and the edge overlap on the last image are all good indications, but would be nice to know the weight and specific gravity. The uniform black color and all that reverse die chatter could go either way.

If authentic, it's about a $150 coin.

• Options
    dm679864dm679864 Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited December 29, 2017 1:44PM

Weight is 26 grams and diameter is 40 mm

Good deals with KollectorKing, ChrisRx, Tookybandit, LukeMarshall, and Ajaan! On cointalk, Histman, Sakata, Blisskr, and a few others!

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should try to get a more precise weight because 26.0 gm would be too low to be genuine.