Options

How bad 60/40 can really look

ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 24, 2017 7:23PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Talk about taking it to the limit.

Comments

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Looks more 55/45 to me if you are talking about l/r.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2017 3:05PM

@PaulMaul said:
    This card looks fine to me...still don't get the centering obsession....

Same. I've got a 60/40 Lawrence Taylor PSA 9 rookie, that I wouldn't trade for a 50/50 version. The corners, edges, perfect surface registration and print render a 50/50 PSA 9 version null and void for me.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

For a PSA 10, that card isn’t fine. If I subbed that, it gets a 9 every time. As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t submit a card hoping for a 10 with that centering.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2018 2:06PM

@Gemyanks10 said:
    For a PSA 10, that card isn’t fine. If I subbed that, it gets a 9 every time. As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t submit a card hoping for a 10 with that centering.

In what sense isn't it fine? It appears to be within the required centering range for a PSA 10. Is it as appealing as a perfectly centered PSA 10? No. Not every card of a given grade is equally desirable.

I have submitted many 10s with similar centering. Here is an example:

• Options

Yeah, right or wrong, I wouldn't even think to submit the Smoltz with that centering.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Yeah, right or wrong, I wouldn't even think to submit the Smoltz with that centering.

Arthur

To assess this statement, we need to understand your motives. If you mean you wouldn't want the card even if it graded a 10 because you are a centering snob, then I understand why you wouldn't submit it. Otherwise, since it meets all criteria for a PSA 10, I'm not sure why you wouldn't think to submit it.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

You make it sound like caring or thinking centering is important is a bad thing...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

@PaulMaul said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

To assess this statement, we need to understand your motives. If you mean you wouldn't want the card even if it graded a 10 because you are a centering snob, then I understand why you wouldn't submit it. Otherwise, since it meets all criteria for a PSA 10, I'm not sure why you wouldn't think to submit it.

I think the statement is more a reflection of my ignorance when it comes to PSA's standards. I would see that centering and think it doesn't have a chance. But your point also rings true a bit. I only really submit for my personal collection and if I had that in a PSA 10 slab I would be looking to sell it and find a better centered example. Not because I think centering is the only thing that matters, just that I prefer cards that look well centered, among other standards. But my standards also change depending on each issue. For instance, with '88 Fleer, left/right centering is much more important to me than top/bottom centering. If this card were perfect L/R but centered like it is above T/B I doubt I would have even noticed it.

Arthur

• Options

@Gemyanks10 said:
    You make it sound like caring or thinking centering is important is a bad thing...

Not at all. It doesn't happen to be as important to me as it is to you, but all that is really irrelevant. We need to distinguish between someone preferring really well-centered cards (which is obviously their right as a collector) and repeatedly asserting that cards that are not as well-centered are undeserving of a grade they received, even when they clearly meet all the criteria for that grade.

In other words, I'm fine with you saying things like "I prefer my 10s to have better centering." But it bothers me when you or others imply that a PSA 10 with 55-45 centering is misgraded when it clearly is not.

• Options

At no point did I suggest the 10 shouldn't be a 10. In fact, the title of the thread implies that the card does qualify for a 10. It was more of a "this is an example of how centering can fluctuate within PSA 10 standards."

Arthur

• Options

That's the way I interpreted Gemyanks' comment.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2017 12:10PM

Not all examples within the grade are created equal. I've passed on lower end 9s in favor of higher end 8s while working on my 1975 mini set.

I also think eye appeal also varies depending on the beholder (no pun intended :) )

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    rhilbelirhilbeli Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Would really like this card in a 10, but not THIS card in a 10

My Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame Registry Set

"The Packers are kinda like your kids. You dont love them because they are good, you love them because they are yours"
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the way that card sits in the holder makes it look worse than it is. It appears to not meet centering requirements to the naked eye.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Perhaps the way that card sits in the holder makes it look worse than it is. It appears to not meet centering requirements to the naked eye.

That card was also graded many years ago. In my experience, PSA has gotten tougher on centering over the years.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

The Knafelc appears around 65/35, no way it should be a 10. Kind of like the '72 Bench 9 that's been making the rounds, something is wrong, or the centering requirements have changed a lot over the years.

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

If the Smoltz was white border only it would look great to my eyes. I think the blue and red lines make it appear to have worse centering. As always buy what appeals to you!

• Options

a 10 is a 10.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

If the 1st thing you notice about a card is a negative, then it should not be a ten. But that is just my opinion.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

I would never buy that Smoltz. If I am going to buy a 10 it better look like a 10 and not an 8oc.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

I send a diamond canted card like that in its a 9 or 8 every day of the year.

Slabs not making me feel good either. Reminds me of a home version.My spider sense goes off if I view the pic shown. I'd avoid the item on the pic alone. My own opinion of course.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    Looks more 55/45 to me if you are talking about l/r.

My first thought exactly. To truly be 60/40, you have to have 50% more border on one side than the other. That's quite a bit. It's the same as saying three units on one side and 2 units on the other. That's quite a difference.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2020 10:27PM

I would rather have a card with nice corners and edges over centering. Never understood the obsession.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its funny how things change. way back when, as a young collector, razor sharp corners were where it was at. Maybe its just the law of primacy, but I still value corners above all.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Its funny how things change. way back when, as a young collector, razor sharp corners were where it was at. Maybe its just the law of primacy, but I still value corners above all.

The only thing that's changes is that cards are now being judged on how well they are centered_ along with_ corners,edges, surface, focus etc. Way back in the 1960's(?) as long as a card had a border all the way around, it was considered fine. Obviously this has changed.

I am a person who likes well centered cards. That DOES NOT mean I am ok with bad corners, stains, creases or any other defects.

I never understood the people who made comments like "all you care about is centering" that's like me saying you would like a card that was miscut as long as it had perfect corners.

When I tried to sell some cards to a LCS when I started my PC back in the 1980's the guy behind the corner took every aspect of the card into consideration before refusing to buy my cards. I figured if the guy didn't want any defects (including centering), I would adopt the same attitude.

Personally, I will buy a card centered a little high as long as it's 50-50 side to side.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

The only thing that's changes is that cards are now being judged on how well they are centered_ along with_ corners,edges, surface, focus etc. Way back in the 1960's(?) as long as a card had a border all the way around, it was considered fine. Obviously this has changed.

I am a person who likes well centered cards. That DOES NOT mean I am ok with bad corners, stains, creases or any other defects.

I never understood the people who made comments like "all you care about is centering" that's like me saying you would like a card that was miscut as long as it had perfect corners.

When I tried to sell some cards to a LCS when I started my PC back in the 1980's the guy behind the corner took every aspect of the card into consideration before refusing to buy my cards. I figured if the guy didn't want any defects (including centering), I would adopt the same attitude.

Personally, I will buy a card centered a little high as long as it's 50-50 side to side.

I agree that in a perfect world, one where I have an unlimited card budget, I would probably value all aspects of a card the same. However, there are many times when I cannot afford a 10, 9 etc and have to settle just to include a particular card in my collection. In those circumstances, the first thing I tend to look at are the corners, edges, then centering and surface.

No wrong way to collect. That is just my preference.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did anybody else notice that this is a 3 year old thread that got bumped? Lol. The first post of 2020 seemed to come out of nowhere.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, noticed.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Did anybody else notice that this is a 3 year old thread that got bumped? Lol. The first post of 2020 seemed to come out of nowhere.

Ha, yeah I was reading the posts, knew they were old and the. Saw someone revived it to say a 10 is a 10. I am like.. what...why....???

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

I did not notice.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

funny, i didnt even notice it was a 3 year old thread.

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:

@DBesse27 said:

Ha, yeah I was reading the posts, knew they were old and the. Saw someone revived it to say a 10 is a 10. I am like.. what...why....???

CU forum hit and run or old fashioned flicking all CU forum members a booger!

• Options

60/40 allowance and im pretty sure the card had no other surface issues .

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 1:38PM

@Leonidas1994 said:

speaking of solid bumps, technically it is a 10. and technically he is a spartan w 60/40 centering too. but you didn't want him, my humble king:

😉

• Options

A- vs A+ both A's

• Options

Run along and Tell Xerxes there are true 10's here

• Options

90 is not 100.

if you think they are, whenever you need change for a $100, i'm here.

they're both cash.

• Options

@Leonidas1994 said:
    Run along and Tell Xerxes there are true 10's here

we are about to fight in the shade. you will make great mortar for my wall.

• Options

PSA has spoken silence yourself mortal!!

• Options

@Leonidas1994 said:
    PSA has spoken silence yourself mortal!!

and king leonidas skipped all the way home after the intense battle and lived happily ever aft...oh wait.

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Ok, I get it. Three’s a crowd!

• Options

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

I agree that in a perfect world, one where I have an unlimited card budget, I would probably value all aspects of a card the same. However, there are many times when I cannot afford a 10, 9 etc and have to settle just to include a particular card in my collection. In those circumstances, the first thing I tend to look at are the corners, edges, then centering and surface.

No wrong way to collect. That is just my preference.

I certainly didn't have an unlimited card budget.

Perfect corners are nice, as I said, for me a card can be a bit off centered. A card can also have an imperfect corner, if it's barely noticeable.

I like your way of looking at cards, for me it's the same, but if it's "too far" OC, I pass.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2020 6:21AM

We all have our own ranking list on what we prefer. I go.. Centering, corners, edges, surface.. Heck, in most of the poor pictures in listings, centering is about all you can determine and sometimes that is tough. Countless times I have to request additional images just to make sure that the large mark on the card is just a shadow or a reflection of some type... Or the white speck is just dirt on the case that can be wiped off and not on the card. Having cards in hand to inspect is so much easier.... But I am with @JoeBanzai if it doesn't pass the centering test I move on.. Case by case obviously... Low, never find again pops, I can be a bit more forgiving...

• Options

@NGS428 said:
    We all have our own ranking list on what we prefer. I go.. Centering, corners, edges, surface.. Heck, in most of the poor pictures in listings, centering is about all you can determine and sometimes that is tough. Countless times I have to request additional images just to make sure that the large mark on the card is just a shadow or a reflection of some type... Or the white speck is just dirt on the case that can be wiped off and not on the card. Having cards in hand to inspect is so much easier.... But I am with @JoeBanzai if it doesn't pass the centering test I move on.. Case by case obviously... Low, never find again pops, I can be a bit more forgiving...

Absolutely agree on the harder to find or "really need but very expensive" cards. ;-)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

For myself I prefer as well centered as possible. Especially if the rest of the card,corners/edges, are rough. The centering puts the focus more towards the inner card, focal point, and the view of the outer card is somewhat lessened. One step further on preference. I'd rather have 4 even rounded corners than 1 or 2 sharp ones with 2 or 3 trashed ones or some combination of those. Must be a continuity thing.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

a 10 is a 10

• Options

agreed!

• Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@Leonidas1994 said:

speaking of solid bumps, technically it is a 10. and technically he is a spartan w 60/40 centering too. but you didn't want him, my humble king:

😉

I’m in tears! 😂

• Options

that's a spartan but he's more of a 4 . HE or I should say "it" clearly exhibits wear and less than perfect edges.