Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Looks like a huge HOF Class coming up with 2018 Vote

2»

Comments

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2018 6:34PM

Mr Hoffman, I have prepared a press release for you. Feel free to claim it as your own.

Dear HOF committee, Even though he wasn't even eligible, Please postpone my induction until 2020 due to the fact that there is no way in the world I should go into the HOF before Mariano Rivera. Sincerely, Trevor Hoffman

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

@bobsbbcards said:
    Can someone list which rookie cards will be used for these four in the Post (cough) WW-II HOF Rookie Set? Thanks in advance! :smile:

1991 Bowman for Chipper and Thome, 1992 Bowman for Hoffman and 1995 Bowman's Best for Vlad. Then again, PSA may decide to pick cards from 2005 for each player since they don't seem to know what a rookie card is any more.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sdub said:
    I say this with peace and love, but this HOF class may be the worst in the history of Hall elections.

You might wanna look at some recent years like, say, 2010.

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

Bill Mazeroski had some splendid moments in the game at 2nd base but not a HOF'er remotely. And MAZ is in the HOF.....Look at Jeff Kents offensive stats and he blows away Maz. Maz was better defensively but Kent held his own and rates at the norm for 2nd baseman defensively. Their offensive resumes are strikingly different.
    ** Maz. stats**: .260 career B.A. 2,016 hits, 138 Hr's 853 RbI's Career OBP .299, SLG .367 OPS** .667.....
    **..Kent stats
    : .290 Career B.A. 2461 hits, 377HR's, 1518 RBI's Career OBP: .356 SLG .500 OPS .856 ....
    Maz got in with the veterans committee vote I believe ...but he his still in. Kent needs to go in as well. Kent was also an MVP ..Maz never.... HOF is loaded with problems ...if they wanted to stop Bonds and Clemens and I certainly see why...they needed to kick tires on Piazza, Bagwell and Pudge cuz once they got in ...it dirtied the waters beyond repair. PED's just made such a big difference in performance ...much more so than amphetamines. It had to do with muscle repair and in the fact that Bonds in game 154 was as fresh and crisp as opening day....

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

I hate to sound cynical, and I have nothing against the guy at all, but with all due respect, I just cant get my arms around Trevor Hoffman getting in. I enjoyed watching him enter games to Hells Bells as much as anyone, but other than that I just cant see why his 9.4Ks/9, 2.76 ERA, and 1.05 WHIP are in before a guy like Billy Wagner and his 2.31 ERA, 11.9 K/9, and 0.99 WHIP. Was Hoffman better than, say, Andrew Miller? Was he ever more valuable to his team? I would say absolutely no to both.

There are probably about 20 relief pitchers who played in my lifetime that Id rather give the ball to with a game on the line than Trevor Hoffman. The AC/DC thing was cool though.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    edited January 25, 2018 7:12AM

@JKT ...I can see why ...Hoffman had the best changeup of any reliever..... thats NOT a sexy pitch but certainly effective....He did it a long while....I don't see his RC going through the roof kinda b/c he didn't amaze like you are referencing the way a Wagner, Mariano or Eckersly did.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chipper's career stats are slam dunk HOFer in any year.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

You cannot compare offensive stats compiled during Mazeroski"s era with stats compiled during Kent's era. I'm not saying Max is a slugger or deserves to be in the HOF, but offensive stats were far easier to compile in the 2000s vs the 1950s and 1960s.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bens4778bens4778 Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2018 7:37AM

Did someone earlier really say that Pedro's stats fell short of the Hall, while Glavine deserved to be in?

Wow dude. I think Glavine deserves to be in, too, but Pedro was twice the pitcher Glavine was. He was probably the best pitcher overall from 1990-2010, him or Maddux.

Also, Thome over Sheffield, by a large margin. Ouch.

Sheffield finished in the top 10 of MVP voting more times than Thome made the AS Team. Plus, we all know who you'd rather have at bat off a top closer in the bottom of the 9th.

Stuff like that makes it clear that the HOF is partly a popularity contest; more than it should be.

• Options

@bens4778 ...Sheffield was tainted with PED glue....so his popularity was tarnished .. but he was a pretty damn good player.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sure looks like Edgar will get in next year.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Chipper Jones was predicted to be a 1st ballot HOFer. His rookie cards may have received a bump in value, but I think they will settle in value in the long term. Even when he retired, people knew he would be voted in and his card prices already factored that in. If a guy like Dale Murphy, Steve Garvey, or Don Mattingly get voted in, that is when I think some serious spikes in prices can be seen and the card would higher in value than it was ever before. Though the prices may settle a little bit, it would still maintain a healthy gain from before the induction. At least I think it would be this way.

For example, a 1992 Bowman Mariano Rivera in PSA is going for $300 now. Everyone expects him to be elected, so that must already be factored in the price. I am sure there will be some upswing in prices when it becomes official that he is a HOFer, but the prices could easily revert back to $300 or lower as more cards get graded and the collector's who needed him for their collection already obtained a copy.

I think there is more upswing potential in Don Mattingly, David Cone, Fred McGriff, or Dale Murphy (at least one of those four should make it in someday). Once they do, then people will have to buy their rookie card to complete their Post-WWII Rookie HOF Set. Another factor to consider with Mattingly is that he is still in the public eye. He is managing the Marlins and continues to be quite popular with the fans. People still see him around. Five years down the line, it is feasible for a young Marlin team to reach maturity and compete in the playoffs. Mattingly would get exposure once again.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee