Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Looks like a huge HOF Class coming up with 2018 Vote

Looks like Vlad Guerrero, Chipper Jones and Jim Thome for sure

Possibly Trevor Hoffmann and Edgar Martinez this year as well (it will be razor thin close either way) I believe they changed the rules so that you can only be on the ballot for 10 years instead of 15 so this is about it for Martinez and Fred McGriff.

Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Mike Mussina, Curt Schilling will be close and likely in the queue for the near future. Surprising with Clemens and Bonds there but I think the mood may have softened with the inclusion of suspected users like Piazza and Bagwell.

bit.ly/hof18

HOF tracker is fun for those who may be unaware, guy monitors ballots revealed to him, fairly easy to extrapolate results based on large sample size he gets

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
saucywombat@hotmail.com

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

Chipper, Vlad, Thome and Hoffman are definite. It could go either way for Edgar, who’s on the ballot for the 9th time. If he doesn’t make it this year, he’ll be a shoo in next vote. Bonds and Clemens will get closer, but fall short.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind that voting percentages tend to decrease a bit as the later ballots come in. I'd say that Hoffman is borderline with Thome, Jones and Vlad being definites.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say thome,jones, vlad are the only ones that should be in this year. I do not think that Hoffman should be in until rivera is voted in.

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

I guess they'll let anyone into the HOF nowadays. I don't think any of the people you mention here are deserving.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Amazing how similar Chipper is in batting stats to Gary Sheffield. Chipper's a first ballot shoe in, and Sheffield's never received more than 13%.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Chipper and Thome are locks. Vlad will probably get in too.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DavidPuddy said:
    Amazing how similar Chipper is in batting stats to Gary Sheffield. Chipper's a first ballot shoe in, and Sheffield's never received more than 13%.

I believe he suffered from the innuendo of PED's by many.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@DavidPuddy said:

I believe he suffered from the innuendo of PED's by many.

Exactly.
    Pudge, Bagwell, and Piazza had similar PED innuendos but they all seemed to float right in.
    The inconsistency being shown by the voters is mind blowing.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2017 8:03PM

Anyone think they should create a “hall of very good” wing somewhere in Cooperstown due to the Hall getting completely watered down? Just food for thought...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gary Sheffield was one of my favorite hitters to watch in his prime, waving that bat menacingly, and swinging so violently...

But to gloss over his lack of Hall of Fame support compared to Chipper, Bagwell, Piazza, and Rodriquez as attributable to only the PED suspicions, is conveniently forgetting his reputation as a guy who didn't put forth his best efforts on the field, both at shortstop and third base in Milwaukee to force a trade, was accused of loafing at other times in his career, as well, which likely contributed to his atrocious outfield defense, his very public spat with Joe Torre, and his confrontational nature towards reporters, etc., etc., which all adds up and isn't easily forgotten by the voters...and of course, besides the PED suspicions, there's the OTHER elephant in the room...

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    Gary Sheffield was one of my favorite hitters to watch in his prime, waving that bat menacingly, and swinging so violently...

But to gloss over his lack of Hall of Fame support compared to Chipper, Bagwell, Piazza, and Rodriquez as attributable to only the PED suspicions, is conveniently forgetting his reputation as a guy who didn't put forth his best efforts on the field, both at shortstop and third base in Milwaukee to force a trade, was accused of loafing at other times in his career, as well, which likely contributed to his atrocious outfield defense, his very public spat with Joe Torre, and his confrontational nature towards reporters, etc., etc., which all adds up and isn't easily forgotten by the voters...and of course, besides the PED suspicions, there's the OTHER elephant in the room...

Sheffield admitted to taking the "clear" that Bonds was taking but denied it was steroids because he thought steroids were only injected with a needle. Just another moron who claims he didn't know what he was putting into his body.
    Sadly future HOF candidates will have Trammell and Morris as the measuring stick to get in and will water down the HOF to the point that people will just not care anymore who gets in.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Put Murphy, Garvey, and Parker in the hall already

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is way too many people in the Hall. You should have to be incredibly great at your craft in order to get in. Starting with the 1973 topps set, the players who should be in (stats only)

1) Mike Schmidt
    2) Dave Winfield
    3) George Brett
    4) Robin Yount
    5) Gary Carter
    6) Eddie Murray
    7) Paul Molitor
    8) Ozzie Smith
    9) Cal Ripken
    10) Tony Gwynn
    11) Ryne Sandberg
    12) Wade Boggs
    13) Roger Clemens
    14) Mark McGwire
    15) Fred McGriff
    16) Barry Bonds
    17) Craig Biggio
    18) Ken Griffey Jr.
    19) Randy Johnson
    20) Gary Sheffield
    21) Frank Thomas
    22) Sammy Sosa
    23) Greg Maddux
    24) Tom Glavine
    25) Chipper Jones
    26) Vlad Guerrero
    27) Ivan Rodriguez
    28) Jim Thome
    29) Alex Rodriguez
    30) Derek Jeter
    31) Manny Ramirez
    32) Adrian Beltre
    33) Ichiro Suzuki
    34) Albert Pujols
    35) Miguel Cabrera

This takes us from 1973 through 2001. I probably missed a big one somewhere, but Rice, Dawson, MAttingly, Smoltz, PEdro, Bagwell, Gossage, Eckersley, Raines, etc. Were all great players, but probably a step or two behind this list. ANd YES MCgriff was better than ones in the sentence before.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

@olb31 said:
    There is way too many people in the Hall. You should have to be incredibly great at your craft in order to get in. Starting with the 1973 topps set, the players who should be in (stats only)

1) Mike Schmidt
    2) Dave Winfield
    3) George Brett
    4) Robin Yount
    5) Gary Carter
    6) Eddie Murray
    7) Paul Molitor
    8) Ozzie Smith
    9) Cal Ripken
    10) Tony Gwynn
    11) Ryne Sandberg
    12) Wade Boggs
    13) Roger Clemens
    14) Mark McGwire
    15) Fred McGriff
    16) Barry Bonds
    17) Craig Biggio
    18) Ken Griffey Jr.
    19) Randy Johnson
    20) Gary Sheffield
    21) Frank Thomas
    22) Sammy Sosa
    23) Greg Maddux
    24) Tom Glavine
    25) Chipper Jones
    26) Vlad Guerrero
    27) Ivan Rodriguez
    28) Jim Thome
    29) Alex Rodriguez
    30) Derek Jeter
    31) Manny Ramirez
    32) Adrian Beltre
    33) Ichiro Suzuki
    34) Albert Pujols
    35) Miguel Cabrera

This takes us from 1973 through 2001. I probably missed a big one somewhere, but Rice, Dawson, MAttingly, Smoltz, PEdro, Bagwell, Gossage, Eckersley, Raines, etc. Were all great players, but probably a step or two behind this list. ANd YES MCgriff was better than ones in the sentence before.

You leave Rickey Henderson off the list in favor of Ichiro? Come on, now..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Pedro belongs on your list. Sorry.
    Good catch with Henderson. That is a big miss.
    Dwight Evans too.

• Options

Glad to see Adrian Beltre. His 93.9 WAR only trails Mike Schmidt and Eddie Mathews at 3rd base. Amazing stat and he may still have couple solid years left.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beltre's a first ballot guy whenever he hangs it up barring something.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

I can't take any list with Sammy Sosa on it very seriously.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@olb31 said:

1) Mike Schmidt
    2) Dave Winfield
    3) George Brett
    4) Robin Yount
    5) Gary Carter
    6) Eddie Murray
    7) Paul Molitor
    8) Ozzie Smith
    9) Cal Ripken
    10) Tony Gwynn
    11) Ryne Sandberg
    12) Wade Boggs
    13) Roger Clemens
    14) Mark McGwire
    15) Fred McGriff
    16) Barry Bonds
    17) Craig Biggio
    18) Ken Griffey Jr.
    19) Randy Johnson
    20) Gary Sheffield
    21) Frank Thomas
    22) Sammy Sosa
    23) Greg Maddux
    24) Tom Glavine
    25) Chipper Jones
    26) Vlad Guerrero
    27) Ivan Rodriguez
    28) Jim Thome
    29) Alex Rodriguez
    30) Derek Jeter
    31) Manny Ramirez
    32) Adrian Beltre
    33) Ichiro Suzuki
    34) Albert Pujols
    35) Miguel Cabrera

You leave Rickey Henderson off the list in favor of Ichiro? Come on, now..

Where's Lou Whitaker?!?!?

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

I believe Lou Whitaker has the highest career WAR of anyone not in the HOF. His career WAR is higher than Alan Trammell and Jack Morris.

Like a lot of guys not in the HOF apparently Whitaker was not in fact "Sweet" and did not get along with the press.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

Like Jack Morris and Alan Trammell, Lou Whitaker was a very good, but not great, player. The HOF just got watered down even more with those first 2 Tigers getting in. We don't need that trend to continue.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@saucywombat said:
    I believe Lou Whitaker has the highest career WAR of anyone not in the HOF. His career WAR is higher than Alan Trammell and Jack Morris.

Like a lot of guys not in the HOF apparently Whitaker was not in fact "Sweet" and did not get along with the press.

All references to Whitaker getting in are tongue-in-cheek, after the last thread on the subject. I wouldn't be a proponent of Whitaker, but that's just my opinion. There are others with WAR above his who have not been elected:

Bonds 162.4
    Clemens 140.3
    A-Roid 117.7
    Pujols 99.4
    Beltre 93.9
    Chipper 85.0
    Mussina 83.0
    Schilling 79.9
    Pete Rose 79.1
    Jim McCormick 75.8
    Bill Dahlen 75.2
    Lou Whitaker 74.9

I don't know that WAR should be a universal indicator of hall-worthiness. I don't know that anyone would say Rick Reuschel (WAR = 70.0) is more deserving of Smoltz (69.5) Palmer (69.4) Raines (69.1) or going waaaay down the list, WIllie McCovey (64.4), Juan Marichal (63.1) Yogi Berra (59.5) Willie Stargell (57.5) Sandy Koufax (49.0), just to name a few.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Bonds and Clemens are showing nicely in the voting again. I have been predicting a 2020 induction but they are actually gaining enough I think next year might be in play especially if Thome and Vlad make it in this year.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trevor Hoffman is at 78% of the vote. Meanwhile, Billy Wagner, who was not just better but A LOT better, than Hoffman, is sitting at 9.4%. In 15 seasons (not counting his debut season of 1/3 of an inning), Wagner had exactly one season with an ERA above 3.00. Hoffman had 7 - and another of 2.99. Wagner averaged 11.9 K/9 while Hoffman averaged 9.4. Career ERA+ - 187 vs 141. The only advantage Hoffman has is in saves - a worthless stat.

Voters are dumb.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    Trevor Hoffman is at 78% of the vote. Meanwhile, Billy Wagner, who was not just better but A LOT better, than Hoffman, is sitting at 9.4%. In 15 seasons (not counting his debut season of 1/3 of an inning), Wagner had exactly one season with an ERA above 3.00. Hoffman had 7 - and another of 2.99. Wagner averaged 11.9 K/9 while Hoffman averaged 9.4. Career ERA+ - 187 vs 141. The only advantage Hoffman has is in saves - a worthless stat.

Voters are dumb.

I'm totally with you. Wagner deserves a lot more love than he's currently getting from the voters.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2018 2:49PM

@rtimmer said:
    Bonds and Clemens are showing nicely in the voting again. I have been predicting a 2020 induction but they are actually gaining enough I think next year might be in play especially if Thome and Vlad make it in this year.

Neither Bonds or Clemens have gained any votes from 2017 with the ballots cast thus far from returning voters. Where they are picking up support is from new voters, with all 9 new voters voting for Clemens and 8 of 9 voting for Bonds. This seems consistent with the notion that the new voters are less likely to hold PED use against these players.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Keep in mind that voting percentages tend to decrease a bit as the later ballots come in. I'd say that Hoffman is borderline with Thome, Jones and Vlad being definites.

Agree. The private voters have been more conservative than the public ones.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edgar's surprisingly strong. I'd still put him as borderline being elected this year, but he's looking like a much better shot than Hoffman right now.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

1) Mike Schmidt
    2) Dave Winfield
    3) George Brett
    4) Robin Yount
    5) Gary Carter
    6) Eddie Murray
    7) Paul Molitor
    8) Ozzie Smith
    9) Cal Ripken
    10) Tony Gwynn
    11) Ryne Sandberg
    12) Wade Boggs
    13) Roger Clemens
    14) Mark McGwire
    15) Fred McGriff
    16) Barry Bonds
    17) Craig Biggio
    18) Ken Griffey Jr.
    19) Randy Johnson
    20) Gary Sheffield
    21) Frank Thomas
    22) Sammy Sosa
    23) Greg Maddux
    24) Tom Glavine
    25) Chipper Jones
    26) Vlad Guerrero
    27) Ivan Rodriguez
    28) Jim Thome
    29) Alex Rodriguez
    30) Derek Jeter
    31) Manny Ramirez
    32) Adrian Beltre
    33) Ichiro Suzuki
    34) Albert Pujols
    35) Miguel Cabrera

You missed the most important one of them all

• Options

@grote15 said:

@rtimmer said:

Neither Bonds or Clemens have gained any votes from 2017 with the ballots cast thus far from returning voters. Where they are picking up support is from new voters, with all 9 new voters voting for Clemens and 8 of 9 voting for Bonds. This seems consistent with the notion that the new voters are less likely to hold PED use against these players.

Yeah they both need about 90 votes or 30 a year to make my 2020 prediction. I figure new voters are good for 15 votes so we need 15 votes from the returners. Of course they have 2 more years of cushion to make it in after my prediction so as long as they keep picking up new voters I still see them both as a lock to eventually make it.

Glad they won't make it this year though still working on my collection!

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Curious as to what everyone thinks on Jim Thome and what you think his 1991 Bowman’s will see as far as a bump in value on the 10’s and even 9’s. It seems his 10’s have moved up over the last 12 months or so

• Options

Getting late -

Looking like Chipper, Thome, Vlad Guerrero, Edgar Martinez and Trevor Hoffman. 5 voted in + Morris & Trammell makes for an unprecedented day in Cooperstown.

Mike Mussina will just miss it seems.

So 7 living players being inducted in one year.

saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Would not bet on Martinez or Hoffman. Especially Edgar.

• Options
    edited January 18, 2018 5:16PM

@markj111 said:
    Would not bet on Martinez or Hoffman. Especially Edgar.

+1

Early voters historically vote for a higher number of players than those who vote later on. Keep in mind, too, that fewer than half the ballots have been cast.

• Options

I'll take bets from anyone who doesn't think Hoffman is getting in this year. Any takers? :)

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2018 9:34PM

I'd vote for Bonds, Clemens, Arod, and Rose. My reasons? If you were a player in that era and didn't take steroids, then were you REALLY giving your team the best chance to win? I'd be lacing my steroids with uppers in an effort to hit one more dinger or leg out an extra base hit. Yup. Sign me up for that stuff.

Also, if you were a manager and DIDN'T bet on your team to win, doesn't that mean that you're doubting your ability to manage? "No thank you, bookie person. I don't want to risk my hard earned dollars betting on these yokels.....that I just happen to manage." The heck with that!

I might also vote for Curt Schilling because his name is very similar to "shilling" and we talk about that a lot here.

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    I'll take bets from anyone who doesn't think Hoffman is getting in this year. Any takers? :)

Sure why not. What would you like to bet?

• Options

@rtimmer said:

@shagrotn77 said:

A cool, crisp, 5 dollar bill.

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:

@rtimmer said:

@shagrotn77 said:

Sounds good best of luck to you and Trevor.

• Options

Looking like both Bonds and Clemens are losing steam as more ballots come in. Based on last year's figures and the early ballot percentage minus the final ballot percentages, both Bonds and Clemens are due to wind up exactly where they finished last year, in the mid 50s.

• Options

I just have to say, the guy who puts this tracker together each year does a great job. It’s a lot of fun to follow.

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Looking like both Bonds and Clemens are losing steam as more ballots come in. Based on last year's figures and the early ballot percentage minus the final ballot percentages, both Bonds and Clemens are due to wind up exactly where they finished last year, in the mid 50s.

Argh I was hoping for a 7% improvement this year. That's disappointing if it holds with the final voting. I was thinking with Piazza, Rodriquez, Thome and Selig doing so well in the voting recently it would make it easier for them both to make it in.

Oh well maybe some more time to pick up some of their cards. Reminds me I've got 20 or so Clemens racks this year I need to send into BBCE.

• Options

So Vlad, Chipper, Thome and Hoffman elected

saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

Can someone list which rookie cards will be used for these four in the Post (cough) WW-II HOF Rookie Set? Thanks in advance! :smile:

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

I say this with peace and love, but this HOF class may be the worst in the history of Hall elections.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Vlad, Chipper, Thome, Hoffman along with Morris and Trammell is the worst HOF class in election history, may the next 10 HOF classes keep that up :)

• Options

You just can't keep Bonds out now. No disrespect to the recent HOF electees.

• Options

so I agree with the common theme here ... lackluster

I admit I'm not a big fan of current sports,
    and only tune in as I would the weather report,
    but is there anything to look forward to in the future ???

is the tank dry-ish ?

will it get so bad, they HAVE to take in Rose & druggies at some point ?

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:

@rtimmer said:

@shagrotn77 said:

We'll looks like I was wrong on Hoffman and probably Bonds and Clemens too... Let me know your PayPal.

Congrats to Trevor on a great accomplishment! I hope 2019 is a 10% gain yr for Bonds and Clemens and I hope their cards remain cheap for me to pick up a few more.