Home Q & A Forum
Options

1974 Quarter - Reverse Side Cud

Hey all,
I've had this quarter for about ten years now and have always wanted to know it's value - as a unique piece and also it's possible $$$ value. There's a pretty significant cud (if I'm using the right word) that doesn't actually touch the rim...which gather is a little more unusual than one that does. So, basically, I'm wondering what caused this, how rare/common it was back then or is now....and maybe how much it could be worth to the right person. Then again, maybe I ought to simply hold onto it as a keepsake.
Thanks for any and all input and best holiday wishes!
Cheers,
Jamie

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin has been altered by heat after it was struck...not a mint error but a nice curiosity!

• Options

I'm super new to this, so tell me to shut it if I'm off base...but I don't understand why the reverse side has the raise, but there's no reciprocal indentation on the opposite by GW's nose or chin. It seems like there would be more deformity? How does this happen, any ideas?

• Options

Perhaps the trapped gas inside the coin was closer to the reverse side. I don't knw which side was in contact with the heat but that may be the reason. I've asked an error coin expert to look at your coin. Remember it is the holidays so you may need to wait until this coming week.

@FredWeinberg

• Options

Wow! Thanks for the feedback, Fred. I think I just completely ruined the coin though...I read you message and instantly thought it a good idea to bite the quarter...it deflated! So, as a young/naive coin collector...I should probably not be so impulsive, eh?

• Options
    edited December 23, 2017 8:54AM

I am not Fred. I don't have one-tenth of his knowledge. That is why I tagged (@) him for you. Congratulations on figuring out that your coin has been altered. I learned that some authenticators use a microscope (so no one can tell) to put pressure on a tiny part of the raised area or small bubble to see if it goes down. It is not a good idea to put coins in your mouth. Especially ones that are artificially toned. :)

• Options

Point taken.