Home U.S. Coin Forum

1940 S Wheat penny error updated photos

collectcurrency62collectcurrency62 Posts: 99 ✭✭
edited December 25, 2017 8:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello Gentalmen I'm mostly collect paper money but I ran across this 1940 s wheat back penny and just wondering on the left side wheatstalk error, the wheat stalk on the left side is longer then the right side, and how common is this error. Sincerely Chris /////////// Die break or die crack with connecting die chips. Was The evaluation from many members on this post. All evaluations we're deeply appreciated by me and my young members of my family thank you guys and Merry Christmas :)

Comments

• Thanks very much I really appreciate the reply

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice die break!

Cheers

Bob

• Thanks for letting me know gentleman that it's called a die break I really appreciate it sincerely Chris

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well now that you know it's a die break...I'd say it's also a nice clean cent.

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

And..die breaks on 1940 S cents are very - very common.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • I Just allowed my young children to use a loop to see if they can find the difference between this wheat cent, and other wheat back pennies. And thanks to you gentleman I was able to tell them that what they found was called a die break. Thanks for the much-needed education you guys are great!!! :)

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is the perfect example of what this place is all about.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2017 7:32AM

@collectcurrency62 ....Nice find... and welcome to the coin world... ;) That was cool to have the kids find the issue..... Cheers, RickO

• This is an amazing and educating form, great for the whole family. I'm so glad we stumbled upon it. :)

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the cleanest circulated Lincoln I've seen. Would grade MS69 if mintstate!

peacockcoins

• Thanks for the very kind comment, and I'm going to make sure that my young Sons keep it that way :)

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    And..die breaks on 1940 S cents are very - very common.

WS

Common enough that when I saw the thread title, I expected to see a picture of a die break through the wheat ears. Still a neat find “in the wild,” nice job to whomever spotted it.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Nice die break!!!!!

I LOVE old coins.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

While the die break is nice enough, the condition of the coin is totally cool for a circulated cent 77 years old. Congrats, hope your kids take interest in coins, as we need them. Merry Christmas.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Hi Rick Merry Christmas to you and your family. I showed the kids a video about the 1969 S double die. They found that fascinating I don't think they'll be throwing their coins in a jar without checking them out with a loop anymore. I just ordered them to 70th Edition of the official red book. And we'll take it from there.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree on the condition. Kind of amazing that it has just honest wear and no damage from the elements or coin rolling machines after all these years.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Now the kids call it there die break Lucky Penny. After reading some of your guys posts. That it's broken and pretty at the same Same time. Thanks Gentlemen, Merry Christmas to you and all your families. :):):)

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not a die break. This would require a portion of the die, including the rim, to fully break off from the die. It also would not qualify as a retained die break, based on those photos.

It is a die crack with connecting die chips.

• I'm going to try to take better photos tonight I appreciate your evaluation. Thanks sincerely Chris

• collectcurrency62collectcurrency62 Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited December 25, 2017 8:24AM

1940 S Wheat Penny error updated photo

Die break or die crack with connecting die chips. The evaluation from members on this post. All evaluations we're deeply appreciated by me and my young members of my family thank you guys and Merry Christmas :)

• Thanks

• new photo

• Thanks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file