Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1957 Topps Bob Cousy ROOKIE in PSA 8.5 NM-MT+

UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 22, 2017 8:13AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hello All -

I know many refer to a big pick up as a "white whale" but since I hunt more than I fish I will refer to this as a Boone & Crockett (B&C) >>----------> one for the books.

Fortunate to have been able to win this at auction a few months ago. I had it on "watch" at the time and could not help but look at it several times per day for a couple weeks until the auction closing approached. It just came back from PSA in a fresh new holder.

This is my first 1957 Topps Basketball card for my collection and I still keep my eye out for a nice Bill Russell.

A special card with practically no visible snow, incredible centering, impressive corners, beautiful borders, bold coloring, attractive/well-centered back and an iconic image of Bob Cousy that represents his legendary style and the vintage 50's era of basketball. An unbelievable 60 year old "freak of nature" card and feel very fortunate to add to my collection.

I just wanted to share and hope you enjoy. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and good luck in your pursuits of cardboard classics!!

Comments

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Very nice! Always enjoy seeing key pickup threads like this. Congrats!

BTW, if you got it reholdered, how did you transfer the PWCC "hi end" sticker? Heat gun?

• Options

Thanks CW! On this particular card, Brent/PWCC helped to send it in for PSA re-holdering so that it came back to them for Certified re-stickering.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don’t see that nice a looking Cousy every day. Wow! Monster pickup congrats.

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Great card, congrats! Although you will never find a nice Bill Russel but do keep your eyes out for a nice Bill Russell ;):) The 57 basketball set is one of my favorites--I like it so much I have 2-1/2 of them (all graded) including a couple on the registry (the #12 and #20 on the current finest list). My buddy just completed a set in all psa 8 and won the psa 8 Cousy in REA in October. Now that you've got one of the cornerstones of the set in high grade you should go for the set!!

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

That cheap bastard stiffed me when I caddied for him once. Plus his bag weighed like 90 pounds.

Arthur

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    That cheap bastard stiffed me when I caddied for him once. Plus his bag weighed like 90 pounds.

Arthur

So you and UFFDAH both got a monster pickup?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful card!

@ReggieCleveland said:

This sounds like a line from a deleted scene of Caddyshack.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Wow, some serious cardboard posted here. Some us us did not get the annual jelly of the month club bonus again. Beautiful Cousy, centered best I’ve ever seen, no snow, white borders, just wow.

I had an 8 about 10 years ago. Sold for partial down payment on car. 10 years later still have car, however no appreciation there. My Cooz was defenitly not a high end 8 so no total remorse. Sad to say I have not heard or seen Cooz lately on tv. No public appearances that I remember. He and Heninsohn are getting up there.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Chris

What a Christmas acquisition!

Stunning card buddy - just color me chartreuse with envy.

Great centering.

Mike
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - Awesome pickup! Something I just love about 8.5's - close to a 9 looks wise but a little more than an 8 price wise. Santa came early :D

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

That is an incredible Cousy. I was watching it closely as well. Building a high grade set of 1957 Topps Basketball is a slow process, but is very rewarding from a collecting standpoint. Congratulations on a great acquisition...

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

Thanks for the props fellow collectors. A special card for sure. Excited and humbled to have it.

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

UFDAH, amazing card! Thanks for sharing it with us. You have some great cards in your collection.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options

Thanks Rookie!! I've built up a nice collection. I'm a glutton for punishment!!

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Great card, congratulations!
    Steve

• Options

Thanks Steve!

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

That is the best Cousey I have seen.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

It's fantastic front and back. Love the right side of the back with the height measurement. Never noticed that was there before on that set. Very cool.

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Awesome Cousy--and great purchase--love me the 57 set

• Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

very nice Card for sure!

1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

That's awesome what a card.

• Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Agreed!!!

1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

beautiful card--congrats.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@flatfoot816 said:
    beautiful card--congrats.

+1

Mike
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Absolute beautiful cards. Really envious.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

amazing centering on Bob, well done my friend!

• Options

Eye appeal and centering are huge factors on these, they are amazing examples of the grade!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find it odd that on the back of the card it depicts a white man for the height example, yet the card is of a black man. However, a very nice example.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

great centering on the Russell

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.