Classic Commems still cascading

2»

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

i still like the classic commems. ill worry about the prices later. jmo

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 9:02AM

@MrEureka said:
    A year or two ago, I started building a 144 piece set because I like the coins and they seemed so cheap. But when I actually started buying the coins, I found that anything I liked enough to buy - for most issues, it would take a PCGS CAC 67 - was still expensive and not a bargain. The only things that were actually cheap were the coins I wouldn't want to collect, i.e., most of them. So I quit after buying about 15-20 coins. That said, collectors with a less critical eye for quality should have a field day with the series. At some point, I would not be surprised to see tremendous demand from overseas buyers. Remember, most Chinese collectors have never seen a Norfolk.

It's a good point that the nice coins are still expensive. The one I wanted to buy this year went for $4,000. I don't think there would be many collectors building a 144 coin set at that per-coin price.

It will be interesting to see what Chinese collectors buy. They may be interested in Norfolk, Virginia but I'm guessing they don't want to lose their money either, especially if prices continue to go down for the majority of coins. I think Chinese collectors would put their money into high fliers, making those prices go up even more, not coins with little and declining demand.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@kiyote said:
    Now I’m really tempted to start on a 52 peice set.. ms63 to 65 would be really affordable and I’d enjoy the coins not as an investment but just to have them.

I thought the standard classic silver commemorative type set was 50 coins?

Are we including the Isabella and Lafayette? You’re right, that is 50.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 5:11PM

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Bought this ages ago for about $100, MS-65 in a PCGS OGH. It's a luster bomb in hand. As for the commem series, I just have a handful as type.

That looks gorgeous @ElmerFusterpuck!

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am slowly working on a 50 (+) piece set and it, for me, has been interesting. The coins all have their own story of why the were created with corruption and intrigue thrown in on some of the issues. And I do really like some of the designs!

K

ANA LM
  • mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭✭

Do kids these days even study history and geography in school to know anything about the subjects depicted on Classic Commems?

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrcommem said:

Do kids these days even study history and geography in school to know anything about the subjects depicted on Classic Commems?

I don't think "revisionist history" allows for that.

Don't we have to have "Revisionist History" so that nobody loses or is offended?

Could you imagine the uproar if these two coins were submitted for minting today? I am surprised that the sculpture on Stone Mountain hasn't been removed.

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I find much of the series beautiful, I have not the same attraction to them as I do for regular issue coins. “Normal” coins minted for circulation provide a connection to the history of that period for me. Commens don’t do that for me in the same way, not any more than a commemorative dinner plate would.

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah ... I think it's the rare collector who connects personally with more than a small subset of them. That leaves a lot of issues with a pretty shallow fan base. Robinson, anyone?

mirabela
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 50-piece set and am looking to upgrade a few, but I'd like to know if those will keep falling. There's also a crazy range on prices, as I think some dealers will delay taking a haircut as long as possible. Look at the range of prices on Hawaiians in MS-65, even on nice ones.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Things got a bit more sane for gem Monroe and Sesqis— the price difference between 64 and 65 back in the 90s used to be insane.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep "thinking" of a Lafayette dollar.
    But only for the size.

Am I the only one who thinks the design is clunky and uninspired and would only get it for the horse statue? :)

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    I keep "thinking" of a Lafayette dollar.
    But only for the size.

Am I the only one who thinks the design is clunky and uninspired and would only get it for the horse statue? :)

I would "only" get it for the simple fact that it was the first US Mint issued coin to feature a president. Some may find that a negative though with how full-on overboard we have gone with that in the 20th & now 21st century though.

The more you VAM..
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think some Lafayette's are stunning and some are dogs, but the pretty ones are sweet.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file