Swallow the whistle.

2»

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Merry Christmas to you, too, my friend.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calvin Johnson scored a touchdown. That call was even more ridiculous than the Bryant and James calls.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Tabe said:
    Both calls were right. And they're both so easy I don't see why they're controversial.

Here's the standard: "A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner". Neither guy did that. Was Dez ever fully upright, capable of staying on his feet, and dodging someone? Nope. Ditto for Jesse James. By that standard, neither guy was a runner. Therefore, they had to hang onto the ball but did not.

I do have to laugh at this notion that Dez "took steps". He leapt in the air, stumbled, and fell down.

I of course agree and I now I have a bald spot from scratching my head in disbelief that others don't see it so clearly. Thanks a lot Dimeman. Oh well.

Merry Christmas Tabe

m

@Justacommeman said:

@Tabe said:
    Both calls were right. And they're both so easy I don't see why they're controversial.

Here's the standard: "A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner". Neither guy did that. Was Dez ever fully upright, capable of staying on his feet, and dodging someone? Nope. Ditto for Jesse James. By that standard, neither guy was a runner. Therefore, they had to hang onto the ball but did not.

I do have to laugh at this notion that Dez "took steps". He leapt in the air, stumbled, and fell down.

I of course agree and I now I have a bald spot from scratching my head in disbelief that others don't see it so clearly. Thanks a lot Dimeman. Oh well.

Merry Christmas Tabe

m

It is much easier for you to process change, Mark, as that is the business that you are in. If not for the visionaries that preceded you, I would not have had 6" platform heels to disco in in the mid 70's and would have had to rely on trusty Florsheim loafers.

Now let's say that MLB decided to reduce the number of home runs by requiring that the ball land at least 6 rows back into the stands to count as a hit. Less than that the runners return to their bases and the 400 foot drive counts as a strike (but no worse than the third strike.)

Now hearing the call of the "long fly ball....Nothrup goes back...back...back. On the warning track... it is looooong gone, would change to "we need to see a replay on that. I think it hit the facing of the seventh row, Ray, but I can't be sure". Well that would take a bit of getting used to. Especially for us old dinosaurs.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2017 7:23AM

@Tabe said:

I guess that not only do you have to take steps......they have to be a "certain" kind of steps. LOL ;)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Not the same at all. First he didn't take steps and second it looks like he is actually spiking the ball a little too early.

He's also not a Cowboy.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Not the same at all. First he didn't take steps and second it looks like he is actually spiking the ball a little too early.

He's also not a Cowboy.

Actually I would call Johnson's a TD also. He was in the end zone...his knee was down and he still had the ball in is hand.

James should have been down at the 1 foot line where his knee touched and he was down, but the ball was not over the goal yet.

Really this is NOT a Cowboy thing....really. I see bad calls all over the place.....not just against the Cowboys. :)

• Options

If the posters on this topic were the replay officials all three would be touchdowns as the plays would "stand as called."

Ralph

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2017 10:56AM

@Brick said:
    If the posters on this topic were the replay officials all three would be touchdowns as the plays would "stand as called."

As would I if they didn't change the rules. I have no problem changing them back or modifying them. The first time I became aware of the rule change was on the Calvin Johnson play. I watched in live and I almost through the remote through the TV. But it is in fact a rule.

@markg noted!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2017 11:06AM

@DIMEMAN said
    James should have been down at the 1 foot line where his knee touched and he was down, but the ball was not over the goal yet.

That is wrong as well. Do you just make up your own rules? He didn't survive the ground. That is the reason it wasn't ruled a catch. It didn't matter where on the field or whether his knee was down or if he was touched. As a receiver he has to survive the ground

No catch period

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Wait until this nonsense determines a playoff game or heaven forbid the Super Bowl.

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Wait until this nonsense determines a playoff game or heaven forbid the Super Bowl.

It did I guess with the Dez non catch playoff wise. At least that was with almost 10 minutes left

mark

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well said. Amen.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.