Home Sports Talk

Swallow the whistle.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

An old term referring to sports officials stepping back during critical parts of the game and allowing the players to determine the outcome of the event rather than the old chubby guys with the whistle.

Likely the intent of the guy on the ground at Pittsburg that smelled the stadium air and felt the sweaty chill of the 3 hour game.

The hell with the ticky tack and poorly thought out style points rule. It was a hard earned touchdown and he called it as that....only to be overruled by a nerdy accountant like geek sipping a latte and reclining in a wall street type swivel chair.

NFL blew it!

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well stated. I wonder if the nerdy geeks have anything riding on the games they overrule.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem SOLVED i.e. , there weren't enough "glick complains about stuff" threads on page one ;)

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    An old term referring to sports officials stepping back during critical parts of the game and allowing the players to determine the outcome of the event rather than the old chubby guys with the whistle.

Likely the intent of the guy on the ground at Pittsburg that smelled the stadium air and felt the sweaty chill of the 3 hour game.

The hell with the ticky tack and poorly thought out style points rule. It was a hard earned touchdown and he called it as that....only to be overruled by a nerdy accountant like geek sipping a latte and reclining in a wall street type swivel chair.

NFL blew it!

I agree with some of your statements, but that was a no catch. The one they blew was was Dez's catch several years ago in the playoffs. He caught the ball and made a football move and was a runner when he went down.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be interesting to have a video of the people, wherever they are, that shows them watching the replays that they are basing their decisions on. How many people are involved in the decision?

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your obsession with the NFL, despite your declarations to the contrary, is quite apparent, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2017 5:51PM

@grote15 said:
    Your obsession with the NFL, despite your declarations to the contrary, is quite apparent, lol..

My obsession is with multi million dollar college coaches hosing taxpayers.

NFL is only an annoyance.

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

Come on, now, you follow and watch the NFL as closely as any devoted fan, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

Come on, now, you follow and watch the NFL as closely as any devoted fan, lol..

When I lived in Michigan over 20 years ago I did. It was a good way to get through the fall and into the winter. Kind of went to a withdrawal when the season ended.

Less and less interest over the years. No one thing but I really don't like the way that the replays throw off the tempo of the game. Making the league "safe" has also made the game more difficult to watch.

I literally did catch the end of the Pitt/NE game on the radio. Checked the play online and commented. Aside from that. my involvement is the kibitzing online and checking the standings in the paper once a week.

edited December 19, 2017 6:40PM

Whatever you say. But you seem to catch quite a bit of action while kibitzing online, lol..

It's OK to admit that the NFL still captures your interest.

Football is a tremendous game, particularly at the highest level. Unfortunately it is in shaky hands.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Football is a tremendous game, particularly at the highest level. Unfortunately it is in shaky hands.

More then germs of truth to that. They need to get their act together. They hit a peak a few years ago

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited December 19, 2017 7:27PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

NFL blew it!

I agree with some of your statements, but that was a no catch. The one they blew was was Dez's catch several years ago in the playoffs. He caught the ball and made a football move and was a runner when he went down.

Same exact rule enforced no matter how you feel about it. They got it right then and they got it right Sunday. Dez didn't survive the ground and neither did Jessie James.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

NFL blew it!

Same exact rule enforced no matter how you feel about it. They got it right then and they got it right Sunday. Dez didn't survive the ground and neither did Jessie James.

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

NFL blew it!

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

NFL blew it!

mark

Big difference Mark........Dez was a runner and James was not.

edited December 19, 2017 7:40PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

NFL blew it!

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

NFL blew it!

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

NFL blew it!

mark

Big difference Mark........Dez was a runner and James was not.

You are so wrong. You want to think he was a runner. You want to believe he was a runner. You saying he was a runner doesn't make him a runner. He wasn't a runner because he never completed the process. That's exactly why it was ruled no catch. He never complete the catch as explained below. Anyways debating you on this is a lost cause. Not a catch then and not a catch now. Both the James and Bryant rulings were correct by the rules in place.

No catch.

From Mike Pereira

"Look, here is the rule. If you’re going to the ground you have to hold onto the ball when the ball hits the ground…Going to the ground trumps lunging/reaching to try and get extra yards or score a TD. You do that at your own risk. It’s incomplete…just ask Dez"

The only difference here is that Dez was a Cowboy and James is not.

Old persons memory. Didn't Bryant take about three steps before going to the ground?

Ralph

@Brick said:
    Old persons memory. Didn't Bryant take about three steps before going to the ground?

BINGO!! YES HE DID!!!!!

edited December 19, 2017 8:06PM

@Brick said:

Hiya Brick. Here is a clip and explanation better then I could do it. It is what it was. Just click "Watch on YouTube" to view it when you get the black box

mark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4oSgdm94CAE

I just watched it again. He caught the ball on the 5 yard line and took steps to the goal line. That's 15 freaking feet. How else did he get there...... He took steps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@DIMEMAN said:
    I just watched it again. He caught the ball on the 5 yard line and took steps to the goal line. That's 15 freaking feet. How else did he get there...... He took steps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simple. He hasn't caught the ball the yet. Open your mind

m

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

m

SIMPLE.....he CAUGHT the ball at the 5 and the ball NEVER left both his hands until the goal. It was in his hands the WHOLE 15 feet while taking steps.

Only Cowboy haters can't seem to see this. I thought you were better than that Mark......guess not.

This is my last reply to this....I can't afford another ban!

I enjoy your heartfelt passion for your team so yes please don't get yourself in trouble. This is one forum where we can disagree without being disagreeable. BTW we are at odds with the NFL who spares no expense in getting things right and even if they got the Bryant call correct how far could the Cowboys have gone with Romo at QB?

Ralph

It wasn't a catch then and it isn't a catch now. By rule, pass was incomplete. Unless you happen to be rooting for the Cowboys, that is.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    It wasn't a catch then and it isn't a catch now. By rule, pass was incomplete. Unless you happen to be rooting for the Cowboys, that is.

Weren't the cowboys only in that game because of a bungled call in their favor the week before?

I am absolutely not a Cowboys fan. Bryant caught the ball, took a few steps, hit the round which caused the fumble...sorry... incompletion. I am a Browns fan. When are the refs going to blow a call in our favor? BTW as a Browns fan you know what I think of the Steelers. Their TE caught the ball went down to one knee but was not touched so he became a runner and lunged for the end zone where he had the ball in the air (already secured for a good length of time) past the goal line. Touchdown...end of play...wait.. the ground caused a fumble after he scored...I mean incompletion. Sorry.

Ralph

@bronco2078 said:

@grote15 said:

Weren't the cowboys only in that game because of a bungled call in their favor the week before?

Several calls that the league actually apologized for. In the Dez case no apology was necessary

mark

edited December 20, 2017 12:17PM

@Brick said:
    I am absolutely not a Cowboys fan. Bryant caught the ball, took a few steps, hit the round which caused the fumble...sorry... incompletion. I am a Browns fan. When are the refs going to blow a call in our favor? BTW as a Browns fan you know what I think of the Steelers. Their TE caught the ball went down to one knee but was not touched so he became a runner and lunged for the end zone where he had the ball in the air (already secured for a good length of time) past the goal line. Touchdown...end of play...wait.. the ground caused a fumble after he scored...I mean incompletion. Sorry.

Brick I was actually a Cowboy fan in that game. The second I saw the play live I said oh no, that's not a catch and it's going to be overturned. I've seen it called way too many times.

The video sums up the explanation of the rule very well. If one doesn't accept the explanation of the rule then it's the rule itself that one perhaps has the problem with. For it to be a catch you have to survive the ground.

mark

@bronco2078 said:

@grote15 said:

Yes, a phantom pass interference call on Detroit kept the Dallas game winning drive alive.

edited December 20, 2017 12:31PM

@grote15 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@grote15 said:

Yes, a phantom pass interference call on Detroit kept the Dallas game winning drive alive.

There were several the league apologized for. The obviousdefensive pass interference on Dallas where the flag was inexplicably PICKED up brought at uproar heard around the world. That killed Detroits drive to put the game away. Mike Perirea stills thinks it was one of the most aggregious officiating errors he has seen since he's been in the booth. It smacked of foul play

Brick I knew what it meant to be a Browns fan at that point

m

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

m

SIMPLE.....he CAUGHT the ball at the 5 and the ball NEVER left both his hands until the goal. It was in his hands the WHOLE 15 feet while taking steps.

Only Cowboy haters can't seem to see this. I thought you were better than that Mark......guess not.

I was rooting for the Cowboys that game. I needed them to win. You're a lost soul. Just watch the video and actually let them explain the rule in the video. They are experts without bias. No catch. He didn't survive the ground. If you ignore any part of the rule you will always get it wrong. And that it what you are doing. That catch doesn't happened until you survive the ground which he obviously didn't.

m

Bookies laugh..
    And buy a round..
    When the receiver..
    Doesn't survive the ground.

Burma Shave!

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

m

I was rooting for the Cowboys that game. I needed them to win. You're a lost soul. Just watch the video and actually let them explain the rule in the video. They are experts without bias. No catch. He didn't survive the ground. If you ignore any part of the rule you will always get it wrong. And that it what you are doing. That catch doesn't happened until you survive the ground which he obviously didn't.

m

OK Mark...one more time. You only have to survive the ground if you go up...catch the ball and go to the ground. He caught the ball took steps (how else can you go 15 feet) and THEN went to the ground, which at that time he was a runner after the catch and didn't have to survive the ground.

Seems that "ball crossing any part of the line" was much easier for everyone to understand.

Same goes for overtime rules. Used to be "first team to score wins." Now you need a sanction translation.

Yes. My disagreement is with the rule. Or rather the interpretation of the rule. At what point does the receiver become a runner? Obviously if a receiver catches a pass and runs eighty yards downfield, is tackled, and the ball goes loose as he hits the ground it is a completed pass and the ground cannot cause a fumble. If he runs fifty yards, the same thing. If he runs twenty, fifteen, ten, same thing, completed pass, ground cannot cause fumble. My difference of opinion with the officials is that I saw a definite transition from receiver to runner, the officials and many here did not. I am 100% with Dimeman on this one but have respect for those who disagree.

Ralph

edited December 20, 2017 5:32PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

m

m

OK Mark...one more time. You only have to survive the ground if you go up...catch the ball and go to the ground. He caught the ball took steps (how else can you go 15 feet) and THEN went to the ground, which at that time he was a runner after the catch and didn't have to survive the ground.

No. That's not what happened. You keep repeating the same half truths and mixing rules. He leaped for the the ball around the 5. He had momentum and he's six feet tall so obviously he is going to cover some ground. Too bad for him he didn't survive the ground. He was never a runner.

Anyways the league ruled correctly. They were right when they OVERTURNED the call on the field. They were right the next day and they are right today. It's their rule. Not Dimemans Running Run Rule. If he ran with that ball then it would indeed be a different conversation. But.......he didn't

Respectfully he didn't catch crap. If the same play happened at the sideline and it took him out of bounds it still wouldn't be a catch. Has to survive the ground.

mark

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh damn i can't believe this is still being discussed. when they said the gift that keeps on giving, i'm not sure this is what they had in mind

You guys can disagree all you want them the rules and galaxy I do love this. Just keeping the troops honest ;)

No catch.

m

Dez must be super human to be able to cover 15 feet without taking steps. You need to watch the clip again Mark. And pay special attention to his feet as he IS taking steps.

@DIMEMAN said:
    Dez must be super human to be able to cover 15 feet without taking steps. You need to watch the clip again Mark. And pay special attention to his feet as he IS taking steps.

I did and so did the NFL. You must be looking at something different. That could be the only explanation. Not super human at all. He lept for the ball and he was probably moving 15 mph and is eight feet when stretched out. Where do you suppose he would land? Never secured the catch. Said it live and say it now.

no catch. Overturned for a reason

m

LOL.......you are actually saying his feet never touched the ground! WOW! First of all he wasn't going anywhere close to 15 MPH....that would be close to flat out speed of a runner. Oh forget it.....this is like talking to a tree. No matter how much you hate it...it was a catch.

Not the same at all. First he didn't take steps and second it looks like he is actually spiking the ball a little too early.

@Justacommeman said:
    You guys can disagree all you want them the rules and galaxy I do love this. Just keeping the troops honest ;)

No catch.

m

I un disagreed. No point whacking each others rankings over a touchdown (that was a touchdown!).

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

No catch.

m

I un disagreed. No point whacking each others rankings over a touchdown (that was a touchdown!).

I agree, but don't know how to un disagree.

edited December 20, 2017 8:51PM

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

No catch.

m

@DIMEMAN said:
    LOL.......you are actually saying his feet never touched the ground! WOW! First of all he wasn't going anywhere close to 15 MPH....that would be close to flat out speed of a runner. Oh forget it.....this is like talking to a tree. No matter how much you hate it...it was a catch.

Not a catch. Never was and never will be until they change the rule. Of course his feet hit the ground so did the ball when he didn't secure the catch.

I lost $2000 because Dez couldn't complete the catch so I should be more upset then you

No catch

m

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

No catch.

m

It doesn't matter but for the future just hit disagee again and it will take it away.

Happy Holidays my Cowboy friend

m

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

No catch.

m

It doesn't matter but for the future just hit disagee again and it will take it away.

Happy Holidays my Cowboy friend

m

It's off. Happy Holidays to you and your family Mark.

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

No catch.

m

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

No catch.

m

Just click on the same disagree again and it will un disagree your disagree.

Merry Christmas all!!!

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both calls were right. And they're both so easy I don't see why they're controversial.

Here's the standard: "A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner". Neither guy did that. Was Dez ever fully upright, capable of staying on his feet, and dodging someone? Nope. Ditto for Jesse James. By that standard, neither guy was a runner. Therefore, they had to hang onto the ball but did not.

I do have to laugh at this notion that Dez "took steps". He leapt in the air, stumbled, and fell down.

@Tabe said:
    Both calls were right. And they're both so easy I don't see why they're controversial.

Here's the standard: "A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner". Neither guy did that. Was Dez ever fully upright, capable of staying on his feet, and dodging someone? Nope. Ditto for Jesse James. By that standard, neither guy was a runner. Therefore, they had to hang onto the ball but did not.

I do have to laugh at this notion that Dez "took steps". He leapt in the air, stumbled, and fell down.

I of course agree and I now I have a bald spot from scratching my head in disbelief that others don't see it so clearly. Thanks a lot Dimeman. Oh well.

Merry Christmas Tabe

m