Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A Cool Grade In

Just found out our hosts graded this MS-66+ Red, which is great. They have yet to grade any Victorian cent of Canada at 67.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

Comments

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very nice Victorian cent... congrats on the grade.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really nice coin. Congrats.

They were grading it as a crossover I assume? I'd try it a few more times at PCGS.

• sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Great coin, Rob.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic coin!

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭

B)

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great coin!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Just to prove they are tougher than ICCS. ;);)

Paul
  • bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2017 9:58AM

It occurred to me that some might not know of the Landon Collection, from whence this coin came. George F. Landon, a carpenter and builder, lived in Winnipeg in the second half of the 19th century and the early part of the 20th. From about 1882 until his death in 1916 he collected both Canadian and U.S. coins. He was member #113 of the ANA. His collection passed through the family to his grandson, an Anglican Reverend. The grandson bequeathed the collection to the church, who consigned it to auction in 2015.

The collection was magnificent and virtually unknown to the collecting world until the church began the process of shopping for an auctioneer. It was clear that George Landon went to a bank each year and obtained mint state examples of coins, particularly one cent coins. For many of the one cent dates, there were dozens of high mint state coins in the collection. Those mint state one cent coins all had that original, not played with, luster and color. His silver was equally as impressive, but without the many copies of each date. The auction created the biggest buzz in Canadian collecting, since Belzberg sold in 2003. It became kind of a feeding frenzy and I think still has the record as the highest grossing coin auction ever held in Canada.

ICCS graded several of the one cent examples at 66 and a few at 67. I thought the coin shown in the opening post was arguably the finest one cent in the collection. I think it is in the conversation for the finest Victorian cent survivor in existence today.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com