Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How important is it to keep prominent sets intact?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 13, 2019 1:50AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just ran across Eliasberg's Abraham Lincoln Gold Medal Collection sold by Stack's, not once, not twice, but three times.

The set was sold in 16 individual lots the first two times and, in both times, a single collector managed to win every single lot to keep the set intact. The last time, in 2016, the set was sold intact.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-5T8DP

From the Collection of Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr.

Unprecedented Abraham Lincoln Gold Medal Collection.

In our (Stack's) September 2010 Philadelphia Americana Sale we had the distinct pleasure of presenting for sale this unique collection of gold Abraham Lincoln medals, once a prized possession of Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. At that time we elected to offer the set in 16 separate lots (15 individual gold medals plus the case and documents related to the set). One collector felt the set should remain together and succeeded in winning each lot in the set, keeping it intact. Five years later, when the owner decided to part with the medals, he contacted us, giving us a second opportunity to sell this historic property. Once again the medals were offered as 16 separate lots, and again, one collector sensed the importance of keeping these medals together as a set and aggressively bid for, and won, each of the individual lots. Now, for a third time, we are honored to present Mr. Eliasberg's gold Lincoln set at auction. This time, as the collecting public seems to prefer, it will remain as a set, including all 15 medals and the case, along with the supporting documents in a single lot.

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Risky to the consignor. I'd set a pretty careful reserve.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2017 4:05PM

It sold for $64,625 in at Baltimore 2016. It would be interesting to see how that compared to the first two times.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not consider it important to keep them together.... Rather I see it as beneficial to the hobby to split them up... spread the coins/medals around for many to possess and enjoy... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe on a case-by-case basis. The yellow morocco leather case proves everything and nothing. ;)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

How were great collections formed in the first place? Most likely piece by piece, so allow for another great collection to be formed. It is a rare opportunity to find willing buyers and sellers at the same time for a great collection intact.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I simply could never be bothered to collect the collector.

Also isn't there a better satisfaction of putting the collection together yourself? The chase is part of it. What fun is getting it all at once?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file