Home Precious Metals

Bitcoin tickling $19,000 today, as Facebook Messenger chief joins Coinbase board

At well over $500 billion, the cryptocurrency market has now exceeded the value of Facebook, and it seems they are not planning on getting left behind. I became a believer in the last couple of weeks, when I was lucky to get in on Litecoin, before it tripled, and secured my original investment quickly. I've always been cautious, with any investments, but I think I'll keep my Coinbase account rolling for now =) It helps my peace-of-mind considerably, that Coinbase only keeps about 2% of customer funds in the online platform, with the rest is kept in secure, offline vaults, and is insured by Lloyd's and FDIC. I will never be comfortable putting my money in any of the foreign crypto exchanges. Will be interesting, to stick around and see what happens, if/when Coinbase adds to the BTC, ETH and LTC line-up, gets bought, and/or eventually goes public.
https://www.inverse.com/article/39450-is-bitcoin-in-facebook-s-future-messenger-chief-joins-coinbase-board

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep them occupied away from my field.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering its limitations/vulnerabilty why would you even want to own it, much less at $19K+?

theknowitalltroll;
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

I became a believer in the last couple of weeks, when I was lucky to get in on Litecoin, before it tripled, and secured my original investment quickly

Virtually all new "investors" in crypto currencies that I have talked to have the same strategy. Buy some, cashout their original dollar value investment, sell the rest later.

At some point, there won't be enough money from new "investors" to keep the hype going, and the value will plummet.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Don’t forget to use hard storage devices to diversify your holdings in crypto currencies.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2017 4:38PM

"At some point, there won't be enough money from new "investors" to keep the hype going, and the value will plummet."

Yes, but we're a LONG way from that. There's SO much capital excess looking for a place--any place--to land for a gain. That doesn't mean it won't all go pop, but it won't be because the world's run out of idle cash.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

One year later, it certainly fell off a cliff! :#

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:
    "At some point, there won't be enough money from new "investors" to keep the hype going, and the value will plummet."

Yes, but we're a LONG way from that. There's SO much capital excess looking for a place--any place--to land for a gain. That doesn't mean it won't all go pop, but it won't be because the world's run out of idle cash.

ouch

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, it's under $3,500 today. Some people really took a beating !!! :'(

Timbuk3