Home Precious Metals
Options

APMEX now accepting Bitcoin.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know if this has been covered in the other threads.

I will make sure that all future purchases from their site are with CC protection.

Comments

• Options

Guess they figure that they can hedge their positions now.

I don't see this ending well.

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

RIP Apmex.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had a bitcoin APMEX is exactly where I'd unload it! :D

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Guess they figure that they can hedge their positions now.

I don't see this ending well.

To them, it's just like you paying with paypal or your credit card. The Bitcoin is instantly traded for USD through the exchange they're hooked up with and the funds are deposited into their bank account.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

I think that most any merchant who 'accepts' Bitcoin is indeed actually planning on instantly exchanging it for USD and thus selling their stuff for USD in reality. But I wonder... Bitcoin cannot actually be instantly traded. One needs to wait for somebody to 'mine' the transaction to get it added to the blockchain. Until then the Bitcoin exchange has not cleared. So what happens, when some buyer offers BTC, it goes to the 'instant' exchange, but the BTC exchange does not actually happen for a day or so, and in the meantime, the price of BTC changes a lot. Who is on the hook for the BTC price changes, between the offer by the customer, and the actual blockchain change that includes the BTC trade?

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

The exchanges that you are signed up with have instant buy/sell orders already in their system, much like a regular stock exchange broker (Scottrade, TD Ameritrade, etc.). The sell order is instantly placed (when the cryptocurrency is received from the sender to APMEX) and instantly turned into USD and deposited into APMEX's account. The transactions (what the miners help do and keep the network secure) occur when the Bitcoin, or whatever crypto currency it is, is transferred out of the exchange to your cryptocurrency wallet.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

I repeat.....this will not end well.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

Yup, All it takes is greed.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, that's crazy !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was APMEX thinking? Who's going to trade their Bitcoin for those completely antiquated stores of wealth, gold and silver? I don't see anyone using that option at all ;).

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

People that like bitcoin should do a web search on "tulip bulb hysteria". It's a direct parallel to what's happening with bitcoin. The only difference is that tulip bulbs are real.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited December 15, 2017 3:49AM

@PerryHall said:
    People that like bitcoin should do a web search on "tulip bulb hysteria". It's a direct parallel to what's happening with bitcoin. The only difference is that tulip bulbs are real.

Or modern commems in MS70!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Coinbase app is a joke. Tried for days to set up an account. ——- that noise.

• Options

The good part is getting $.38 deposited to my account for trying.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soon we will see ebay, paypal and Mastercard accepting bitcoins..... Yeah, right.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

especially since the boys on Wall St. gave themselves a way to short it via the futures market.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

@derryb said:

@Coinstartled said:

especially since the boys on Wall St. gave themselves a way to short it via the futures market.

True, maybe I WILL make money in bitcoin afterall.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Combine that move with the Walmart Move and I see disaster in the making. wonder if ETB ever used to buy gold.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    edited December 19, 2017 7:42AM

So then ... I can get one bitcoin for selling them 14.24 ounces of gold today. What’s their spread ? I’ll take one bitcoin. Have they announced the spread ?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2017 8:14AM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    So then ... I can get one bitcoin for selling them 14.24 ounces of gold today. What’s their spread ? I’ll take one bitcoin. Have they announced the spread ?

Like several other on line bullion dealers they will sell bullion to you for bitcoins but I seriously doubt that they accumulate bitcoins but rather they immediately convert your bitcoins into U.S. Dollars before they ship. They may not buy your bullion for bitcoins but that's easy enough to verify by contacting them.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

SEC suspends Bitcoin trading.

"""The Securities and Exchange Commission suspended trading Tuesday of The Crypto Company until January 3, citing "concerns regarding the accuracy and adequacy of information" about compensation paid to promote the firm and plans for insider sales.

The Crytpo Company describes itself as a business that "offers a portfolio of digital assets, technologies, and consulting services to the blockchain and cryptocurrency markets" with plans for a "rollout of a full scale, high frequency cryptocurrency trading floor." """

• Options

Interesting possibilities. > @Coinstartled said:

SEC suspends Bitcoin trading.

"""The Securities and Exchange Commission suspended trading Tuesday of The Crypto Company until January 3, citing "concerns regarding the accuracy and adequacy of information" about compensation paid to promote the firm and plans for insider sales.

The Crytpo Company describes itself as a business that "offers a portfolio of digital assets, technologies, and consulting services to the blockchain and cryptocurrency markets" with plans for a "rollout of a full scale, high frequency cryptocurrency trading floor." """

Erroneous info. SEC halted/suspended trading on one company, not on Bitcoin.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it true only about 10-15% of Bitcoin is actually used for its intended purpose of payment transaction. The rest is all speculation?

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

I would imagine the percentage of transactions that are for real goods/services is far lower than 10%. The vast majority are being traded for other crypto coins and for cash.

Also worth noting that an estimated 40% of all bitcoins are owned by less than 1,000 individuals.

These markets are absolutely ripe for a major pump and dump scenario.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Golly, now folks with anonymous bitcoin profits from honestly trading bitcoin ( but, of couse, not from drug dealing, human trafficking, terrorism, tax evasion, money laundering, hacking, blackmail, kidnapping, and extortion) can directly buy their tacky, kitchy novelty silver rounds from the supplier!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Despite my opinion, there’s a melting point to all of this.