Home Precious Metals
Options

Palladium; The Stable Metal?

MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

All other PM's drop and Palladium stays strong above $1,000. Thoughts?
Must be the Eagle effect.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been watching it, it does seem stable at a grand lately..

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think is the massive lack of interest surrounding Palladium. No one thinks to alter a palladium position in response to world events because they don't ever think about it.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Palladium will be stable until they stop using it in catalytic converters, which should be about 5 more years, if the electric vehicle forecasts hold up.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

OK then, I have five years to enjoy my proof and uncirculated version of the Palladium eagle!

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or longer, with the low mintage, they may be good forever...just may not be good melt candidates forever.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to things I have read about electric vehicles, if the volume increases as some predict, the entire power grid is going to have to be modified to handle the load. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to things I have read about electric vehicles, if the volume increases as some predict, the entire power grid is going to have to be modified to handle the load. Cheers, RickO

California has a mandate for electric vehicle phase-in, and California will be the first to experience the infrastructure bottleneck. Stay tuned. I'm predicting a larger mass migration out of CA.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

This trend isnt going to change anytime soon.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

People definitely are not moving out in my neck of the woods in California (wish they would!) :)

• Options

From Reuters:

Among other precious metals, palladium rose over 1 percent to its highest since February 2001 at $1,069.50 an ounce - just $5.50 an ounce from that month's peak - before edging back to $1,056.47, up 0.47 percent.

Palladium is the best performer of the precious metals complex in 2017, up more than 50 percent as years of deficit and expectations for rising demand from the car industry bolstered
    the investment case for the autocatalyst metal.

"Investors perceive the market to be very tight," INTL FCStone said in a note.

• Options

I think we'll see an all time high before long.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, palladium. The magic word at local coin shops. :D

• Options

Funny. And true. You gotta just love it for its intrinsic value and collectibility. And this one just happens to be beautiful. Regardless of the precious metal.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another overpriced commodity.

• Options

From CNBC:

Palladium rose 1.26 percent to $1,097.70, having touched an all-time high of $1,102, surpassing the record high set on Tuesday.

Palladium jumped 56 percent last year due to fears of a shortage fueled by Chinese car sales growth, tightening emissions controls and a swing away from diesel cars in Europe.

"We see no reason that the fundamental tightness in the (palladium) market will change any time soon. We see palladium prices remaining well supported, although there is a danger from here of a short-term pullback as investors take profits," said Mitsubishi in a note.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks better as a coin. Otherwise, it's not one of them metals which are given much thought to , except in manufacturing / industrial use. Funny, how "fear" drives markets, too. It has had a great run, nonetheless.

• Options

Agreed Two Sides. I don't have many bling palladium necklaces or watches or gun stocks/barrels, etc....but, I love me some coin.

• Options

MMMMM..... I do love the sound of Palladium rising.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options

The last time I owned some palladium, I started to get nervous because it just sat there, drifting downward for a year or two. It seems to have a little broader market now, but platinum and silver serve the same purpose for me - as counterweights to gold and the dollar. We’ll see how much actual investment demand there is in a year or two after palladium eagle program has had time to saturate the market.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Palladium has now sunk below Platinum at $959 vs. $974, respectively.

Does anyone know why this has happened now? Speculative blowoff in palladium, perhaps?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

It's bizarre how fast it has dropped!

• Options

Another flip-flop: Palladium @ $969 and Platinum @ $963.

I knew it would happen.