Home U.S. Coin Forum

Very good fake coin in NGC holder (fake holder?)

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 12, 2017 9:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Sadly to say, this coin is “no good.” If you look closely on “DOLLAR” on reverse, you should be able to find enough clues. This is a typical fake Chinese coins that denticles looks un-uniform. Just my two cents.

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Slab looks fake too...

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow good eye, you can see all the dot's all over this coin Crazy good fake.

Hoard the keys.
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to put this photo here otherwise once Ebay remove the listing people will not see it. I want people can learn from it.

This is a very good example that prove when you buy a coin you really need to check it on NGC or PCGS site. Even if you buy from HA. I will give out another example that HA just sold a coin in Hong kong last week. I am not sure it is fake but it is very questionable because NGC site did not list the grade and provided a link to contact customer service for that coin and I never see NGC do that for other coins. I sent them two emails to NGC and did not receive any reply yet.

Link from HA:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/china/tibet/china-tibet-theocracy-kuang-hsu-gold-off-metal-1-2-rupee-nd-1905-au55-ngc-/a/3058-37107.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

Link for NGC:

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2012690-001/55/

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

First thing I look at is where the mounting tabs touch the coin. Compare the Chinese symbol at the 7:00 position and you will see that they do not match the NGC cert lookup coin.
    Fake.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

I was thinking to buy that ha gold coin but I gave it up because I am worry that might be fake. I hope the buyer knows what he is buying.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2017 1:25PM

Well, the eBay one isn't a fake coin in an NGC holder. It's a fake coin in a fake holder. NGC should see/handle this one. Here is the cert lookup and clearly it's not the same.

https://ngccoin.com/certlookup/3501036-017/61/

IIRC the cert lookup that basically says 'contact us' means the coin has either been reported stolen or there have been fakes using that cert#. One might be good, but there could be others that are faked.

I sent an email to NGC about the one you posted that is active on eBay. Not sure I used the right email, but it should get to the right person. A complaint from NGC to eBay will be a lot more effective than from one of the unwashed masses.

My friend just sent me another one is in PCGS holder. Please pay close attention to the coin when you buy from seller from China. I am going to post that PCGS coin in another discussion

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:s !!!

Timbuk3
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a pretty poor fake and an even worse fake slab - the fonts are all off. Look at all the raised bumps on both the obverse and reverse. It doesn't matter where the coin is from - it's fake.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not good for the person who knows nothing about this junk. Like eBay says, we have everything.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all this information.... the fakes are rampant and posting these helps forum members learn and avoid such traps. Cheers, RickO

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

label font is a dead giveaway

"The good old days when “JUSTICE” stood for something instead of “JUST US.”" - Martin Armstrong

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file