Home Precious Metals
Options

Banded Eagle...ASE with Toning..

ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought I would share this...So I bought a bunch of ASE's a while ago and they were all blast white except for one of them. They had not been disturbed since being repackaged for re-sale but if I could figure out what caused this toning and could reproduce it, well it would be fun! The coin is blast white with plenty of luster...the photos don't show that. The toning itself is a sea green blending into a burgundy at the edges. It looks like it was caused by a band or ?? over the coin. When I received it it was in a flip from GovtMint.com as were all the others which have not toned.

K

ANA LM

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen that before when a silver coin is stored in a box with a rubber band around it. Stretch a rubber band and then smell it---that's sulfur.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, looks like a rubber band mark.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the rubber band comment.
    Could have had tissue or paper or something on it and then rubber banded.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the late 1960's a fellow coin club member had a proof trade dollar that was stored for several years in a small cardboard box with cotton padding. The lid was held in place with a rubber band wrapped around the box. The coin was bright white with a black mark bisecting the surface of the coin. The mark was a thin line that looked like someone took a sharpie and drew a line across the surface of the coin. It obviously was a result of the rubber band.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... rubber band tarnish.... and different rubber bands will produce different results....Back in my 'experimenting' days, I did a few.... You can even get inventive with the pattern... I have seen a few tarnished coins for sale that I believe were the result of 'banding'. Cheers, RickO