Home Precious Metals

Opinions on different asset classes? stocks, bonds, commodities, cryptocurrency, real estate, etc.

There appears to be a prevailing theme on these boards that government is bad and gold/silver is good. Tell me what informs your decisions and how you evaluate or make predictions for investments or decisions with your money. Would any of you buy bitcoin? Has anybody already? I don't understand what it is. Would you rather buy and flip properties than invest in an S&P 500 index fund? Share your thoughts. I personally am still in my 20s and I am biased toward growth stocks...some of you may think I am taking silly risks and I should be buying bars of silver instead! I think stocks are perhaps 15% overvalued and bitcoin is...(I have no idea how to value it, but I haven't bought any and have no plans to do so). I am not much of a bond guy. Some of my favorite stocks are BLK, GOOGL, V, MA, and NOC. I like others as well, but those are particularly high conviction bets of mine. Hope they pay off. I got quite a bit of each of them in my roth IRA.

Positive BST transactions with Timbuk3, coindeuce, charlottedude.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

government is currently bad for the dollar.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get some of each asset class and sleep well on a balanced foundation. When one sector does too well, sell a bit to restore balance. When one does too poorly, buy a little bit more, if the long term trend still makes sense. Generally, avoid all-in approaches, and dont worry too much about the chicken littles.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you to buy stocks at age 22.
    Stocks will always be the best way to make money in the long run.
    I'm becoming more bearish on gold as I think
    bitcoin is stealing its thunder.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will Bitcoins become the tulips of 21st century investing?

All glory is fleeting.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Balanced is fine once you hit your 30s. I can't recommend real estate enough for someone in their 20s. I started in my 20s part time. A couple of 4- and 5-unit converted houses while I kept my day job. Grew from there. I've been "retired" since I was about 40. Now I got lucky. I was stupid and aggressive. But it's one of the most powerful ways to become rich ever invented. Little investment, incredible leverage, multiple income streams, ridiculous tax advantages.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great time to be thinking about your future, most people in your age bracket do not. A diversified investment strategy is great... and I agree with Weiss about real estate. Cheers, RickO

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

The secret to a successful long term portfolio is to stay on top of things ready to react. The only way to do this quickly is to be in the driver's seat making the trades.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    Balanced is fine once you hit your 30s. I can't recommend real estate enough for someone in their 20s. I started in my 20s part time. A couple of 4- and 5-unit converted houses while I kept my day job. Grew from there. I've been "retired" since I was about 40. Now I got lucky. I was stupid and aggressive. But it's one of the most powerful ways to become rich ever invented. Little investment, incredible leverage, multiple income streams, ridiculous tax advantages.

People will always have to live somewhere.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

All of my investments are geared toward aquiring more real estate; the next bullion run I am dumping all of mine for another real estate purchase. The problem where I live is real estate is to high so I like southern Nevada real estate for rent to mortguage payment ratios.

• USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Weiss said:

People will always have to live somewhere.

Exactly even during the bad days from 2007-2012 I had my condo always rented (rents were flat) and when it was open 30 or more calls for it...

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2017 12:01PM

_I personally am still in my 20s and I am biased toward growth stocks...some of you may think I am taking silly risks and I should be buying bars of silver instead! I think stocks are perhaps 15% overvalued _

Your bias is correct for your age. Your assessment regarding stocks at this moment is perhaps correct.

_ a prevailing theme on these boards that government is bad and gold/silver is good_

Government is not to be trusted, but it's the people in government who are either bad or good. Gold and silver are innate. They are what they are.

Bitcoin, flipping properties = both speculative & a judgement call based on your own risk tolerance

Bonds - at this time, I wouldn't buy bonds even with someone else's money. However, recent history has shown that the bond bubble might continue ad infinitum under the new paradigm of money creation - then again, it might not, which is why they invented gold & silver.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.