Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bitcoin or RareCoin?

REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 7, 2017 11:45AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Currently 1 Bitcoin is quoted at $16,600 or about the price of a 1907 High Relief $20 Saint NGC or PCGS MS62.
Which would you rather have?

Bitcoin or RareCoin?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

4th Choice? A VG 1796 Quarter. I would take that all day long over a bitcoin.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted the Saint. I for some reason thought you said it was worth twice the bitcoin. I would actually choose the bitcoin, as it has been going CRAZY lately. I've made about 30-40% in the one month I've owned some.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rare coin over Bitcoin any day.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017 12:14PM

I took the rare Saint. I'm assuming you were referring to a 1933 Gold Double Eagle, and Saint Izzy.

HE>I

• YouYou Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

This same question was asked on this forum back when Bitcoin was at $2500, except it was 2 ounces of gold instead of a High Relief Saint. Most people said 2 ounces of gold. All of those people would still have roughly $2500 in gold. The people who voted for Bitcoin would have $17000 in Bitcoin. Just because something appears more stable does not make it the better option. I vote Bitcoin.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017 12:20PM

Bitcoin = Tulipomania du jour.

Supposedly, some high ranking official in the Red Chinese government publicly stated just the other day "If you sit along the banks of the river long enough, you will see the body of bitcoin float by".

Kinda liked that one.

Make mine a Rare Saint. Hell, I'll take a nice looking slabbed 1928 instead of bitcoin.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017 12:21PM

IMO, Bitcoin is going to take a huge jump. Already has begun. I've heard the big institutions are getting in very soon. If true, $1300 for one $20 today will turn into $$,$$$$ and 6+ Saints by March of 2018. Although I believe this, I'm too lazy to find out how to put $1000 into Bitcoin today. ZZZzzzz. I lose. I cannot wait to revisit this thread next year to see my imaginary paper gain and hear from the folks who acted and bought into the growing bubble.

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Does PCGS grade BITCOINS? ;)

Paul
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmac said:

anacs grades them

@Insider2 said:
    IMO, Bitcoin is going to take a huge jump.

you still have some time to figure it out and buy on the dip before it goes to 1M

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Do they have smaller denominations? I might look into a 'cent' bitcoin.

Paul
  • REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017 12:53PM

@pmac said:
    Do they have smaller denominations? I might look into a 'cent' bitcoin.

Yes but "denomination" isn't part of the scheme. It is quoted with 8 places to the right of the decimal.

,01 (or a "bit cent" if you prefer) will cost about $165 today.

• How can you actually USE bitcoin? I heard about someone buying a house with bitcoin years ago, at the time it was the largest purchase with bitcoin. I want the saint but am intrigued by bitcoin but really know nothing more than what occasionally pops up in the news.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Babboonbobo69 said:
    How can you actually USE bitcoin? I heard about someone buying a house with bitcoin years ago, at the time it was the largest purchase with bitcoin. I want the saint but am intrigued by bitcoin but really know nothing more than what occasionally pops up in the news.

APMEX announced they would start taking it now, and are giving the cash discount for it as well.

edited December 7, 2017 1:18PM

@steveben said:

@pmac said:

anacs grades them

So does ICG.

@steveben said:

@Insider2 said:

you still have some time to figure it out and buy on the dip before it goes to 1M

I was hoping a Bitcoin investor would "spoon-feed" me the info. Just as we do for all the collectors here. Anyway, I changed my approach as I almost forgot how pretty a HR is. I'll take the Bitcoin and cash out when I have enough profit to buy a HR in Proof-66.

PS There were lots of Bitcoin replicas on Ebay at one time. I bought one as a fake for my C/F collection. So if you get into that market go with a reputable source.

@Insider2 said:

@steveben said:

@pmac said:

anacs grades them

So does ICG.

@steveben said:

@Insider2 said:

I was hoping a Bitcoin investor would "spoon-feed" me the info. Just as we do for all the collectors here. Anyway, I changed my approach as I almost forgot how pretty a HR is. I'll take the Bitcoin and cash out when I have enough profit to buy a HR in Proof-66.

PS There were lots of Bitcoin replicas on Ebay at one time. I bought one as a fake for my C/F collection. So if you get into that market go with a reputable source.

VERY few bitcoins exist as actual physical coins. This is not the main way to buy bitcoin.

I was hoping a Bitcoin investor would "spoon-feed" me the info. Just as we do for all the collectors here.

Google "coinbase".

As far as I know, there are no physical cryptocurrency "Coins". Pictures of "bitcoins" are just for show.

@REALGATOR said:

I was hoping a Bitcoin investor would "spoon-feed" me the info. Just as we do for all the collectors here.

Google "coinbase".

As far as I know, there are no physical cryptocurrency "Coins". Pictures of "bitcoins" are just for show.

There are actually a few that are "loaded" somehow. I've seen a few in anacs holders, and might buy one at some point

@jwitten said:

There are actually a few that are "loaded" somehow. I've seen a few in anacs holders, and might buy one at some point

Yes, you are correct. A physical representation was made by a bitcoin user:
    https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Casascius_physical_bitcoins

• partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017 1:52PM

I selected saint because I don't have one and always wanted to buy one.

In reality, bitcoin will most likely be the short term winner. I don't know about long term....but who knows.

For those saying Crypto Currency is stupid, give me the saint anyday. Take a look in the mirror. We shell out serious dough for obsolete coins that have percieved value above it's face and happily exchange them for current dollars. This crypto market is real, it is a bubble, and it will correct It even could go to almost zero, but so can coins.

If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steveben said:

@pmac said:

anacs grades them

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

Umm.... fingernails?

@COCollector said:

@steveben said:

@pmac said:

anacs grades them

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    Bitcoin is a bubble waiting to pop.

That is the crux of the issue. It's not a value question like asking, "do you want a dollar bill, or 4 quarters".

Bitcoins come with a HUGE downside risk, (to go with a big upside reward). Most of us would be risk averse when it comes to 5 figures....and the Saint risk, while certainly not zero, sure seems much lower to me!

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

I've read up a bit about bitcoins but what I have questions about it. What backs the coin for value? Isn't it kind of funny how they sell them for good ol' US cash money? So what happens when the people started them say's ok, they are high enough and decides to get out? You better be getting out at the same time they are getting out. Guess you will have to be on top of it before others cash out and your stuck holding a worthless bag of bitcoins, heck, they could be cashing out right now for all you know.

Yeah, I think I will take the 1907 High Relief Saint

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    Umm.... fingernails?

Not my slab (it's a googled photo).

At first glance the hand looked strange to me. But on closer inspection it looks like a gloved hand.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

@COCollector said:

@jwitten said:
    Umm.... fingernails?

Not my slab (it's a googled photo).

At first glance the hand looked strange to me. But on closer inspection it looks like a gloved hand.

Ahh, good eyes. Kinda freaked me out at first, lol

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will the last sucker to buy a Bitcoin please turn out the lights?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@CaptHenway said:
    Will the last sucker to buy a Bitcoin please turn out the lights?

....In his six million dollar mansion. :)

@ParlousJoe said:
    What backs the coin for value?

they create a distributed decentralized computer network backed up by massive computing power. they are limited to 25M bitcoins, no more can ever be produced. they are not controlled by any central bank.

Isn't it kind of funny how they sell them for good ol' US cash money?

we do the same for gold, oil, etc, for now.

So what happens when the people started them say's ok, they are high enough and decides to get out?

they sell them, just like any other asset?

there was a time when people thought it ludicrous to buy stock in Ford motor company because they made a horseless carriage.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bitcoin broke 20K for a moment today, currently at $16,800

Frank

BHNC #203

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Babboonbobo69 said:
    How can you actually USE bitcoin? I heard about someone buying a house with bitcoin years ago, at the time it was the largest purchase with bitcoin. I want the saint but am intrigued by bitcoin but really know nothing more than what occasionally pops up in the news.

Apmex takes it

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ParlousJoe said:
    I've read up a bit about bitcoins but what I have questions about it. What backs the coin for value? Isn't it kind of funny how they sell them for good ol' US cash money?

Gee whiz Joe, there's nothing backing up that good ol' US cash money either.

I took the bitcoin....at the rate it's going, I'll have three of those high reliefs in another two weeks.....

Congrats to those who would have taken bitcoin. You could now sell it, buy the coin, and have a grand in the bank.

• coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

@steveben said:

@Insider2 said:

I guess this would be considered a "dipped" bit coin?

BT&C
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017 7:17PM

Rare coins are nostalgic but are the past. Bitcoin is one possible future.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017 7:48PM

I can't verify but my Mom told me she saw on TV paypal is now excepting Bitcoins! Any truth to this? I for one wouldn't trust them farther than I can sneeze!

@Babboonbobo69 said:

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017 8:50PM

The physical form of bit coin is really not the bit coin, (these are just tokens made for storage, some of which are highly collectible in themselves) but its just a temporary carrier for the computer code than it embedded or attached to it. I didn't really understand all that until I had a guy who specializes in it give me a lesson on how it works and used. Theoretically, you could take any physical coin, embed the code into it or on it and transfer the bit coin to the physical form until its time to be used, then transfer it back to the log or wallat , account , etc

Oh I might add, this guy came in three weeks ago, when bit coin was 7800.00 , told me Id better get on ,it would be 15k by years end, he!!, were already pass that .

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TLeverage said:
    any fellow Ethereum fans?

I like Ethereum a lot and started looking into it's advantages recently.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Absinthe!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absinthe maketh the heart grow flounder.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Babboonbobo69 said:

JM Bullion accepts BC's :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

And so the ride continues... well.. let's see what the next week brings... What goes up, comes down... question is, will it be a soft landing or crash..... Get your popcorn, the main event is about to begin. Cheers, RickO

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it crashes, you can be sure that some smarta$$ (like myself) will crack a joke like "Why do they call it a Bitcoin?" "'Cause it sure done bit the dust!"

RareCoin it is. Perhaps a bit of a bias here :)

• TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Bitcoin will be at $50k within 2 yrs. There's little downside at this point. Its never going to completely bottom out. There's too much institutional money waiting to get it and the ability to buy Bitcoin is very limited. So that will also keep the price inflated.

Try to buy $1 million in Bitcoin - you cant. Try to buy $250,000 in Bitcoin in one day - its not like buying stock or gold. You cant get in or out fast. And there's enough people waiting to get in the price will rebound. There's only 16 million Bitcoin currently and 1/4 of that is lost and gone forever... and there will only be 21 million mined. What happens to the price when we hit 21 million mined ?

At this point I am seriously considering selling off my collection to put it all into BitCoin...

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    There is only one thing that could stop bitcoin now.
    And that would be MY buying even the tiniest fraction of one.

The tiniest fraction would be .00000001 bitcoin. Or about 1/60 of a cent.

Are you sure you can afford it? If not, maybe a group of us could form a syndicate!

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file