Home Sports Talk
Options

Can't believe this isn't being discussed today

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

the shot that Gronk put on Tre'Davious White is about the cheapest i think i have ever seen. makes my skin crawl every time i watch it.

yet another reminder of just how big of a joke the NFL is when it comes to player safety. supposedly espousing all sorts of changes and cracking down harder than ever before, but when a marquee player loses his cool and single-handedly thrusts another player into concussion protocol, it's..........................one game.

why? because two or more games means missing the uber-important tilt against the Steelers, which could very well determine the road to the Super Bowl in the AFC.

the NFL is disgusting. it is run by a bevy of gutless posers. i usually do not allow sports to get to me, but i'm pissed beyond recognition right now.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping for two games as well but for nefarious reasons. My son has Gronk in Fanasty Football and we square off in the playoffs in two weeks

It was awfully malicious

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a cheap shot no doubt but not the worse thing I’ve seen. It was obvious Gronk was heated at getting blatantly held and then having the kid pick off the throw and no flag thrown. That was as big of a joke as the Cheap shot. Either way he got punished and deservedly so.

• Options

Btw if THAT makes your skin crawl then please don’t look up the Charles Martin cheap shot on Jim McMahon back in the mid 80’s lol

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Btw if THAT makes your skin crawl then please don’t look up the Charles Martin cheap shot on Jim McMahon back in the mid 80’s lol

Or Terry Bradshaw being pile driven into the turf.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2017 5:37PM

It was pretty bad but one game is inline with other cheap shots. I blame bill for this though, why were Gronk and Brady even on the field ? Why were they passing , they should have been running out the clock at that point with the B team on the field

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    It was pretty bad but one game is inline with other cheap shots. I blame bill for this though, why were Gronk and Brady even on the field ? Why were they passing , they should have been running out the clock at that point with the B team on the field

Belichick has a long history of never pulling his starters and not easing up when the game is in hand. He's been criticized for it in the past but at this point, he's not going to change and it's hard to argue with his results.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of suspensions Talib got 2 games for nothing special a few weeks ago , now that was ridiculous

• Options

Belichek clearly states he will never take is guys off the field while the other team has enough “Possessions “ left to potentially tie or win, I think it’s stupid and moronic as evidenced by the time Gronk broke his arm during a stupid extra point try in a blowout win late in the 4th quarter. Hopefully it don’t bite him in the rear end again

• Options

if i had been a Bills teammate i might have been arrested on the field for my chosen form of retribution

the part that really irks me is just how spineless the league is. if you really want to set a precedent, make the guy miss the most important game of the season. absolutely nothing about that sucker hit screamed one game to me. but i guess if he's not even going to be tossed from the game, then anything more than a slap on the wrist is wishful thinking

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    if i had been a Bills teammate i might have been arrested on the field for my chosen form of retribution

the part that really irks me is just how spineless the league is. if you really want to set a precedent, make the guy miss the most important game of the season. absolutely nothing about that sucker hit screamed one game to me. but i guess if he's not even going to be tossed from the game, then anything more than a slap on the wrist is wishful thinking

I think from the field it didnt look so bad , so maybe thats why he didnt get tossed. The sideline camera angle is the one that looks awful. But no one field official could see that in real time

• Options

if Tom Brady had been on the receiving end of that hit, the probability of the perpetrator receiving one game would have been roughly the same as garnettstyle wearing Crimson Tide undies to bed

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2017 6:56PM

@galaxy27 said:
    if Tom Brady had been on the receiving end of that hit, the probability of the perpetrator receiving one game would have been roughly the same as garnettstyle wearing Crimson Tide undies to bed

Go watch the game film for last week's Pats-Fins game,there were 2-3 shots on him far worse than Gronk's hit. Suh had a Vicious hit,Wake practically punched him in the groin,taking Brady's feet out from him. then there was Kiko Alonzo slamming Brady hard after the ball was gone. All three were more vicious than that Gronk hit and only Kiko got flagged.

edit: i'm not defending Gronk,that was a really dumb move and he deserves the game suspension. I'm just pointing out that defensive players have been teeing off on Brady weekly this season.

• Options
    edited December 4, 2017 7:14PM

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

Go watch the game film for last week's Pats-Fins game,there were 2-3 shots on him far worse than Gronk's hit. Suh had a Vicious hit,Wake practically punched him in the groin,taking Brady's feet out from him. then there was Kiko Alonzo slamming Brady hard after the ball was gone. All three were more vicious than that Gronk hit and only Kiko got flagged.

edit: i'm not defending Gronk,that was a really dumb move and he deserves the game suspension. I'm just pointing out that defensive players have been teeing off on Brady weekly this season.

were those hits purely intentional and after the whistle, too? did Brady enter concussion protocol as a result of one or more of them, too?

i'd be careful with the far worse and more vicious comments. the kind of senseless hit that White absorbed is the kind that shaves years off your life

• Options
    edited December 4, 2017 7:34PM

Yes all of the hits on Brady were intentional and being after the whistle didn't matter seeing that they were absolutely more vicious hits than gronk's. Suh's hit on Brady was considered the most "legal"of the three and i don't know how Brady even got up after that one without heading to the concussion protocol. it was head to head and Brady went flying and tore a huge chunk of skin on his arm when he landed. that was absolutely the most vicious hit i've ever seen brady take. At least his acl injury in 2008 was while attempting to tackle him. Suh teed off on him with the intent to knock him from the game. Its his goal vs NE everytime they play.

• Options

Some real cheap shots tonight in Pitt-Cin game. The Smith-Schuster hit and then him standing over a motionless Burfict like some kind of idiot afterwards was particularly offensive.

• Options
    edited December 4, 2017 10:13PM

@grote15 said:
    Some real cheap shots tonight in Pitt-Cin game. The Smith-Schuster hit and then him standing over a motionless Burfict like some kind of idiot afterwards was particularly offensive.

Between all the cheap shots, borderline penalities called, actually penalties and injuries it was brutal and borderline unwatchable. Awful product tonight.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

Between all the cheap shots, borderline penalities called, actually penalties and injuries it was brutal and borderline unwatchable. Awful product tonight.

mark

Agreed. Way too many flags and stoppages.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

mark

Glad I didn't watch tonight. With the Chiefs reeling, I may be done watching them.
    Thank God for KU basketball.
    That will get me through winter sportswise until the Royals start playing again.

• Options

@Darin said:

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

mark

Glad I didn't watch tonight. With the Chiefs reeling, I may be done watching them.
    Thank God for KU basketball.
    That will get me through winter sportswise until the Royals start playing again.

Darin, I haven't been paying attention. Who are the Royals going to be able sign best case? I'd hate to see the team broke up.

mark

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Word is they want to keep Hosmer the most. And probably Moose next. Don't know if its possible though.
    Rumors that the Yankees and Red Sox are really interested in Hosmer. And they say Moose would like to play in California
    which is where he grew up.I hope if the Royals don't sign him the Angels do. Would like to see Mike Trout get to play in the postseason and I think Moose would do very well with the Angels.

• Options
    edited December 5, 2017 4:26AM

Tim , Burfict of all people actually had a cheap shot coming his way as payback for all the questionable hits he has dished out, between him and Suh I’m shocked nobody has taken their knees out or something already. I sure didn’t get offended over any part of the play

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

mark

You are now catching on. NFL has been painful on the eyes for half a decade.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Tim , Burfict of all people actually had a cheap shot coming his way as payback for all the questionable hits he has dished out, between him and Suh I’m shocked nobody has taken their knees out or something already. I sure didn’t get offended over any part of the play

I know he's had his fair share of cheap shots from the other side but that doesn't excuse the behavior of Smith-Schuster.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who thinks that the entire NFL isn't motivated by money above all else is deluding themselves. And I don't just mean the owners.

Player safety is so far down on the priority list of owners AND players. Players deliver cheap hits and take cheap shots to each other all game long. In some cases, it's been coached in (and those coaches keep working). Quarterbacks waive off concussion protocol in game and there's no consequence. Helmet to helmet hits go uncalled religiously. The players make these decisions too - largely financially motivated.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited December 5, 2017 12:07PM

a few hours after i created this thread, Bengals/Steelers happened. clearly these guys aren't getting the message. but then again, when your discipline consists of not being able to go outside for recess, this should come as no surprise.

for the record, i'm no longer pissed off at Gronk; i'm infuriated with JuJu. i like that dude but that was a punk ass move for the ages. insta-suspension, but i'm sure he'll be taken to the corner and spoken to in a soft voice.

eta: if this continues, i'm going to start typing in all caps with copious exclamation marks.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    a few hours after i created this thread, Bengals/Steelers happened. clearly these guys aren't getting the message. but then again, when your discipline consists of not being able to go outside for recess, this should come as no surprise.

for the record, i'm no longer pissed off at Gronk; i'm infuriated with JuJu. i like that dude but that was a punk ass move for the ages. insta-suspension, but i'm sure he'll be taken to the corner and spoken to in a soft voice.

eta: if this continues, i'm going to start typing in all caps with copious exclamation marks.

Dimeman's already got that covered, Stephen, lol..

• Options

:smiley:

• Options

Out of character for Gronk and he absolutely deserves the punishment, Ju Ju doesn’t deserve a suspension, he hit him clean and probably didn’t realize he injured him, as far as Bufict is concerned Live by the sword die by the sword no sorrow for him whatsoever

• Options

Ju Ju got a game suspension. Bad timing on his part and his glowering over Burfict sealed his fate

Juju and Gronk will be back for the Steelers-Pats game. That's all that's important ; )

mark

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

mark

You are now catching on. NFL has been painful on the eyes for half a decade.

Nah. This was the exception. Steelers and Bengals have a blood sport feud. They bring out the worst in each other. Trust me if any other games remotely looked like this I wouldn't watch

m

• Options

I definitely want both the Pats and Steelers back at full strength for their matchup for sure, I honestly don’t think the Steelers can hang with the Pats though.

• Options
    edited December 5, 2017 3:15PM

Even with all the flags and stoppages in play last night, there was some terrific action. Antonio Brown is a clear cut HOFer at this point, IMO. What he does on the gridiron is truly amazing, especially considering he was playing hurt to the point of visibly limping after the game. How he held onto that TD pass was incredible.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was Gronk appealing with his one game suspension? Just saw that the appeal was denied, before I'd heard he was appealing.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    What was Gronk appealing with his one game suspension? Just saw that the appeal was denied, before I'd heard he was appealing.

I read quite a few comments yesterday on ESPN that the player's union automatically appeals all player suspensions. I don't know how accurate that is but it was repeated quite a bit.

• Options
    edited December 5, 2017 5:01PM

Gronk appeal was definitely a union thing, let’s not forget that this 1 game suspension will or could potentially cost Gronk much more than a game check, his contract has incentives ie the amount of game snaps played and stats he actually gets. I posted them below...

• Options

2017 Incentives (all NLTBE)
    70% snaps OR 60 rec/800 yards OR 10 TD: $1M
    80% snaps OR 70 rec OR 1,000 yards OR 12 TD: $3M
    90% snaps OR 80 rec/ 1,200 yards, 14 TD OR All Pro selection: $5.5M

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, must be automatic. JuJu's was denied too. Glad to see the union takes care of their lawyers.